• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What to get now?

N8dogg

I have been playing a few months and have as follows

Drivers-
172 star boss
166 star katana
175 star beast
172 dx valk
166 champ tee bird

mid-
175 star sanmarino roc

putters=
170 dx aviar
175 star dart

I know I am still learning and getting better everytime. Just came off my best round so far -5 at a local course in San Diego county. I am finally seeing nice flight patterns on my faster drivers but I know I dont have the arm yet but they are still fun to throw. I wanted to see what other more experienced players think I need if anything? thanks!!

how far do you throw, and describe the flights you are getting

I might suggest a leopard and learn to throw it.

What disc do you drive with the most?

Rancho Roc- just a preference, I like the flight a lot more.
Sidewinder- for hyzer flips and straight drives where you have to finesse it.

Otherwise I think you have a great bag, you kind of have a steady increase in speeds and stabilities.

I have been playing a few months and have as follows

Drivers-
172 star boss
166 star katana
175 star beast
172 dx valk
166 champ tee bird

mid-
175 star sanmarino roc

putters=
170 dx aviar
175 star dart

I know I am still learning and getting better everytime. Just came off my best round so far -5 at a local course in San Diego county. I am finally seeing nice flight patterns on my faster drivers but I know I dont have the arm yet but they are still fun to throw. I wanted to see what other more experienced players think I need if anything? thanks!!

If you feel like you have to muscle the fast discs, or throw them extra hard, to get them to fly right, then you're probably right. Katana's and Boss's are best for players who can throw them 400+ feet IMO, and the Valk is good for players throwing past 350, 360ish. Not saying they're useless to you, just that from what you say I'd guess you could get close to the same distance but superior control with something slower, e.g. Sidewinder instead of Katana, Wraith instead of Boss.

I think a Leopard, Stalker, Cheetah or Eagle might be a good driver to try out. Distance drivers are popular these days, but I can tell you that I use fairway drivers much more, and my stash of fairway drivers is over 2x my stash of distance drivers. If I could only carry one driver I'd pick a Teebird over a Destroyer any day.

If you've never thrown a Buzz, I'd suggest trying one. Also, try out an understable midrange like a Gateway Element or Discraft Comet if you've never thrown one.

Gateway makes some awesome putters. My preference is using the Wizard as a driving putter and for longer approaches, while I use Magics for shorter approaches and for all putts. If you haven't tried driving with putters you should do so.

Really though, a Roc, Aviar and Teebird is all you need to demolish par on pretty much any course there is once you've developed your game. While trying out new discs is a blast, I can say skills > gear without a doubt, and well developed skills can translate to other discs better than using specific discs for specific shots and relying on them without ever developing the skills to do those shots with whatever disc you please.

Last edited:
Lat 64 Fuse and a Gateway Wizard.
I have been reading alot of good things on the wizard. might have to give it a try
how far do you throw, and describe the flights you are getting
I don't have a huge arm (not yet:p) but I get my drives 300 average. I drive the furthest with my boss and katana
I might suggest a leopard and learn to throw it.
what plastic would you recommend?
What disc do you drive with the most?

Rancho Roc- just a preference, I like the flight a lot more.
Sidewinder- for hyzer flips and straight drives where you have to finesse it.

Otherwise I think you have a great bag, you kind of have a steady increase in speeds and stabilities.
It depends where I play but for most distance katana or boss( I can get my teebird almost as far as those but its just fun throwing those speed demons
I have whatever it is you want to throw. Teebird, stalker, money wizard definitely one of those.
whats a stalker?

If you feel like you have to muscle the fast discs, or throw them extra hard, to get them to fly right, then you're probably right. Katana's and Boss's are best for players who can throw them 400+ feet IMO, and the Valk is good for players throwing past 350, 360ish. Not saying they're useless to you, just that from what you say I'd guess you could get close to the same distance but superior control with something slower, e.g. Sidewinder instead of Katana, Wraith instead of Boss.

I think a Leopard, Stalker, Cheetah or Eagle might be a good driver to try out. Distance drivers are popular these days, but I can tell you that I use fairway drivers much more, and my stash of fairway drivers is over 2x my stash of distance drivers. If I could only carry one driver I'd pick a Teebird over a Destroyer any day.

If you've never thrown a Buzz, I'd suggest trying one. Also, try out an understable midrange like a Gateway Element or Discraft Comet if you've never thrown one.

Gateway makes some awesome putters. My preference is using the Wizard as a driving putter and for longer approaches, while I use Magics for shorter approaches and for all putts. If you haven't tried driving with putters you should do so.

Really though, a Roc, Aviar and Teebird is all you need to demolish par on pretty much any course there is once you've developed your game. While trying out new discs is a blast, I can say skills > gear without a doubt, and well developed skills can translate to other discs better than using specific discs for specific shots and relying on them without ever developing the skills to do those shots with whatever disc you please.

Thanks for the nice reply:thmbup:. I know my game is crap compared to everyone on this forum but I can say I feel 90x better then when I first started. I just know there might be other discs out there that may work better for my game right now so I don't mind spending some cash to see if they will work for me. The good thing is every course around here is free !!

Last edited:
Mike did a nice job there. All I'll add is that the game will be so much more fun, and even trying new discs more fun, once form gets straightend out. It is so hard to grow using fast drivers- look at mike, I don't know him but he seems to have his game together for being a respectivly newer player. I attribute that to his dedication of the teebird and most likely mids & putters.
If you like buying discs, as I know I do, fill your bag with just a few types in different plastics or weights.

I don't think you need another driver. And there's no need to get a wizard unless you're unhappy with the puter you have. If I were you Id get a dx roc and start breaking it in to compliment you star sanny.

Dude, just go get yourself a Champ Orc. Once it gets beat up, it will hold any line you put it on.

i agree with the leopard. drop your high speed stuff and throw the leopard or maybe even a cyclone until you get it out to 300' consistently. like mike said, once there you'll be a bad man and own fairways with a teebird.

never throw that boss again.

I don't think you need another driver. And there's no need to get a wizard unless you're unhappy with the puter you have. If I were you Id get a dx roc and start breaking it in to compliment you star sanny.

This is what I was thinking as well. I say DX Rancho Roc to compliment your Sanny, keep your putters if you like them, and drop all your drivers except the Teebird. Add a Leopard or Cheetah for most driving to compliment the Teebird, relegating it to hyzers and distance duties.

That's the best, quick and easy fix IMO.

Keep on huking! :hfive:

I just picked up a leopard and I like it alot. It turns over nice with a little fade at the end everytime I threw it pretty much. I still can throw the boss a little further but I think I am going to put it in the bag only for forehand shots I need to go right.whats the difference between a sanny and rancho roc? I dont think I have seen one yet though??

Last edited:
I still can throw the boss a little further but I think I am going to put it in the bag only for forehand shots I need to go right.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I think you'll find that the boss is easier to control forehand for you too, idk if its due to extra spin from that style of throw? but I can control my boss wonderfully forehand, and rarely backhand. But going to slower discs is helping my backhand control overall, see the "discing down" thread to see why everyone is advising you to do this

Have you considered adding an understable mid-range? I carry a super beat-in stingray and I would not leave home without it. It's the only disc I use for controlled left-to-right shots. It's also a great disc to learn rollers on.

Rocs have 3 molds, rancho, San Marino and Ontario. Most stable to least stable in that order. I don't throw them these days but my favorite roc is a star San Marino 20th anniversary roc, though some of the worn kc pros I traded off were very nice.