• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What putting style do you use and why?

What putting style do you use?

• Push Putt

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Pitch Putt

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Spin Putt

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Hybrid Putt

Votes: 47 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i voted for push putting. my putting was in dire straights until i watched the feldberg putting clinics and took a winter learning the style. what i love about it is unless you get a weird roll you almost always have an easy come back.

Same here. I'm not good enough to afford long come backers. :hfive:

I Spush Putt. I just putt at the basket and let the disc do all the work.

Was spinner, now pusher!

i voted for push putting. my putting was in dire straights until i watched the feldberg putting clinics and took a winter learning the style. what i love about it is unless you get a weird roll you almost always have an easy come back.
I just watched the condensed version of this last night ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU ) & I got a lot more out of it then I thought I would! It was very thorough. You could tell that he has done these clinics many, many times before! The Push Putt that he teaches minimizes the moving parts & I like this idea! The arm movement is the same even if you are straddle putting, your stance is unbalanced, etc. Like the Beard or not, the ideas he showed me really made me think hard about every aspect of my putting game!

Definately spin putt. I dont see the point in changing putting style the farther you get out, it makes more sense to just perfect your regular putting style.

I disagree, I'm pretty sure more pros push or spin putt than pitch putt.

Hmm I see more of the top pros throw up, and then have the disc die in the basket. Ricky, Nikko, Paul, and Will are the ones I can name off the top of my head.

I spin putt with a lid (Birdie). For me, it creates a line-drive trajectory up to about 45 feet. This eliminates extra variables inherent with putting styles that fade left (RHBH) into the chains instead of going straight at where I'm aiming. Plus, being a lid, it isn't going to blow 40 feet past the basket if I miss.

This is my fourth main putting style over the years. In the old days, I let an Aviar P&A fade into the chains like a lot of people do. Then I discovered the Polecat, and that I could pull it straight from my sternum out into the direction of the chains and it would go straight there (so long as it isn't windy or much further than the circle). Then the SE Soft Rhyno came out and I witnessed Ron Russell putting for the first time. I wanted to emulate how he just powered it into the chains with a tinge of anhyzer on release, and to do that for me I needed something O.S. (unlike Russell, who I believe used Magnets?...and was a putting God to boot), so I liked the SE Soft Rhyno for that. When I did hit them, it sure was gratifying, but I was erratic and still not where I wanted to be.

In about 2005, I grew tired of them moving around so much to the basket, so I did an experiment, buying about eight different types of putters and actually taking stats. I kept nailing putt after putt with the admittedly ugly Birdie kind of going back to my old 1990's Polecat style. "Heh. I'll be damned," I thought. I bought the thing as an afterthought with the rest of them.

Since there's more Disc in a Birdie than a Polecat, I could put more oomph into it than I could in the old days and it would still go straight for me. I brought the Disc down to the side in a more conventional fashion verses holding it at my sternum like I did 16 or 17 years ago. It even works in mild to moderate breezy conditions (although I carry an FLX Challenger for strong wind, plus it's my main upshot putter).

The main problem with this style is that I am going to miss the putt if my form isn't perfect. The more ubiquitous fading putts seem to be much more forgiving for when I'm off-balance on release, etc. Since my form/balance is good more than half the time, I feel like I have better control of the Disc from release to where it lands, and if I miss it, I know why.

I fully realize that the good pros use faster putters and use less spin. I've tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I have a decent short game for someone who is not a pro (never having made it beyond Am-1), and I make more than half from 30'.

still rolling with the hybrid. the further out i go, the more spin i add or use a lighter disc/more hyzer. feels more natural, not like i'm trying harder or changing my style. just a natural progression of how i feel i should throw a disc at certain distances.

i have, however, changed my grip over the course of the summer. it's tied between two, with the fan grip sometimes, (sometimes inside 30 or so, but wobbly so i don't like it and try to use it on "gimme" range putts) and a "flip the bird" grip except my pinky is also outstretched, so only my ring finger is curled. this grip has been solid for me.

I'm a spusher. It works for me. Magics are perfect for spushing. Spush.

Spin. I'm more consistent since I switched from push putting.