• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What do you "approach " with?

My approach disc depends on the situation for me. We play in a lot of thick woods. If it is under 120', and straight, it's my blowfly. If it's 120-150' probably my champ panther. If I have to come in anhyzer, either my pro pig, or my gator depending upon the angle and the distance< I flick those forehand>. For a hyzer approach, depending on distance, and angle of the hyzer I use my omega ss, my soft pro ryno, or my pig. 80% of the time though I will use my 172g blowfly....only exception is open area with strong winds.

It a tough thing, since there are such a variety of shots that fall under the term "upshot" and so many discs that you can use. I've used a big bead Aviar for a long time, but I used a Wizard most of this year and I've been using a Voodoo for the last couple of weeks. I like something that is slightly overstable without a ton of glide that I can accurately put by the basket. But situations can dictate other things. Wind is something that comes into play more and more this time of year, and yesterday I made a lot of approach shots with a Sentinel. I needed something that would penetrate better into the wind, and the glide wasn't that much of a factor as the wind kept knocking my shots down way short of their usual distance anyway. Not that I necessarily think the Sentinel is 100% the best disc in that situation, but it was what I had in my bag and I made it work.

I consider it a dual decision, whatever I decide to use for short drives will be the disc I use for approaches and putts. I can't see carrying a Voodoo for short drives AND and Aviar for upshots AND something else to actually putt with when I can do all three with one disc. As a result, I've never really sat down and thought about what disc would be best for an upshot. For me my best disc for an upshot has always just been my putter.

i have a discraft stratus x and that seems to work really well for me. its says its a driver but really its more like a midrange. good disc that stays flat, i even use it to putt sometimes because it works so well

Anything under 150 feet, I will use either a wizard, warlock, or a voodoo. 250 to 150 I use a skeeter for anhyzer and a star kite for straight or slight hyzers. I carry a star gator for extreme hyzer approaches and for stiff winds but other than that it stays in the bag. My star kite is a CFR early run and it is surprising stable for a kite.

You could try DX XD for making any approach shots. Don't get the Star XD, its too overstable.

Like Three Putt said, it depends on situations. I use DX Aviar P&A, DX XD, U-2 Upshot, and D Challenger for making various approach shots within 175 ft.

Well, my DX Classic Roc did quite well today. That disc went were I wanted, and even sunk a 100ft birdie putt on #18. Great way to finish a round. I was well please.

For me my best disc for an upshot has always just been my putter.

Im with Three putt on this one. I love my soft banger gt (although i recently dyed it the colour of ham, woops!) After a couple of rounds it lost is mild overstablility to become a very straight putter for me. So for upshots the decision was logical. Banger GT ESP. Hold stability longer, great for long approaches, short drives and everything in between.

So what ever you putt with, its problably a good idea to get the same discs in again (in better tree fairing plastic) for upshots\drives. If it doenst work out you have a spare putter!!

putter, roc if it's windy, occasionally the star max sidearm or overhand.

my guess is if you took all the guys rated 1000+ you'd find that the vast majority will say roc (or buzzz or whatever gateway disc is the same as a roc) and putter.

I'd say to use whatever putter you use. If your putter can't be used for approaches at that distance, get a new putter. The Magnet should work great.

Discraft Pro-D Banger-GT

Discraft Pro-D Banger-GT
They hold a line and are stable enough to handle a slight headwind. The deeper rim keeps the disc from skipping when approaching on packed dirt or pine needles. You will either LOVE this disc or HATE it. My hand fits the groove perfectly and therefore feels great. If a disc "feels right" in your hand, you and that disc become close friends and the two of you start saving strokes. ;-)

If you purchase one of these discs (and I highly recommend it), get it in Pro-D plastic. The cheaper plastic doesn't take well to kissing trees, yet it keeps the 'grippyness' that you'll feel when the disc is new. If you like the disc, you can always order more. If you don't like it, find someone who throws it and offer them a deal. They'll take it.

I have a Banger GT and I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, so I keep it in the closet. Anyone who wants it, make me an offer. I am in the market for more Classic Rocs.

I lost my Aurora the other day and the only disc store open just carried Discraft. And they didn't have an Buzz's. But they had this disc called an Impact. They listed it as a long range driver but it felt a lot like a mid range so I bought it. I LOVE THIS DISC. It is dead straight and is my new disc of choice for approach shots.

Now if I need to hook right or left I will use something different.

The Roc is okay, I guess, but it's a hard one to learn to throw. Or maybe I just had to get mine beat in enough. I dunno. What I do know is my Coyote was easy to control with any throw -- forehand, backhand, overhand, you name it -- right from the start. No breaking in necessary, and for me no learning curve. :D

I lost my Aurora the other day and the only disc store open just carried Discraft. And they didn't have an Buzz's. But they had this disc called an Impact. They listed it as a long range driver but it felt a lot like a mid range so I bought it. I LOVE THIS DISC. It is dead straight and is my new disc of choice for approach shots.

Now if I need to hook right or left I will use something different.

That was last year's Ace Race disc and has had a home in my bag since then. It replaced my Innova Leopard. ;-)

Latest posts