• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] What is Trilogy's Thunderbird

What is Trilogy's Thunderbird?

• Convict

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Felon

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Thief

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Culverin

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Spark

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Striker

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Northman

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Stag

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

hugheshilton

* Ace Member *
I'm curious what people think.

To me the Thunderbird's numbers (in different plastics) are in this range:

DX - 9 5 0 3.5
Star - 9 5 0 3
Champion - 9 5 0 2
GStar - 9 5 -1 2

I'm posting all the Trilogy discs in this poll with 1.9 - 2.0 cm rims whose flights look like they could possibly fit those numbers. I think Trilogy molds also vary a bit in stability from plastic to plastic, so feel free to discuss which Trilogy mold/plastic lines up with which Thunderbird plastic.

Culverin is pretty close with a bit more glide and a bit less stable. VIP Sampo is a little faster with less glide. Both do similar lines, but it is a preference kind of thing.

The Sampo is pretty darn close.

Stag is not unsimilar but you don't see many with that much fade. Plus though it's slower, they go farther for me.

Longbowman is too overstable with not enough glide. Culverin and Sampo are to understable. I feel Trilogy hasn't locked down the thunderbird/pd mold yet.

What about a Saint pro? I haven't thrown one, but a friend of mine says it's pretty similar to his Champ Thunderbird.

I can only tell you what are bad comparisons on that list: Thief and Striker I have found to be far less stable, more like Valkyrie type speed 9 discs than Thunderbirds. The Felon is much more overstable, more like a good "thrower" Firebird for people without massive power. I don't have as much experience with the Spark, but the recycled one I tried flew more dumpy at the end than the Thunderbird and I don't think I'd get nearly the same distance. I haven't tried the others on the list, which are the ones that would be the most related. However the Saint Pro as mentioned is another candidate. Flew Teebird like with a sweeping end, kind of like how mellower Thunderbirds are. Could be a good one for the less overstable Thunderbird variations you are wanting to fill.

Ya, Saint Pro is the first thing that comes to mind.

I've only thrown a 175 Opto Saint Pro and a Glow Champ Thunderbird but they seemed pretty similar from my recollection. Barely had time for a round this weekend and didnt get to check out the DX thunderbirds. :/

DecoDyes and Optos will typically be more stable to OS than GL and will break in slower.

The saint p as good of mold as it is, is not tbird.

Why.. because it is smaller rimmed disc with pop top.. assuming you find the good ones.

The tbird is bit faster, longer and better in wind.

I find the saint p. a bit more forgiving as well.

Last edited:
a tough one. the tbird is nearly perfectly tooled. And the saints are so well tooled. once take something away or add you have the universe of great drivers out of whack..eh... do you understand this as yoda might say or something like that.

ok.. I'm rambling on a bit.

I voted Culverin. An Elasto Sampo (from last year's Trilogy Challenge) would be close, but Elasto aren't in production. For me (and others), the Sampo in VIP doesn't have the HSS of the Elasto.

Culverin and/or Boatman.

Without a doubt those are the two closest molds to the Thunderbird and PD

Yep on Culverin. Nope on Boatman, which is one of those weird larger diameter drivers from Lat 64, like the Northman...almost midrange diameter.

I had a Culverin(opto), loved it, lost it, got a Thunderbird(champion had never had one, store had no Culverin's). Could not tell the difference. Then switched back to a Culverin when I lost the Thunderbird same thing.

Latest posts