• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] What is the most durable plastic?

Champ and Z definately hold their flight the longest that I've had. Those who say any of Trilogy's plastic are obvioisly fanboys as every single Opto, Lucid, or VIP disc I've had has beaten in quicker than I would have liked, VIP less so than the others but still too quick for my liking. I typically would play 3-4 times a week on heavily wooded courses so there was a lot of tree hits even at low power. I've also noticed that the change is more sudden than either Champ or Z but VIP doesn't scuff as easily.

I don't know that I'd consider the trilogy plastics the "most durable" as they do beat in relatively quickly, but they do hold that sweet spot for a long time. Fluid plastic has been very durable for me as my fluid escape is pretty much my favorite disc in my bag that I have thrown for 3-4 years now with very little change in flight at all. Champ definitely isn't most durable either as I've had Roc3's go from overstable to dead straight or even getting a bit of turn in a fairly short amount of time.

The one Z disc I have though flies identical to the day I bought it and probably could pass for new if i put a price tag on it and stuck it on a shelf. Granted it hasn't seen a lot of use in the last couple years but used to be my primary forehand disc.

Another vote for neutron. I have been throwing the same ion for about 5 years and it has not changed after initial break in. Is it the overmold that makes it so durable or the neutron plastic itself.

You really can't hurt champion type plastics too easily. I just don't like the way they fly as much as star/neutron type stuff.

No one has mentioned Innova's Star plastic? That stuff takes an eternity to season. It's a blessing and a curse. If you like how your disc is currently flying, you're set for years. If you want it to break in a bit, you have to be patient!

No one has mentioned Innova's Star plastic? That stuff takes an eternity to season. It's a blessing and a curse. If you like how your disc is currently flying, you're set for years. If you want it to break in a bit, you have to be patient!

Star plastic is indeed durable, but my experience has been that it's not quite as durable as Champion plastic. I've had Star Terns and TLs that have seasoned in over time, but I have yet to break a Champion disc. I don't think waterboarding can break a Champion disc...

Star plastic is indeed durable, but my experience has been that it's not quite as durable as Champion plastic. I've had Star Terns and TLs that have seasoned in over time, but I have yet to break a Champion disc. I don't think waterboarding can break a Champion disc...

I do love me some Champ plastic! I feel like it's the best option Innova has for cycling. For me it just seems to break in a bit faster than Star but it's still a slow process. The shape of the disc never seems to change although flight patterns alter a bit over time. I notice this with my go-to fairway drivers more than anywhere else. That MIGHT be because they see so much action on the course including rollers and overhands. My only gripe about Champ is the grip. I can't trust it as much in very hot, cold, or wet conditions like I can other Innova blends.

I said Neutron but star seems to be basically the same thing so I agree. In my experience this type of plastic does break in and once it does it stays that way a really long time. I'm not sure I've ever actually broken in champion type plastic. Seems to never change unless you really beat the crud out of it on concrete etc.

I can't claim to have thrown too many molds, but I can say that I have been trying to intentionally destroy a Neutron Ion for almost 17 months now playing urban DG. It just gets better with time.

Latest posts