• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your max thumber distance?

What is your max thumbed distance?

• Zero, I don't throw them

Votes: 19 12.2%

Votes: 15 9.6%

Votes: 20 12.8%

Votes: 20 12.8%

Votes: 35 22.4%

Votes: 18 11.5%

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • 325+

Votes: 18 11.5%

• Total voters
Bad poll options. Maybe 125 for me. I can tomahawk over 200 probably. Really only use them to get out of trouble.

250' but it hurts... Got an thumber ace with a trident a couple months ago, check that one off the list.

225' on a well-timed toss.

I wish I was more comfortable with these - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I top out at around 350' on a real good day. Generally more in the 300-325' range I think.

Generally the only time I'm throwing a max D thumber is for a placement shot. I like flat glow Firebirds for max distance, 165ish is a real nice weight for getting huge D but I've been throwing a 174 for more control ... which I lost yesterday :(. I'll be putting a flat H1 in the bag to cover the max d thumber slot for a while now.

... now we do have a freshman at UGA who can hit 400' with a Firebird and has tossed an Epic 600'+ on several occasions (enough so that my initial skepticism of him being able to control it is gradually fading away).

I'd use a Stiletto/Flick but when I thumber its usually to get around an obstacle, I'm not going for distance.

BUT, a dude I know throws primarily overhand and uses an Aerobie Epic usually and he can crush it 400

I top out at around 350' on a real good day. Generally more in the 300-325' range I think.

Generally the only time I'm throwing a max D thumber is for a placement shot. I like flat glow Firebirds for max distance, 165ish is a real nice weight for getting huge D but I've been throwing a 174 for more control ... which I lost yesterday :(. I'll be putting a flat H1 in the bag to cover the max d thumber slot for a while now.

... now we do have a freshman at UGA who can hit 400' with a Firebird and has tossed an Epic 600'+ on several occasions (enough so that my initial skepticism of him being able to control it is gradually fading away).

HAve you tried a flat metalflake firebird? That is what i use for max distance. Curious if there is a difference between that and the glow fb..

I can throw OH shots about as far as most people I've seen, my max is in the 340-375 range. I throw a Blizzard 147 Ape to get Max D, and a 175 Champ for control but that's only about 320-340.

Not throwing as many these days as my other shots have improved but it's a good shot to have in the bandolier.

Someone post a vid of them throwing 375+ thumbers. We're talking about the overhead shot, right?

Let's see it.

I throw thumbers more for control than for distance, and I can usually park anything inside 200' if I have the line.
If I go for distance, I can sometimes get to 300', but that's rare, so I voted 225'.

I throw a FB, WhippetX, Banshee and an AvengerSS for thumbers, depending on the line.

i forgot for a while i thumbed every short hole i played on cuz i had a joke with a buddy about a buzz thumber ace. i wanted to send him a pic of a freshly inked ace disc but i never hit one. or well even came close haha. this reminds me i have to start trying again

Someone post a vid of them throwing 375+ thumbers. We're talking about the overhead shot, right?

Let's see it.

I think I have one, can you upload a vid from a iPhone on here or do you have to post a link from YouTube or Vimeo?

Saw a couple guys really crank thumbers at Elver Park in Madison earlier this summer. I don't remember the number of the hole, but it's a blind downhill over a bunch of rocks. I was jealous!

I had a max weight, flat as a plate, 10x KC Pro Banshee that I could consistently get out to around 300'. However, I lost it on a windy day in 6' tall grasses, heavy bushes, tall trees, and a stream. I really have zero idea where it hit amongst all of those things, and after 3 different trips back to the same spot on a series of 3 straight days, I just had to give it up as a sacrifice to the disc gods.

Now, I use a champion banshee that's not as flat and it's about 30' shorter than that KCpro, and not nearly as accurate. Blast. However, I don't use thumbers very often, so it's not a huge loss. I do wish that I still had that KCpro, though. That thing was as workable of an overstable fairway driver that I have ever layed hands on. Skips, long spikes, jack hyzers, floaty flex shots, FH rollers and thumbers were a thing of simplicity with that disc. SMH. "Baby come back, you can blame it all on me..."

Last winter I forced myself to learn thumbers (was literally the only shot I could throw that did not involve my middle finger). I can get them out to about 225, occasionally longer if I get the right skip. Don't really have a good way to apply weight transfer to get more power into them but I'm not too worried about it.

I max out around 350 or so... but am pretty deadly around 300-310. Xcals And Firechickens

Latest posts