• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What does Sustainability mean to you?

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

I am going to be writing an article about Sustainable Disc Golf Course Design and wanted to get an idea of what the general disc golf populations understanding of sustainability is. I want to know if there are specific things I need to address, misconceptions about what sustainable actually means, how is sustainability important in the design process, etc etc etc.

How does Sustainability relate to disc golf course design and also construction?

Why is Sustainability important for disc golf?

What things do you observe on disc golf courses that is not sustainable?

What things have you seen that definitely follow sustainable design concepts?

Let's get the discussion going here. I am interested to hear what people think and to join in this discussion.

Mike Harrington
The Disc Golf Experience

Sustainability would mean the sport and or a course, can be kept up in the long term.

Other than people simply abusing a course, (good luck changing human nature), the biggest obstacle I've noticed to sustainability are plain old foot traffic and erosion.

Most courses start out nice, but eventually end up with everwidening dirt patches around baskets and tees. On some holes, what start out as grass fairways, eventually give way being no more that sand/dirt, with a few sparse patches of weeds. Other than limiting traffic, or shutting courses down long enough for the grass to recover, I'm not sure what can be done about this.

Erosion, at least in some part, can be greatly reduced (or delayed by a huge factor) by shoring up areas that are sloped with railroad ties, logs, etc, to keepd soil from washing away. This seems to have been done quite successfully on several courses in the Charlotte area to preserve precarious pin placements. I don't know if it can truly be eliminated, but if slowed sufficiently, it can probably be quite feasible to maintain.

Last edited:
To me, sustainability means that the original intent of use and quality of a course can be kept in the same state without vast sums of money being spent to do so.

Bogey, what you described in paragraph #2 is what's happened at Pier Park. Every winter at least 4-5 holes get closed to slow erosion and let the most damaged holes recover.

Last edited:
How does Sustainability relate to disc golf course design and also construction?

Very important due to over-all integrity of the course and playability rests on the fact that it can sustain and endure usage, weather, age, and other variables which negatively impact the life of a course and factors which otherwise are cause for more frequent maintenance. With any development it is always more sustainable to build around the landscape rather than right through it

Why is Sustainability important for disc golf?

Disc golf generally co-exists in areas where it is nessisary to consider the sustainability of the course as the EPA defines Sustainability is based on a simple principle: Everything that we need for our survival and well-being depends, either directly or indirectly, on our natural environment. Sustainability creates and maintains the conditions under which humans and nature can exist in productive harmony, that permit fulfilling the social, economic and other requirements of present and future generations. Sustainability is important to making sure that we have and will continue to have, the water, materials, and resources to protect human health and our environment which is important to most all disc golfers due to the fact that without these elements our courses would be rather boring, windy, dusty and the amazingly epic scenic views of nature from SO MANY OF THE COURSES would be lost..

What things do you observe on disc golf courses that is not sustainable?

really no issue in disc golf cannot be addressed and maintained in a way which makes it sustainable-- there are many courses which struggle to do this but that does not mean isn't possible to be so as it basically is no different than hiking or biking (which tears up the ground much more)

What things have you seen that definitely follow sustainable design concepts?

rain gardens, planting of native plants, trees, shrubs, removal of weeds & other invasive plants, irrigation & erosion control, controlling usage, utilizing natural elements as obstacles & flow of woods/open space for fairway design

Hope some of that helps?! Look forward to the article!

Well, if i was looking to build a "sustainable" disc golf course the first thing i would want is limited maintenance. As nice as grass courses are that wouldn't really be an option on a sustainable course. For me the ideal sustainable course would be in a desert location with local flora and fauna. these don't require watering on a regular basis and due evolution they don't grow to tightly together. i would think that would make it easy to design a course around. Also i would look at everything that is not naturally already there being extra permanent. If that makes any sense. just a couple ideas there think about it.

Sustainability is a euphemism for I try to care but really I want to impose laws that do no apply to me. Suck a fat one!

Bogey is one the right track, especially with the slowing of the damage. Any location given enough foot traffic is going to feel the effects of that traffic. We've all seen it in the form of damaged trees/bushes, worn/dusty pathways, inability of new ground cover/flowers/bushes/trees to establish themselves, etc.

Grass, in and of itself, is sustainable as it reduces topsoil erosion. This is accepted by many gov't agencies as counting as ground cover to reduce run-off into waterways. What is rarely addressed in this train of thought is the intense use of water and usually fertilizers/pesticides to keep said grass alive.

I see a need for erosion control steps taken within a course, as well as around the course itself. This would help minimize runoff from the eventual negative effects of heavy foot traffic. This is routinely done around construction sites, both large and small. New developments, which a disc course could be argued is a type of, would need to take these measures into serious consideration. For courses to be 'sustainable' they would need to not negatively impact other locations around and/or downstream of them.

Just my .02

BTW, link the article when finished.

Just a thought: I wonder if having multiple courses at a single site could help courses "age more greacefully" in either of two ways:

a) Two courses in a location might draw more traffic, but the traffic is less dense (spread out over more holes)... less impact.
Hudson Mills has had two great courses on site for years, and they always look great But I don't think they see the traffic that Kensington, Cass Benton, or Stony Creek (which could be large part of why they stay nice).

Lemon Lake also comes to mind. I recall those courses looking nice when I played. Same with IDGC, but that place may get maintenance like few others anywhere. It just seems like having an additional course (or more) onsite helps the courses to "wear better." Anyone else live somewhere that has a place with multiple courses? Are your observations similar to (or contrast with) mine?

b) If the courses start to get run down, close one for a few weeks/months, to give nature a chance to recover. Perhaps keep the course open for 2 weeks, close for an off week, then open another 2 weeks. Alternate in such a way that both courses are open for a week, then course B shuts down for a week, but A remains open. The following week, B shuts down, but A stays open, then both again the following week. That keeps disc golf going all the time, while giving course time to recoup, before they get too far gone. And there are still provides time when they are both open.

I've never seen this executed, but I think it could work.

Mike, is this type of discussion useful to you? I don't want to move your thread in a direction that's usless to you.

Via Websters':
Main Entry: sus·tain·able Pronunciation: \sə-ˈ stā-nə-bəl\Function: adjective Date: circa 1727 1 : capable of being sustained 2 a : of, relating to, or being a method of harvesting or using a resource so that the resource is not depleted or permanently damaged <sustainable techniques> <sustainable agriculture> b : of or relating to a lifestyle involving the use of sustainable methods <sustainable society>

The main point of discussion on this thread will probably center around environmental impact, but it's important to consider money/funding as a resource as well. Most major environmental maintenance and improvements have a cost associated with them and therefore, some sort of revenue is required to sustain the course and keep from depleting the land.

A self sustaining course would therefore, by definition, need to be pay-to-play so that it's generating its own revenue to be spent on maintenance. However, money for improvements can also come from the local government and/or fundraising done by local clubs.

No matter where the money is coming from, their should be a plan in place to keep access to funds "sustainable." Without a plan, proper maintenance will regularly be put off due to lack of cash flow.

Last edited:
@Bogey . . . this discussion is helpful for me to guage peoples understanding of what sustainability is . . . and it is extremely helpful for the general disc golf population to be discussing this. We need people to understand that disc golf courses need to be designed well from the beginning. We also need people to understand the effort that needs to be put in to keep courses in the ground, so as much exposure as this discussion can have the better. I sure hope this thread goes on for a long time and as many people come to read it as possible. Sadly I fear many people will not be interested.

Mike, I like your ideas and efforts. I appreciated the article in golf magazine about disc courses on bolf courses and the ability to have peaceful cohabitation. I plan to use it as reference material to help strengthen my proposal to build a disc course up here on an unfinished back-9 of a shorter and smaller bolf course.

Keep up the good work and keep striving for the overall betterment of our sport, our passion.

Via Websters':
Main Entry: sus·tain·able Pronunciation: \sə-ˈ stā-nə-bəl\Function: adjective Date: circa 1727 1 : capable of being sustained 2 a : of, relating to, or being a method of harvesting or using a resource so that the resource is not depleted or permanently damaged <sustainable techniques> <sustainable agriculture> b : of or relating to a lifestyle involving the use of sustainable methods <sustainable society>

The main point of discussion on this thread will probably center around environmental impact, but it's important to consider money/funding as a resource as well. Most major environmental maintenance and improvements have a cost associated with them and therefore, some sort of revenue is required to sustain the course and keep from depleting the land.

A self sustaining course would therefore, by definition, need to be pay-to-play so that it's generating its own revenue to be spent on maintenance. However, money for improvements can also come from the local government and/or fundraising done by local clubs.

No matter where the money is coming from, their should be a plan in place to keep access to funds "sustainable." Without a plan, proper maintenance will regularly be put off due to lack of cash flow.

I actually like the idea of reasonable pay to play fees and annual memberships. I've seen how much better Kensington and Stony Creek have been since they instituted pay to play, and how the money is already there for course maintenance and improvements. However, one also has to keep park entry fees in mind (some of which are ridiculous for non-residents).

I think Bogey has hit on a main theme for the topic, but there does come a point where erosion and play wear is enevitable. I think club or park involvement is a key to sustainability. Using Bogey's Hudson Mills vs Stony Creek/Kensington, HM has an active club that has supported an interested park system for many years. Stony and Kensington to a lesser degree for less time. Though all are the same park system and recieve similiar interest from that perspective. HM went through the devestation of the Emerald Ash Borer like few parks did and have aggresively planted and groomed to compensate. This will pay for generations and in my opinion would not have happened as quickly or completely without active club particiapation. I also agree pay to play have really had a postive impact on the wear and tear of Stony and Kensington. I would go so far as believing a further up in the fee would continue to help.

Well, if i was looking to build a "sustainable" disc golf course the first thing i would want is limited maintenance. As nice as grass courses are that wouldn't really be an option on a sustainable course. For me the ideal sustainable course would be in a desert location with local flora and fauna. these don't require watering on a regular basis and due evolution they don't grow to tightly together. i would think that would make it easy to design a course around. Also i would look at everything that is not naturally already there being extra permanent. If that makes any sense. just a couple ideas there think about it.

Along these lines, I would say it's important to work with what nature put there. It's one thing to cut down a tree here and ther, or to clear away some underbrush, but if you have to cut down a half dozen tress to create a fairway, or hack away several bushes, I'm suspect. Nature has a way of winning in the long run. If something wanted to grow there, eventually, something probably will. I remember talking to the desinger of Grey Fox in Wisconsin. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me they didn't cut down a single tree putting that course in - they just took what nature offered - and its a quite a good course.

I suspect Moraine took advantage of natural fairways as well, with relatively little cutting for a course that size. I could be very wrong, but that's the impression I got playing it, but Chris Dietzel probably knows what the real story is on that.

Maybe the upshot from this is to be fairly selective about where we put courses. Not necessarily every park and/or plot of undeveloped land may truly be suitable for a course. The challenge lies in finding those spots where a course can be put in and exist fairly organically. This would seem to me to be inherently more sustainable.

I think this is a great discussion for us to have.

One of the things I think get left out on course design in some area is keeping in mind the erosion that natural will happen with increased traffic.

A lot of our local course where I live have started putting downed trees on the low side of fairways. That's made a big difference.

Mike, there are colleges offering sustainability as majors and minors right now. It would probably be very helpful to get in touch with a professor/department head or two and start asking some questions from them. I'm sure they'd be interested in talking about or helping develop sustainable recreation. Who knows, one of them might get intrigued and make a research project about it.

I'm currently at Portland State and we have a sustainability program. I considered a minor in it, but decided a double major in Accounting would be more valuable to tack on to my Finance major.

Pay to Play makes sense if the $ goes back into the course for upkeep and maintenance, not for payouts.

A local course I play uses the downed/trimmed trees and branches for ground cover on the walking paths. They chip the limbs and spread it out. Good way to reduce the topsoil erosion from the foot traffic. This doesn't eliminate it but makes it much less of an issue.

Nice discussion everyone. I appreciate your inputs so far and for the most part everyone has a general understanding of what sustainability is, I just hope those that don't know about it will come into this thread and read about it because it is ultimately extremely important for the future of our sport.

I am going to be working on this article on my own because it has been in my head for a while, now is just the right time to put it al down on paper. I wanted to write it 2 years ago but figured noone would take me seriously. I had only been playing the game for 2 years then. Designers would have probably looked at me and wondered where I came from.

Once it is finished I will try to get it published in multiple places. I was contacted by someone of the PDGA Envrionmental committee because of this thread and I am darned sure going to submit it to them and ask how I can get on that committee.

I just got back from my 32 day disc golf roadtrip where I played 93 courses in 20 states, so my mind has been just running wild all day everyday on the course and then back in the hotels every night.

Let's keep the discussion going, we have great strides we can achieve and I am hopeful my 20 year career in lawn/landscape/golf course maintenance will be helpful in the advancement of our game through sustainable courses.

One of our local courses tries very hard to limit environmental impact. Some of the things I have noticed:

The land is rolling, wooded hills, but to reduce erosion very few fairways run straight up or down the hill. Most run sideways across the hill, which reduces the number of "big air" shots but in compensation adds excellent risk-reward choices.

The course has three pin positions for most holes, and the locals rotate baskets frequently to reduce erosion.

Maryland winter temperatures are usually above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. This leaves a thin layer of mud above frozen ground, so foot traffic on sloped areas can do a lot of damage. In the winter the locals move the baskets in the pin positions with the lowest risk of foot traffic erosion.

The park decided to remove a grove of Ailanthus, an invasive exotic tree. This dramatically opened up one of the (many) tight wooded holes. The locals and park system worked together to redesign the hole, leaving dead tree trunks standing in key locations, and creating a wood pile to block one of the easier lines off the tee.

In collaboration with the park, locals have planted and maintained many new trees in open areas. Someone, not sure who, also does a great job of keeping poison ivy under control near the fairways.

All creeks and streams on the course are marked with OB lines, and no holes cross the creek. Plenty of discs do need to be retrieved from in and across the creek, so this is less than 100% effective.

Locals have built stairs from logs, etc. to reduce foot traffic erosion on steep slopes between holes.

Locals also use trimmings and downed branches to create brush piles, which provide wildlife habitat.

I hope that helps.