• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what is the name of an upside down flick?

but the flight on a hammer is different to a back hand
and a hammer in DG is a tomahawk no?

does not a high release and low release BH have the same flight?

anyway

do you guys want a pic of my body position when doing this?

But if you throw a hammer with the disc completely horizontal, it will fly exactly like the upside down flick. And if you add more angle to the upside down flick, it will fly like a hammer, albeit lower.

And hammers don't fly like tomahawks do, because the disc never actually flips all the way over in ultimate, its just one big swoop from vertical to the top of the disc facing the ground. (Unless you mess it up)

The way I see it, it breaks down like this:

jtencer views that the throw you're doing is a scoober, and wouldn't be a hammer unless you raised your arm over your head and threw it. I believe it is still a hammer, unless you step across your body in the "breakmark" fashion to throw it, where it would then become a scoober.

Last edited:
wouldn't a horizontal hammer be a high release scooby?

Not that I've ever heard. Throwing a horizontal hammer is just how you throw short range hammers, like for a "dump" for example. You add verticality to add distance to hammers, because it makes the blade take longer to swing out. Though, jtencer may agree with you, we shall see I supposed.

Really this is just semantics at this point, but then again, this thread is about what to call this throw. This question begs semantics.

But if you throw a hammer with the disc completely horizontal, it will fly exactly like the upside down flick. And if you add more angle to the upside down flick, it will fly like a hammer, albeit lower.

And hammers don't fly like tomahawks do, because the disc never actually flips all the way over in ultimate, its just one big swoop from vertical to the top of the disc facing the ground. (Unless you mess it up)

The way I see it, it breaks down like this:

jtencer views that the throw you're doing is a scoober, and wouldn't be a hammer unless you raised your arm over your head and threw it. I believe it is still a hammer, unless you step across your body in the "breakmark" fashion to throw it, where it would then become a scoober.

That's pretty much it. If I had my way, a hammer and scoober would probably be the same thing, but people have come up with 2 names so we have to draw a line. You think the body position matters more and I think the kind of backswing/release point matters more.

There's no real authority, so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

I (used to) throw one if I had a large tree (especially an evergreen) directly between myself and the basket. Find a line where a right angle gets you to the basket and throw the disc upside down in a forehand motion so that the flight plate lands flat right around the point of the angle. The disc will do the craziest skip you've ever seen.

Billy Crump calls this the Quisenberry after that famous side-arm pitcher. Thats what we continue to call the flick with upsidedown disc. Its thrown flat or with a little flex to get more distance before the skip.

I just started playing around with this the past couple of days -- thumber grip thrown as a flick.
For me, it seems to be a pretty viable approach option.
I only get about 75-100 feet out of it at full power, but then it corkscrews and spikes right into the ground with backspin, stopping very abruptly.
I didn't see much difference between OS and US discs.
The only difference I noticed was that the OS discs went about 15' farther.
I haven't figured out when it would be the most useful yet on approach shots -- Low ceiling? Headwind? Roll away potential? Intimidation factor?
But, it's definitely a unique shot that seems fairly easy to control.

Anyone else tried it?

I just started playing around with this the past couple of days -- thumber grip thrown as a flick.
For me, it seems to be a pretty viable approach option.
I only get about 75-100 feet out of it at full power, but then it corkscrews and spikes right into the ground with backspin, stopping very abruptly.
I didn't see much difference between OS and US discs.
The only difference I noticed was that the OS discs went about 15' farther.
I haven't figured out when it would be the most useful yet on approach shots -- Low ceiling? Headwind? Roll away potential? Intimidation factor?
But, it's definitely a unique shot that seems fairly easy to control.

Anyone else tried it?

I use that shot as a skip shot. I don't consider it an "upside down flick" though. Because I throw an upside down flick. It comes from the opposite side of the body than a normal flick. It's the furthest end of the flick spectrum from hyzer flicks. The middle of that spectrum would be a tomahawk. I throw upside down flicks as slider shots that travel a very consistent distance after they hit the ground. Very useful in MO, where lots of baskets are on hill-sides.

I have only heard it referred to as
"the grundle" or
"the nifkin"

I agree with ArcheType on this question, and I've always thought of it as a form of "tomahawk" or "hammer." I don't like the terms "scooby" or "scoober" because it seems like everybody has a different definition for them, and we all end up being confused.

Incidentally, I've also been experimenting with putting like this. It does seem to work very well on short-range putts, but I'd worry about long skip-aways or slide-aways if you miss a long putt throwing like this. Maybe not so much if you're throwing a rubber putter, like a Blowfly or a soft Ridge.

Interesting conversation. :)

The grenade was explained to me as a backhand thrown with the disc upside down, which makes it hyzer very sharply and early, used mostly as a get out of trouble shot.

Yep. Thumb on the rim, hold it/throw it on extreme hyzer to get over through messes, then it checks up when it hits.

This thread is talking about a different shot.

I saw in a tourney video once, B. Schweberger threw this shot (scoober is what I've mostly heard) from his knees, low, near the ground, from the rough/shule. When it hit the ground the spin/flare turned it 90 deg to the right (parked.) This would be throwing RHFH, disc upside down.

Billy Crump, narrating the video, called the shot a "Quisen" or "Quisenberry," I'm assuming after the 1980's era side-arm ML pitcher Dan Quisenberry. Probably a "version" of the scoober. At my age, I'm a sucker for 80's references.

That's pretty much it. If I had my way, a hammer and scoober would probably be the same thing, but people have come up with 2 names so we have to draw a line. You think the body position matters more and I think the kind of backswing/release point matters more.

There's no real authority, so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Isn't "Hammer Throw" more of an Ultimate term?

Yep, if you drop down with a thumber and throw it more sidearm and low, you can get that shot. I use it on some fairways since my FH sucks so bad. You can also get it to skip up pretty good, and have a chance a t an ACE.

I've usually heard "scoober" to describe a shot pushed from the chest, disc upside down and pretty flat (horizontal,) like a rolled-over tomakawk. Sometimes it seems like "scoober" is used loosely for any shot thrown with the disc upside down.

I've mostly heard "hammer throw" used by ex-ultimate guys. I call that a "pancake," say a tomahawk released at around 45 degrees between vertical and horizontal.

The shot described by the OP seems to be the "Quisen" mentioned above, but....?

Yep, if you drop down with a thumber and throw it more sidearm and low, you can get that shot. I use it on some fairways since my FH sucks so bad. You can also get it to skip up pretty good, and have a chance a t an ACE.

It was sick in the video. Very low cieling shot, about 125 or so, Sheberger was off the fairway, outside the row of trees that lined the fairway, and in the shule.

He threw this thing about 3 feet off the ground, with a little flex, to the end of the "tree row," the thing hit the ground and skip-flared HARD 90 degrees right, skittled right up to the lock.

yes please, sounds like a cool shot. just to clarify the grip do you have two fingers are on the rim just like a flick? or is it thumb on the rim like a thumber?

do you guys want a pic of my body position when doing this?[/QUOTE]