• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you throw in the wind?

lilbuzjr

Par Member
Does the wind speed and direction determine what disc you throw?
I hear some discs are really good in headwinds and almost useless anywhere else? Have you had this experience?

What do you throw in a head wind?
What do you throw with the wind?
What do you throw ween going sideways through the wind?

Most headwinds: Banshee
Ridiculously strong headwinds: Force

Tailwinds: Sidewinder

Cross-wind: Totally depends upon the hole, but it'll probably be a teebird or eagle

Head- Boss or XCal
Tail- Beast or Wraith
Left Wind- Beast
Right Wind- XCal

I'm LHBH.....But it really matters what is required of me to drive the whole and wind velocity. Those are just basically what I use in those situations for a straight shot

depending on the strength of the wind of course.....

straight headwind = Katana (w/hyzer) or Boss or XXX
Left to right = TL (hyzered)
right to left = Striker, forehand hyzer with a Wraith
Tailwind = 150g Teebird, Roadrunner

So many variables here. I think the direction of the fairway is usually more influential for me than the wind. If the fairway goes right, I'll probably throw a newer Avenger. If it's going left, I'll throw a Predator. Keep in mind though, wind changes strength and direction so quickly. I probably couldn't give you a great answer unless we were both on the same hole, feeling the same wind.

Depends on distance, really. In general, I throw a more stable version (newish) into the wind and a less stable version (beaten in) with the wind. Often a slower disc does well with the wind, too, for a given distance. If it's a strong headwind drive, it's typically my Predator or Whippet if it's less than 320ish.

Cross winds can introduce a few weird things. On a right to left, a disc that turns too much can get blown down fast and a disc that hyzers can blow so far left in could land in another zip code. In general, I'll try to keep the disc lower, if accuracy is really important. Usually, I'll try a disc that will tend to fight against the direction. And the opposite, of course, is true for a left to right wind.

Actually the thread talks about throwing with a head wind and tail wind, so it is pretty much the same. But I wasn't going to yell at a kid to use the search feature.

Well, i was looking for people to just list what they use (like a poll, but completely open)
I was looking for explanations
I'm just curious as to what other people use, not looking for help

Headwind from straight on to about 45% either side of straight = Illusion
Tailwind from straight on to about 45% either side of straight = Archangel (Maybe be moving to a Leopard soon. Something a little more stable.)
Crossing wind left to right or right to left fighting it = Archangel. Riding it = Illusion. Both with the appropriate release angle. Of course this all depends on the wind speed and terrain. If it isn't really windy I'll just use my go to Polaris.

Strong Headwind- Max or CFR Viper
Strong Tailwind- Sidewinder or Stingray
Strong Crosswind- Anything, depending on what I'm trying to do

distance headwind = Force
fairway headwind = Predator
mid headwind = Drone

distance tailwind = Surge
fairway tailwind = Stalker
mid tailwind = Buzzz

for side winds I show the underside of overstable and the topside of understable.

all p&a's are with challenger.

Last edited:
Headwind - OLF
Ridiculous headwind - Firebird or EXP1
Tailwind - OLS
Hard or gusty tailwind - Polaris LS
Crosswinds either way - JLS
Calm - OLS or light OLF

My answer for head wind is a 172 Star Boss
Tail wind can be either a leopard (I have a 150 and 172) or a 147 wraith
No wind: depends on the hole, but I am playing around with a QK II, 170 Stalker, and 166 wraith.

Last time I played in high winds I used a Pro Destroyer for headwinds/crosswinds and an old Pro Wraith for tailwinds. My midrange game suffers in high winds. Not sure what to use.

Last time I played in high winds I used a Pro Destroyer for headwinds/crosswinds and an old Pro Wraith for tailwinds. My midrange game suffers in high winds. Not sure what to use.

I use a Sentinel MF - just a tad more stable than a Roc. It flies low and fights the wind.