• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is a good woods midrange?

The Bard

Looking for something good in the woods. Mostly one that will hold up with hitting trees. But also if it can fly straight that would be great too. BTW, I throw about 300-325.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Z Buzzz, mabe a Z Buzzz SS depending on the person throwing the disc. The SS might be a little easier to manipulate.

Really anything in a premium plastic will hold up well in the woods. Anything listed above will work as well as Opto/GL Fuse and Core or a Star/Champ Roc.

Though for me personally a nice DX or KC Pro roc is the way to go though the trees aren't as friendly to them as say Champion/Z.

A mid 160's Z Comet! The disc is neutral, to slightly overstable at first. I've beat mine pretty good, it's decently warped, and is nice and neutral now. Doesn't turn too much unless I want, and doesn't fade much at all. Throw it with a slight hyzer for a very nice straight shot. The glide of a Comet is what makes it so nice! I went from a Buzzz to a Comet and would keep thinking I was coming up way short, but no, the Comet would just keep doing it's slow glide and keep on going!

If you say mid, I will say Opto Fuse as they are ridiculous on how far they can go with such control and lack of effort. But sometimes it is nice to disc up a little in the woods and something like a Leopard work to depending on how far you want to get.

Could the original question be any more vague ?

tgLdcSg_Third-party-facepalm.jpg

To say something random that is at least somewhat relatet to the topic : pick one : Comet, buzzz, wasp, fuse, roc. Practice with it till you can throw it straigth with your eyes closed. Voila, your new go-to midrange.

Opto/GL Fuse, Buzzz, Roc, Core, Comet. Depends on your ability and what other discs you throw.

when i play in the woods, i need something that can fly straight, something that can turn corners, and something that can float around corners. a series of Z buzzzes in varying conditions + a flx drone covers the bases, as well as a pro pig for corner turns that are less dramatic/long

i got a 167 champ panther in the first set of discs i bought, it's been thru hell. all manner of tree hits, parking lot golf, rollers, thumbers, fences... anything a new player could do to a disc. all that said, it hasn't marked up hardly at all and still throws amazing.

it's not my favorite mid, but it's super durable and flies great. my experience is that the max weight are fairly straight, not reflecting the -2 turn unless your going over 250, and even then the disc has enough fade to come back. and glide for days. the one i keep in my bag is 167 for hyzer flips/flattened hyzers, it's def beat in and perfectly fits the -2 1 rating.

Champ Coyote. Takes infinite beatings, holds any line you put it on. Can drive with it or use it as an approach disc.

Could the original question be any more vague ?

tgLdcSg_Third-party-facepalm.jpg

To say something random that is at least somewhat relatet to the topic : pick one : Comet, buzzz, wasp, fuse, roc. Practice with it till you can throw it straigth with your eyes closed. Voila, your new go-to midrange.

Thanks for the insightful and respectful comments. I find it interesting that a vague question elicits a vague response. And yes it could be more vague such as "I need a good midrange, thanks!". I hope you don't do the same when talking to actual people.

On another note, I think I'm just going to give the Buzzz SS a shot and soon after try the Comet. Then If I feel like I need something different, I'll try a Fuse. Thanks all!

theres a lot of woods around here, i like to use a beat up FLX buzz and a champ leopard. the buzzz is great because if you do hit a tree it doesnt bounce 50 ft away.

A Meteor is just what you're looking for. Dead straight, Holds an anny for ever and a sweet, soft hyzer. A ton of glide. Also more forgiving than a Comet.

My Star Skeeter seems to do well in the woods also, btw. Very straight, very little rebound off trees...when they hit. I can get it to go left or right (may be special, because when I mention this, eyebrows raise)...but it has been very solid.

I would say an flx buzzz. Flies straight and if u hit a tree it wont shoot off too deep like the z plastic, it will absorb the hit.