• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What would is the ONE disc you start a beginner with?

I think it's because lids do have deep rims but are similar to discs they may have already thrown...frisbees

an aero feels more frisbee like than a polecat, the blunt edge is sort of weird. (says the rhyno thrower)

My kids like Magics.

Cobra, I learned with it and it's still probably my most used Disc to this day. Pisses all over a Roc or Buzz. Short Drives, Killer Mid-range, I even putt in the wind with it. I hardly ever get a four because I'm so dead on with it

an aero feels more frisbee like than a polecat, the blunt edge is sort of weird. (says the rhyno thrower)

My kids like Magics.

My kids like the Birdie, Roc and #1Driver. The Roc and #1Driver are <130 - Birdie is 150 or so. The other favorite is a Hello Kitty Frisbee, but I don't count that, even though I have found it in my bag a couple of times.

yeah, I have some 119 Rocs for the kids.
Quest discs are very cheap and light. a T Bone is a decent beginner disc on a budget.

I really think the XD is perfect for beginners. Covers a lot of shots and uses. Neutral/slightly understable discs are usually best unless your beginners are older/stronger, but I still wouldn't start someone with a fairway. Choose weight based on age/strength/dexterity. Buzz, Buzz SS, Cobra, Panther, Core, Shark, Skeeter...all are good ones. I have mixed feelings on something like a Stingray for a first disc, but it wouldn't be a horrible choice.

I have a bunch of friends and family that are interested in giving the game a try. I want to buy some discs to give out to my parents/friends/family. Not sure if I should go with a putter or a mid.

Buzzz? Comet? Aviar? Cobra?

What do you think? Maybe a different choice for women/men?

Assuming they've never played but have thrown catch discs, I gotts to go with an Aero. Easy to control and oh so versitile. My favorite disc for a single disc round. There's a reason it's been around (and in my bag) forever.

Leopard, Leopard, Leopard! I recommend a 150. I'm not a fan of DX plastic, but it works. The first real disc I was able to control for distance as well as all kinds of approach shots. A true beginner wants instant gratification and the Leopard delivers. Long enough to drive with, flexible enough for all kinds of lines, and best of all forgiving for technique flaws. Once they get they're feet wet And really want to give the game a go then a Comet. The Comet is not forgiving for flaws in your technique. It could get a beginner really frustrated. Its all about having fun and the Leopard puts fun in the beginners game.

Any mid. I prefer the roc but with noobs I always tell them any mid

I would say a Cobra or a Stingray would work perfectly.

I would not, as much as I push it to anyone who's serious about improving, recommend a Comet. While they are great for diagnosing form issues, I believe that someone's first time out should be all about fun. With their inevitable bad form, no one will enjoy watching their disc turn and burn on every throw. After all that, very few people will want to come back.

I lean more towards the coyote. A real underrated disc. Can drive, approach, and putt with it long range imho.

The Z Buzzz was my first disc and I feel it helped me off to a good start. I've introduced a few of my friends and they've seemed to have the most success with my old Makos. I used those for a while before I switched over to DX Rocs. I have a bunch of Stars and a couple CFR Champs. The uber domey champs are pure glidey goodness. They can go frozen rope straight with just a little snap over 300ft and they hold beautiful Anhyzers. You could also putt with one, a great disc for a one disc round.

I know this is not what you asked, but it is something that I have done… is to take my "beginner" discs that have made it out of my bag, and I have a permanent "friend bag." The discs are beat in, which helps. So if a friend wants to give it a go, I just hand him/her this bag to play with. I then give driving and putting advice along the round. Currently there's a pro dart, buzz esp, stingray dx, pro leopard, nuke SS, archon and a tbird.

This way I haven't spent anymore money, and if they like it, they can buy discs that they have gravitated towards. It has seemed to work out pretty well. Plus they can get used to different rims and stableness. If they don't have much strength, then of course I would tell them to leave certain ones alone.

Latest posts