• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What does everyone think is the most shallow rim putt and approach disc is?

Envy yes, but the spike never felt shallow to me. Felt average depth somewhat like an aviarish

Too lazy to go check the pdga specs list, but Summits are pretty shallow.

I was actually going to ask the same question until I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks to the OP and to everyone else for the input. I just cant seem to find a putter I can consistently release cleanly. I know it's most likely technique but everything with deep rims just seems to grab my fingers on release and really screw with my putts. Thanks again everyone.

For actual putting, you really should use a disc that performs best as a putter - one that can be released flat at slow speeds and fly fairly straight towards the target. I played the back 9 the other day with a guy who started playing this year and he was putting with a Shark. I asked him why, and he told me because he didn't like the feel of putters. Because of the inherent overstability of that disc at slow speed, he was basically throwing spike hyzers at the chains. It was brutal to watch. He lucked out on maybe 2 putts inside of 30' and 3 putted a couple of holes he should have had birdies on.

I've never thrown a Summit or Chief, but the Pure is a lower profile disc that is excellent for putting.

Most of the better low profile discs from 50'-250' have already been mentioned.

there is a real answer to this question but im too tired to look it up. Some very low profile putters out there though wedge is up there for sure in my memory.. also a DC disc but I cant think of the name.

MANUFACTURER / DISC MODEL Rim Depth (cm)
Dynamic/Destiny Discs Jeteye 1.1
Dynamic/Destiny Discs Long Ranger 1.1
Innova-Champion Discs Classic Ace 1.1
Innova-Champion Discs Aviar XD 1.1
Discraft Phantom 1.1
Discraft Phantom+ 1.1
Discraft Phantom Light 1.1
CHING Sports Stinger 1.2
Wham-O / DTW 91 Mold 1.2
Discraft Ringer 1.2
Vibram Disc Golf Summit 1.2
Innova-Champion Discs Aviar XD (retooled) 1.2
Innova-Champion Discs Classic Roc 1.2
Lightning Discs Thunderbolt 1.2
Discmania P3 - Putt & Approach 1.2
Innova-Champion Discs Wedge 1.2
Yikun Sports Wings 1.2
Disc Golf Association Proline Breaker 1.2

MANUFACTURER / DISC MODEL Rim Depth (cm)
Dynamic/Destiny Discs Jeteye 1.1
Dynamic/Destiny Discs Long Ranger 1.1
Innova-Champion Discs Classic Ace 1.1
Innova-Champion Discs Aviar XD 1.1
Discraft Phantom 1.1
Discraft Phantom+ 1.1
Discraft Phantom Light 1.1
CHING Sports Stinger 1.2
Wham-O / DTW 91 Mold 1.2
Discraft Ringer 1.2
Vibram Disc Golf Summit 1.2
Innova-Champion Discs Aviar XD (retooled) 1.2
Innova-Champion Discs Classic Roc 1.2
Lightning Discs Thunderbolt 1.2
Discmania P3 - Putt & Approach 1.2
Innova-Champion Discs Wedge 1.2
Yikun Sports Wings 1.2
Disc Golf Association Proline Breaker 1.2

:clap: Well done Joshmo

It would be cool to have a spreadsheet that lists all the specific dimensions, speeds, glide, and stability of every disc. Then you could filter the results to quickly answer questions such as the one above. Does inflight list disc/rim dimensions? I haven't been on their site for awhile because my browser is too old.

Google "PDGA Approved Discs"

They have exactly what you want in both PDF and XLS formats on the PDGA site. Why look at any other resource?

Yep, that's awesome. I just saw what kevdiv linked... it would be even better if it had the speed and stability ratings. So if the OP wanted a shallow, overstable putter, the results could be filtered for a certain speed, rim depth, and HSS. I might start working on that. 727 approved discs... this might take awhile.

Yep, that's awesome. I just saw what kevdiv linked... it would be even better if it had the speed and stability ratings. So if the OP wanted a shallow, overstable putter, the results could be filtered for a certain speed, rim depth, and HSS. I might start working on that. 727 approved discs... this might take awhile.

Actually, Inbounds kind of does that. With their list, you can sort by disc type, and then by stability and distance/speed. If you click on an individual disc, the window that comes up has the PDGA specs on it.

The Wedge makes a terrible putter, IMO, because of its shape. But for approaches and short drives, it's a pretty useful understable disc.

Its shape? It's not shaped like an unconventional putter. It's just on the faster end of the spectrum. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Wheel?

If your looking for cleaner release, the xd plus. Shallow and slightly tapered rim. Wedge is great. I love them for straddle putting under low hanging branches and shorter anny lines.

Latest posts