• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do to get out of a funk?

Legend KILLer

Bogey Member
So recently I have been on the worst run possible. I haven't played this bad since... I can't even remember. Does the DGCR universe have any advice to get me back on track?

I've tried taking a week and a half break but no improvement. Every time I step up to putt (my putting is what is mainly causing me problems) I feel off. What do you think?

practice,practice and then when your through with that-practice some more.
Ask questions,here and to golfers on what ever course your on about their putting.Practice.
Watch videos on putting from youtube(or wherever else you can find them)Practice
When you get ready to make a putt tell yourself...yeah I can make this (and mean it,its as much mental as it is physical)Practice

just gotta keep throwing like you cant miss, keep the confidence high .

for me i start missing when i dont trust myself enough to throw hard (pussing out so to speak)

Its karma dude. You gotta stop killing legends!

I kick things and scream obscenities and forehand my putters at the chains as hard as humanly possible.

Ok, I'm kidding, the advice above is great, just go work on putts you know you can make and really focus on building confidence. Approach each putt with the attitude that you're going to make it, don't even consider the possibility of missing it.

Approach each putt with the attitude that you're going to make it, don't even consider the possibility of missing it.
good advice somebody was telling me on here that i shouldnt putt with a cro because of blow-bys and i was thinking why would i worry about that , sure they made a good point but i just blew it off because i always hit the basket:rolleyes:at least thats what i tell myself ;) confidence dillusion same thing:)

also legend killer when you practice putting and if you have more than one of the disc you putt with try standing by the basket and throwing your putters in all different directions and at different distances that will give you a more realistic practice that will simulate the nerves of putting for real (to quote sniper "one shot one kill")

When I get in a funk I always go play the easiest course I can find. It helps me focus on fundamentals and regain a positive attitude.

I don't usually have long bouts of bad play. It's usually one really bad round. When that happens, I just stop playing for a while and get the bad taste out of my mouth. Then I come back with a better attitude and that one round won't turn into many.

when i play bad i just play more.

i remember one time i was pissed i couldnt hit a bird so i kept playing after everyone left and just kept playing until i realized it was almost one in the morning and id been playing for i dont know how long , long story short i never hit a bird but i did par the two hardest holes which alot of players barely ever par and rarely do it in the same round i figured that was good enough plus i could hardly walk anymore with all the pain so i felt that was good enough .

good thing was i got all my bad rounds out and didnt get arrested

When I hit a string of bad holes, I usually stop for a breather and think back on what I did wrong. Take a few minutes to recollect myself and finish out strong. No matter how bad I'm playing, I still finish out the round. A round unfinished is a round wasted.

Visualize your putt going in and if you miss, at least you perceived it going in with your mind, and what is reality if not perception?

I go back to basics if I go into a funk. The best method for defunkification is to simplify, imho.

The only rounds I have ever not finished are due to injury or dangerous weather.
Other than that I refuse to quit. Matter of principle.

Well...I'm in a big funk right now...I think it came about by not playing for a couple weeks while I was car shopping. Hopefully once I get back to a round a day it will come back pretty quick.

I just take a break and remove myself from actually playing the game for a few days to a week. I then come back calm and relaxed and stomp the evil course into the ground! Wee!

I will often play a round or two with 1 or 2 discs only. Helps me get back to shot-making, rather than performing exactly one function with each disc.

Typically when Im playing I notice that I get really competitive and angry if I do something wrong (like lose a disc in the drink) and then after that I throw like crap, so what I started doing is thinking to myself "This is a game, Im doing this for fun" and make a conscious effort to not get too mad (doesnt always work but oh well :D ) And as lame as it sounds, for me the less I care the better I do.

Latest posts