• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you use for Glow rounds

I heard there was some kind of high power camera flash that would instantly charge a glo disc. Does anyone else know anything about that?

i haven't heard of that but i can tell you that the problem with that is when the flash goes off you're going to blind yourself. it'll take time for your eyes to readjust.

Currently using my Eclipse Axis with an LED taped on, a glow Voodoo (no LED), and one BAF flashlight. Found that a cool white LED drop-in in my flashlight worked much better than the UV drop-in that I was using.

It's a great setup as the Axis is versatile and really handles power well (think borderline fairway) and lights up well because of the clear flight plate and glow rim. The Voodoo gets a short charge up every other hole for close range putting duties.

I'm gonna miss playing glow rounds here in another week. :(

If you stick your disc in a bag and use an external flash it will work without blinding you. Preferably one of those insulted bags that are lined with silver. This would work but isn't nearly as effective as buying a UV flashlight.

Here's what I prefer:
ska_mh.jpg

As far as discs go, glow champion plastic is the best I've found. I haven't messed around with LED's yet.

I use glow discs, same ones that hold a spot in my regular bag. I've never list a glow disc and never been in a group where one was lost either.
I have however heard that sweet sound of the tape ripping off upon tree impact and seen the glow stick/ led go flying in the opposite direction of the disc :p I don't understand people that can't see glow discs or say they won't hold a charge long enough, we glow year round and with our $14 UV flashlights have no problems.

I use this stuff:
ducttransparent.jpg

If it comes off from hitting a tree you suck at putting on tape. I hit trees like fat kids eat cake........like it's my job!!! Regular packaging tape is failure waiting to happen. But if you're super picky about your stamp don't use it, it has pulled off parts of my stamps before

that clear duct tape works awesome! I use the LED's and they will probably last 10+ rounds, I don't play that much glow but I've never had one burn out on me yet.

I have 4 discs that I just leave the light taped on at all times (on the bottom), that duct tape is pretty hardcore to be taking off/putting on all the time -- will peel your stamp if you put it on the top of the disc.

There is a glow league on Fridays and with out the snow we will use Glowies or just put a piece of glow tape on the top and bottom. When there is snow we will use the bobber lights or tape the LED lights to the bottom or top depending on the plastic see thoroughness. Also, a black light or black LED flashlight is the way to go for sure. It GREATLY speeds up lighting the discs up.

I use packing tape to tape the actual LED light as to water proof it, then I use the clear white color super duct tape. Works like a charm, we've had them sit in the river with the LED on the whole time and pull them out still working fine.

I use 3M medical tape (the white, stretchy kind) and it is 100% reliable. My discs hit trees, float down streams, and generally endure all kinds of chaos. I have never ever had to replace it during a round.

other than that look for how many LEDs are in the flashlight. to get a good one you'll probably be spending around anywhere from 50-100. you can get them for around 20 but those aren't that bright.

I dunno.... I got one with 21 UV LEDs for $7.50 on eBay and it is bright as hell.

I play at night about twice a week...Champion discs are the best and we just use a little LED light and charge the disc once after every hole with two or three quick laps around the outside of the disc and they are good to go. So far we haven't lost a disc yet and we don't usually have much trouble at all finding them as long as you watch and listen.

Niteize "hole-in-ones" are the bomb proof way to go.
Just get your favorite clear discs in as light a weight as u can find because they add 10 grams.

I play glow with New regularly. I will say it also depends on the type of glow plastic you are charging. I have found that DX and older champ plastic do not hold the charge as much as newer champ plastic. I have played about 10+ glow rounds this winter - never lost a disc - we aren't talking pitch and putt courses. In fact, on some of these NC wooded courses, which have fairways that are covered with leaves, glow discs are easier to find at night than "normal" plastic is during the day.

Also, I second the comment on don't shine your normal flashlights. They absolutely kill night vision.

I use Discrafts z-glow line discs and a ultra violet lamp.

tried sticking lights to discs and tried those discs with built in led's and a battery in the middle and they all flew like sh*t. The discraft glow lines are great, specialy because I use the same molds for my normal play aswell and they fly just the same.

^^^^
do you just tape them to the bottom of your disc?
Yes. Two of them inside the rim on a driver and a mid with clear duct tape. I use a glow disc for my putter.

They do tend to make the flight a bit more stable, which I like.

I just bought a glow DX TeeBird. Right now I'm only charging it with a flashlight, and charge it about 15 seconds or so for every shot. I shanked one into pretty deep into woods and found it no problem. Now that the weathers starting to turn around I'm doing glow every Friday and Saturday with my buddy.

Latest posts