• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the Average Disc Golfer?

HybridZombiw

Eagle Member
In your logic explain to the thread just what is the "average" disc golfer. I am curious to know what others think the average disc golfer is, looks like, acts, and so on.

I don't think there really is an 'average' disc golfer. It all depends on how you were exposed to the sport, and whether or not you became addicted. There are 4 guys in my office that play (including myself) and we couldn't be anymore different from each other.

Well lets see, my disc golfing friends consist of...

Stoners/hippies, White collar paper pushers, blue collar union workers, a lawyer, a chemical engineer, the list goes on and on. I can agree with ManU. The average dgr is probably not on here recording scores and blogging. The average DGr is a weekend warrior traveling up the Rockies to get there asses handed to them by giant pines, sturdy aspens and huge gaps they don't think they can cross... anyone see Keith Stone??? Time to rock the Tomahawk!!!

I agree with this. Maybe a weekender who plays with his/her buddies for a pastime.

I disagree with this line of thought wholeheartedly. Think about it. How many people do you know that play this game and don't become hopelessly addicted to it? I think the weekend warriors and "chuckers" are hopelessly outnumbered by the rest of us.

I disagree with this line of thought wholeheartedly. Think about it. How many people do you know that play this game and don't become hopelessly addicted to it? I think the weekend warriors and "chuckers" are hopelessly outnumbered by the rest of us.

Well I think its actually about 40-60 in favor of the chuckers. I mean if you go to a local course at least in my experiences, I don't see as many baggers as I do those just carrying 3 or 4 discs and you can tell if they know how to throw them. The long and short is who cares how we define the average DGr? It is the popularity and rise of the sport that has exploded into mainstream and that is freaking awesome!!! There is no such thing as average anyway, just how you define the rest of the world from your point of view. Normality isn't as normal as one would think.

I agree a lot with Sandman1981. I personally think it depends on what area you are from and how big the sport is in your area. In the place I used to live, the "average" golfer had a starter bag: boss, wraith, dx shark, dx aviar(or whatever the local store said was cool) and shot about even with a mulligan or two but could compete with AMs in the area. However, in the place I live now which is a college town, the average golfer has a 175 Champ Boss and 175 Star Destroyer, one to putt with and one for max D. Average is different for everyone in every area. I look at myself as above average because I have a huge inventory that I have piled up in my room and I play every day, but I may be average in your neck of the woods.

The average DGer =

Jobless
Caucasian Male
18 - 35 years of age
Smokes Leaf
Wears "Jorts"
Hasnt been laid in years
Internet Dork
Thinks he can throw 500+ feet
Doesnt know the meaning of good hygiene

My idea of an "average" profile:

On average:
Plays 0.5-2 rounds per week.
Throws in the 280-300' range.
Owns 6-10 discs (doesn't necessarily mean carry all of them).
Plays 0-1 tournaments per year.
Has no idea there is such thing as a pro tour or "professional" disc golfers.

average disc golfer is male, white, straight, poor, a substance abuser of some sort, and easily amused.

average competitive disc golfer? well, i made a thread about it a month ago but it was deleted within 10 minutes of posting.... but i'll include a few images from it anyway.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 126
average disc golfer is male, white, straight, poor, a substance abuser of some sort, and easily amused.

The average DGer =

Jobless
Caucasian Male
18 - 35 years of age
Smokes Leaf
Wears "Jorts"
Hasnt been laid in years
Internet Dork
Thinks he can throw 500+ feet
Doesnt know the meaning of good hygiene

These are just stereotypes in the end. But here here Sandman, what you say smacks of truthiness.

A weekender who plays to just have fun. That's what I'm slowly becoming. With school I find it difficult to get out and play as much as I do in the summer

Latest posts