• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Pro do you want to see/expect to see breakout in 2019?

His putting got better toward the end of the year when he switched styles, but yeah. I'm hoping he can have like an Eagle 2018 year and win some things. His throws seem so effortless

I thought the same based on my Youtube watching, but I'd like to see how the Udisc stats break out. Does UDisc have combined data from DGPT and NT events available?

I thought the same based on my Youtube watching, but I'd like to see how the Udisc stats break out. Does UDisc have combined data from DGPT and NT events available?

Udisc has him at 754 of 842 (89.55%) for Circle 1, ranked as 47th.

Also he was 48 of 217 (22.12%) for Circle 2, ranked as 48th.

I consider Seppo to be a top 10 player in the world, but statistics show he's not even a top 50 putter, as its a pretty safe assumption there are some amazing putters who's stats are not included in Udisc ranking.

I consider Seppo to be a top 10 player in the world, but statistics show he's not even a top 50 putter, as its a pretty safe assumption there are some amazing putters who's stats are not included in Udisc ranking.

Link?

Lot of pros around 90% who I view as better putter than Seppo interestingly enough. Seems like a good cutoff for contending with the putter would be 91/30
An example of an outlier would be Ricky at 92/37 splits for leading in outside circle putts (OCP).
Outside the circle really hurts Seppo here.

22% compared to 30% outside the circle is quite a few strokes. Assuming 250 OCPs that's 25 strokes or so over the season.

For inside the circle putts 89.55% vs 91% at 840 ICP would save only save 12 strokes on the season. So less than half the strokes saved at 3 times the volume.

PEOPLE HAVE ACTUALLY PLAYED TWO TOURNEYS ALREADY THIS YEAR???

OMG I need to move somewhere warmer...
If my shoulder was still in one piece I would have played my 5th tourney over the weekend, all within an hour and a half from Cincy...and its not that much warmer here usually.

I'm uninformed on the state of tour etc but I'm a Gyro pusher... so Dollar and Russell 2019!!!

With a soft spot for MJ and his fantastic Comets.. I appreciate his contributions to the mold and woods savvy. I love watching those throws.

I will wish "good luck" to McBeth..

Don't forget about Sarah H and Sias Elmore.:thmbup:

Yea, it looks like Seppo's stats are what I would of expected. For Cicle 1 in regulation; Circle 2 in Regulation, and Parked he is ranked 3rd, 3rd, and 5th respectively.

Out of Curiosity I looked at Paul McBeth and DEAR GOD

Fairways Hit - 1st
Circle 1 Reg - 1st
Circle 2 Reg - 1st
Parked - 1st

Circle 1 Putting - 9th
Circle 2 Putting - 15th

I was a bit surprised at Paul's 9th in Circle 1 putting, but based on the throwing stats being in 9th is fine when all those putts are for freaking birdies.

It seems the "Drive for Show...." adage that originated in stick golf is not so true in our game.

I'd like to see Cale have a big year. He is one of my favorites to watch play. Colglazier is great too. My older school picks would be Feldberg and Barry.

I'd also like to see Mike Randolph and Jeff Watson come out of the woodwork and tear up whatever division they want to play.

Yea, it looks like Seppo's stats are what I would of expected. For Cicle 1 in regulation; Circle 2 in Regulation, and Parked he is ranked 3rd, 3rd, and 5th respectively.

Out of Curiosity I looked at Paul McBeth and DEAR GOD

Fairways Hit - 1st
Circle 1 Reg - 1st
Circle 2 Reg - 1st
Parked - 1st

Circle 1 Putting - 9th
Circle 2 Putting - 15th

I was a bit surprised at Paul's 9th in Circle 1 putting, but based on the throwing stats being in 9th is fine when all those putts are for freaking birdies.

It seems the "Drive for Show...." adage that originated in stick golf is not so true in our game.

The Udisc putting stats are not as indicative as golf's shots gained putting.

C1 and C2 putting could be affected by where the player is putting from. Someone who takes an extra throw getting to the circles would land closer and could have a better percentage without being a better putter.

This is not a big enough effect that a bad putter will move to the top half or anything drastic like that. It MIGHT be enough to drop a player a few spots in the list. Maybe Paul is making lots of throw-saving putts from the edges of C1 and C2, having barely gotten there, but with one less throw than most other players.

For example, every C2 putt that misses probably helps the C1 stats.

Exactly. DGWT Metrix had the IBP stat to account for this. i.e. Inside the Bullesye Putt, a putt that is made from within 3 meters. ICP was thus any putts from 10 to 3 meters. You could argue the range of a "meaningless putt" could be moved up to 5, even 6 meters which ought to be automatic from pretty much all the top dogs.

C1 and C2 putting could be affected by where the player is putting from. Someone who takes an extra throw getting to the circles would land closer and could have a better percentage without being a better putter.

This is not a big enough effect that a bad putter will move to the top half or anything drastic like that. It MIGHT be enough to drop a player a few spots in the list. Maybe Paul is making lots of throw-saving putts from the edges of C1 and C2, having barely gotten there, but with one less throw than most other players.

Sample size plays into this as well. Three or four rounds is only 54-72 holes; a few weird rolls, spits, or the difference between 9.5 m & 10.5 m can appear to have an outsize influence when we try to parse the meaning of statistics at the tournament level. For example, here are the surprising C1 putting leaders for MPO at the 2018 Memorial... most to all of them do not appear on the season-long stats.

The more tournaments/holes we have data on for each player, the more relevant their statistics--over time, everyone should regress to their own personal mean. Even 10 tournaments or 35 rounds might not be enough... baseball rate stats (see library.fangraphs.com/principles/sample-size) can take 60 PA for strikeout rate to stabilize, ot 910 AB for batting average.

As we gain more data, I would hope that there's some analysis regarding when a rate stat is stable, and thus how much we should trust it.

Attachments

• IMG_5600.jpg
    IMG_5600.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 30

Yes, I have thought about this. The top 20 guys are probably all 95%+ from 25 feet, but it's those 25-33 footers that are the real separator. Udisc does show the distance in the live scoring when they make a putt, which I assume is an estimate from the score keeper and all "tap ins" seem to be listed at 5 feet. Would be awesome to see the C1 stats broken up, but it would still require very accurate score keeping (entering distances) to be meaningful.

aaaannd is it a good time to say Andrew Fish for breakout major win to coincide with a DGCR forum breakout? ;)

Forgot about Fish! Loved watching him on coverage coming out of the Northeast. Such a unique style with his relaxed ultimate like throws and putts. That guy can carve lines with the best of them.

Since the thread includes "want to see" I'll have to throw a nod to my buddy Brian Earhart! Last year was his first year on tour. He battled through some physical injuries as well as mental blocks as he figured out the touring life, but I believe he got everything sorted by the end of the season. He's touring with Uli this year and has his mind and body in the right place. Kid has always been very talented and I'm excited to see how far he can go.

Since the thread includes "want to see" I'll have to throw a nod to my buddy Brian Earhart! Last year was his first year on tour. He battled through some physical injuries as well as mental blocks as he figured out the touring life, but I believe he got everything sorted by the end of the season. He's touring with Uli this year and has his mind and body in the right place. Kid has always been very talented and I'm excited to see how far he can go.

Super cool cat as well