• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the 'identity' of disc golf?

Ponderworthy

This is a great thread with a lot of solid points, and that picture is amazing. I basically agree with everyone.

The only part I disagree with is the pay-to-play theory. Vandals will vandalize what's convenient, regardless of greens fees. And in spite of the $10+/hr fee, it's tough not to find at least one group of entitled drunks on most every golf course.

I searched for "stereotype" after being stereotyped by my cousins. When I extended an invitation to play disc golf, they jokingly interrupted me with "...and smoke some weed??" in a Half Baked Jon Stewart voice. They weren't directing it at me personally. They were directing it at disc golf. I ended up defending my position as a serious disc golfer and laughed it off, but it got me thinking about disc golf's identity. Do others assume the same thing when disc golf is mentioned? Could my favorite hobby/sport negetively label me? Should I mention it on a resume, a job interview, or even in just casual conversation? I love the "I don't care" attitude, but I think it's a fair question worthy of a little consideration.

Latest posts