• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What to step up to?

cdaddyphresh

Par Member
I'm getting my Leopards, slightly beat Volt, and Underworld to 325-375 consistently. I think I am ready to try something a little faster to go even further. I throw mainly backhand. I bag mostly Innova and Discraft, but willing to branch out some. Let's here some suggestions! Thanks!

Nice! If you want something similar to your Volt but a little more stable, then a Thunderbird or PD might be good. At your distances, I think you can probably step up to a full distance driver. I'd recommend a GStar Destroyer or a Wraith.

Nice! If you want something similar to your Volt but a little more stable, then a Thunderbird or PD might be good. At your distances, I think you can probably step up to a full distance driver. I'd recommend a GStar Destroyer or a Wraith.

I've been looking at getting a Pro Thunderbird to break in nicely. Also I have a bottom stamped Star Wraith and that thing is super overstable. I can get some distance out it if I put some anny on it. Might try my luck with a 168g Star Wraith.

If you want only a slight bump up but bigger distance potential then I would think about a Sidewinder. I agree on Gstar Destroyer, or also a DD Trespass as a good starting point in stable fast drivers. If you are hitting ~350' fairways you will definitely get good use out of faster discs and it will teach you some more things about nose angle and throw height.

You've probably already tried the Surge, but if not it's worth a try. ESP are nice, especially with some dome. Slightly more overstable are the CryZtal sparkles. Marshall Street had some for 9.99 right now.

I'm guessing your Wraith is a weirdo. You could probably find another star that would be less overstable with lots of distance potential. In my experience the Surge doesn't feel quite as wide-rimmed as the Wraith, so I like the feel a bit better.

If you want only a slight bump up but bigger distance potential then I would think about a Sidewinder. I agree on Gstar Destroyer, or also a DD Trespass as a good starting point in stable fast drivers. If you are hitting ~350' fairways you will definitely get good use out of faster discs and it will teach you some more things about nose angle and throw height.

Step up to a Sidewinder or Destroyer?

I'd recommend a Champion Sidewinder or Star Valkyrie, probably in the mid-160s from what I'm reading in your (OP's) posts.

IMHO you can also step up to a Star Tern in the 160s-170s, or a Champion Tern in the lower 160s. If the Tern is flippy/understable for you, then you're probably ready to try a Destroyer.

Ripping a volt up to 375? Your power is right in par with mine. Grab a 170 octane and give it some pavement/carpet/grass/tree/person/anything burn and it will beat into a disc that crushes. Longest measured throw I've gotten was 435, with that disc. Flat with no wind, wheeled off. If you want a little more stability grab a nitro as well, they only go ~395 with our power, but they are overstable at that range.

Step up to a Sidewinder or Destroyer?

Both I'd say. If he's liking the Leo and Underworld, then the Sidewinder is more of the same but in a slightly faster and very long disc. But also adding a stable (straight-ish) higher speed disc to work with like a Gstar/Pro (easier to throw) Destroyer, or Trespass would be good for giving more options on the course and learning how to throw those types of discs. Obviously they are very very different styles.

Ripping a volt up to 375? Your power is right in par with mine. Grab a 170 octane and give it some pavement/carpet/grass/tree/person/anything burn and it will beat into a disc that crushes. Longest measured throw I've gotten was 435, with that disc. Flat with no wind, wheeled off. If you want a little more stability grab a nitro as well, they only go ~395 with our power, but they are overstable at that range.

My friend bags an Octane. I think I'll have to give it a try next time we go. Sounds like a pretty good disc.

Both I'd say. If he's liking the Leo and Underworld, then the Sidewinder is more of the same but in a slightly faster and very long disc. But also adding a stable (straight-ish) higher speed disc to work with like a Gstar/Pro (easier to throw) Destroyer, or Trespass would be good for giving more options on the course and learning how to throw those types of discs. Obviously they are very very different styles.

I'd think stepping up from Leopard and Underworld to Sidewinder and something like PD would be more like it. Destroyer's a huge step up.

Hitting those distances with those discs, you should be able to throw pretty much whatever. BUT if you aren't used to the bigger rims a thunderbird is a good stepping stone on the way to faster discs.

Also, I expect your just not used to the wraiths rim and it's throwing off your follow thru if it's that beefy. If I'm wrong, hold onto that thing. I havnt been able to find a star wraith with any good over stability in awhile.

Hitting those distances with those discs, you should be able to throw pretty much whatever. BUT if you aren't used to the bigger rims a thunderbird is a good stepping stone on the way to faster discs.

Also, I expect your just not used to the wraiths rim and it's throwing off your follow thru if it's that beefy. If I'm wrong, hold onto that thing. I havnt been able to find a star wraith with any good over stability in awhile.
I definitely second that second statement, star/echo star wraiths are just long with a little wiggle and minimal fade. Just grab some high speed driver and get used to throwing it is my advice, they all throw different.

375' with a Leopard is impressive. You could definitely step up to something much faster and push your distance to well over 400'.

A Surge or Wraith would be a good start. They're fast (but not too fast) and have a fairly neutral flight.

I assume you're hyzer-flipping the Leopard? I'd try a Saint or a Northman next, or maybe a Champ Roadrunner.

You may benefit from a high speed driver (12+), but you seem to have a good thing going with your form. I suggest continuing to step up the speed gradually.

I assume you're hyzer-flipping the Leopard? I'd try a Saint or a Northman next, or maybe a Champ Roadrunner.

You may benefit from a high speed driver (12+), but you seem to have a good thing going with your form. I suggest continuing to step up the speed gradually.

While you do have a valid point, personally I would step up to the high speed stuff. A volt makes a very good control driver, there would be no need to have anything else between it and a driver for all out d. With that power the benefits of a speed 12/13 driver would definitely be noticeable, so another disc would in my opinion cause eventual overlap

I would even say to go the P-PD/S-TD route. Nice speed 10 rims for both and they each are further than the discs mentioned, but faster and longer like the OP wants. Plus there would be no need to step-up from the PD for a while since you can push them out to 425' respectively. Another plus for the PD is it can be thrown in almost all wind conditions depending on the plastic.