• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you like to see in a club's website?

fatherchris

We're talking tonight about getting up a website for the scene here in Emporia. Other than league times, regular events, and local courses, what cool stuff should we weave in to the website? What features have you seen elsewhere?

-Chris

I just wish there was more activity on our club's site.
Facebook has all the action now...:/

Something not facebook. Many of us are not interested. I use club sites while visiting from out of town often. Good local course information, league night info and a few contact names, email address for anyone willing to answer a couple quick questions or even willing to guide. Good luck.

I use club sites while visiting from out of town often. Good local course information,...email address for anyone willing to answer a couple quick questions or even willing to guide. Good luck.
^^THIS

When I went to Richmond this past weekend, I could only find a 6 year old map for Bryan Park. Went and played and was lucky enough to hook up with some people who played their often. Other wise I would have been quite lost.

As full a schedule as can be posted for anything at any course within the club's purview, and beyond if you can. I'm talking leagues, tournaments, clinics, everything. And for each listing, a link to a flyer or a page with comprehensive info about that event (who, what, where, when, why, how much)...a one-click place to find all the pertinent info one needs to attend. Ideally, that link does not take you to a Facebook page/event or a forum thread. Those can be good supplements to an event listing, but it shouldn't be the primary way for people to get info. Don't make me wade through trash talk and speculation and guesswork to find out how much it costs or where I can sign up or what time the first round starts.

Beyond that, as much detail as possible about the courses in the area...pictures, scorecards, maps. Make it easy to find and navigate the courses in the area.

Course maps and scorecards. Ace brag board. Bag tag top ten. Links to other DG resources like this one or neighboring clubs.

Use disc golf scene. I website is a waste of money. Oh and screw facebook.

While I am in no means a reflection of the average disc golfer, I have never once been to Disc Golf Scene but have been to plenty of local club's pages. I doubt I am alone in this, but if I am, so be it.

Tournament results, upcoming events/meetings, local course locations, maps and dates when pins being moved/pulled. Facebook dominates the club crap now. Used to have a forum, nobody used it, got taken down, kind of lame, but it is what it is.

While I am in no means a reflection of the average disc golfer, I have never once been to Disc Golf Scene but have been to plenty of local club's pages. I doubt I am alone in this, but if I am, so be it.

DGS is a fabulous Michigan resource. Seems to be regional though. Active participation by club members, TD's, tournament players and chuckers alike. Nearly all of our tournament sign up done through it as well. I wish it was more nationally used.

Think about a club website as a resource for the club members, and outsiders or travelers. They're looking for different things, and a good site should cater to both.

Lots of good stuff already posted, so I'll just add one:

If the club runs league play, doubles, whatever, post current standings. It gives members a reason to visit the site.

Beyond that, Facebook has replaced forums, and is fine for current conversation but not much for resources. Have a Facebook page, and link to it from the club website. Have a link to the club website pinned on the Facebook page.

Definitely have a page with contact information for the BOD members, decision makers, etc. and keep it updated. Also, be sure to thank all of your sponsors, volunteers, etc. and if you have a message board include the rules of civility. A page for etiquette, bag tag rules, rules of the game, etc. are also beneficial.

If your website is for an organized club or association:

Then it would be good to think of the website as the physical manifestation of what you want your club to portray. Lead with your mission, purpose, etc. Describe why you are a club, what great asset you are to the community, etc... sell it.

Then, move onto event listings (official calendar of club sponsored events)
then break out into the services that members really want on subsequent pages off the front page.

The website frontpage should look clean, understandable to community groups "checking you out", and people of influence "checking you out". Most of those people will drop off after the frontpage, and you can get all your info dispensing done after that.

"Club Facebook" should have the same clean face - the official one for all positive, no drama, no trolling for negatives.

Then... "working facebook" should take over the role of working information - player posts, chats, dirty laundry, etc... under a different name than the club, maybe with a town or regional identifier.

One type of visitor I have not seen mentioned (and often overlooked) is the newbie thinking about geting more involved. it's easy to intimidate these folks.

We're talking tonight about getting up a website for the scene here in Emporia. Other than league times, regular events, and local courses, what cool stuff should we weave in to the website? What features have you seen elsewhere?

-Chris

Personally, I wouldn't get real hung up on making the web site some fancy and cool layout like this one:

http://www.newhanoverdgc.com/index.php

(That site looks great by the way)

Unless you have someone with a talent for that sort of stuff. I would make a real point of making sure that all your club info is UP TO DATE and easily found from the homepage. Maybe I'm just jaded but no layout or web site gadgets or anything like that impresses me anymore but what does impress me is a site with good information. Another thing that I really like is the ability to register on line for events via either Paypal from the club site or a tidy link to DGS or wherever.

A widget or whatever it's called to the Facebook page is a great idea along with a links to whatever other social media your club members might use regularly. I personally wouldn't use Facebook or Twitter or anything like formal announcements or news but as a place people can share stuff like photos, ideas, etc.

I believe club web sites have become obsolete and emphasis should be put on your FB page. With that said web sites are good to maintain for out of town golfers and to sell stuff.