• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What'd you switch to?

I started with all innova, I still think a roc is one of the best mids out there, then got a buzzz and started to slowly converting my bag to 100% discraft. I say throw what you like, I love the nukes and forces, those are my main drivers, avenger ss are my fairway and turn over drivers, and predators. I just personally like the discraft plastic. I guess I am just used to discraft and to lazy to try and change what works for me

(i.e. Hipsters liking MVP).

Ah yes hipsters pull up on there vespas wearing scarfs and skinny jeans with a messenger bag full of mvp

Anyone else ever notice that hipsters look like the mods in slc punks

Not hating on hipsters my little brother is a hipster no matter how much I remind him that he looks like a tool

Thanks for weighing in guys, it's starting to make some sense. NoahChristopher, the brand loyalty/familiarity angle adds up it's just that I never thought to apply it to golf discs. I would feel like I was limiting myself given the myriad of discs out there. However, give me GM trucks and Honda motorcycles!:cool:

DiscinFiend you've sited many reasons that could be valid for folks, I guess I just think differently than most. Especially this "Another reason is that people just prefer less options than all the discs available on the market.". I guess I could see why someone would want to simplify things, but that's just not me. I want to try them ALL! :D Who knows what disc I might bond with.

Anyway, I think I have a better understanding now of the different thought processes out there. Thanks for lending your insight. Oh, and Austin ..........you could throw a paper plate and beat me! :rolleyes: LOL

Curtis

Ah yes hipsters pull up on there vespas wearing scarfs and skinny jeans with a messenger bag full of mvp

Anyone else ever notice that hipsters look like the mods in slc punks

Not hating on hipsters my little brother is a hipster no matter how much I remind him that he looks like a tool

That's funny I have a Hipster friend named Kyle & he plays disc golf. He always wears skinny jeans, wears scarfs a lot, he drives a scooter (Idk if it's a Vespas though) & guess what? He carries a messenger bag of only MVP discs :D He is the main reason I made the original Hipster comment. In his opinion it's to "mainstream" to throw backhand so he only throws overhand, a little sidearm & he turbo putts. I think its funny he thinks backhand is to "mainstream" b/c disc golf itself isn't even mainstream yet.

175g Proline Tsunami(I started out forehand)
150g DX Shark(...and switched to backhand w/ the "player pack")
150g DX Leopard
(lost the Aero immediately)
Dyed 170g Z Comet
175g Star Shark(Dye of a Monkey,purchased off e-Bay)
169 ESP Nuke(still drove forehand albeit terribly in retrospect)
170g Pro Destroyer(cycled many through the bag)
174g Icon Cannon(have one flippy, one stable)
The Wizard purchasing begins.
Firebirds reign(in Pro, Star & Champion)
Learned to throw thumbers
The Roadrunner, the Wraith all came and went
The Tee-bird(and still)
Started branching out and started carrying a very heavily thought out and intentionally diverse bag, consisting of 7 different manufacturers molds.
Eraser Wizard
Prodigy Proto PA4
Z Comet
ESP Buzz
Prodigy First Run M2
Westside VIP Underworld
Lat 64. Opto River
Star TeeBird
MVP Neutron Shock
12X Champ Firebird
Prodigy D2-D3-D4
On that brings me to my new phase: an all Prodigy bag(this coincides with me having to throw lefty again(the word throw is used loosely, it's more of a spasm at this point). Anyway I thought since I have to learn again from scratch why not try carrying just one manufacturer? Rhetorical.

You sound exactly like a past me. Started 100% Innova as a comfort zone. Started to try out Discraft but wosn't impressed enough to make any real changes there. My next shift was trying out Discmania and Millennium which share production, making it feel very Innova family as I got used to other companies. Then I broke heavily into the European family with Latitude 64 and Westside. I've tasted some DGA, Dynamic Discs, Gateway, Legacy, MVP, Prodigy, and Vibram along the way, but nothing stuck. Basically any company that offers premium plastic is ok in my book. Its all personal preference about flight path and molds after that.

I've settled after years on 5 manufacturers.

By mold (11):
4 Latitude 64
2 Innova
2 Westside
2 Discmania
1 Discraft

By disc (20):
6 Latitude 64
5 Innova
4 Westside
3 Discmania
2 Discraft

Latitude 64: 2 Sinuses, 2 Pains, Trident, Diamond
Innova: 2 Xcalibers, 3 Wraiths
Westside: 2 Swan2s, 2 Kings
Discmania: 2 FD Jackals, TD Rush
Discraft: 2 Trackers

I highly recommend finding 4 discs that feel GREAT and can be go-to workhorses for a ton of shots. 1 putter, mid, fairway, and distance driver. Then build the rest of your bag around shots that those particular molds cannot accomplish. For me it was the Swan, Pain, Tracker, Wraith. I spaced out the rest of my disc choices for lines that those 4 discs could not accomplish, even though the majority of my shots would use those 4 mains.

I started out with Latitude 64. Had no idea what they were about, just loved the way the plastic looked. Iv'e branched out some in the couple of years I have been playing, but I always go back to Latitude 64. I have loved their plastic from day one. I never got into Innova too much, and Discraft has great discs, just never found any that clicked with me long term other than the Buzzz. Latitude 64/DD/Westside just does it for me.

I started out with Latitude 64. Had no idea what they were about, just loved the way the plastic looked. Iv'e branched out some in the couple of years I have been playing, but I always go back to Latitude 64. I have loved their plastic from day one. I never got into Innova too much, and Discraft has great discs, just never found any that clicked with me long term other than the Buzzz. Latitude 64/DD/Westside just does it for me.

Kinda the opposite for me. I began as mostly an Discraft guy.

Buzzz, Xpress, Reaper, Challenger, Breeze, Wasp were the first discs I purchased myself.

Then navigated over to Innova.. For a while my bag was only DC / Innova mix.

Eventually I found Latitude- I threw some of their early "Latitude dome" molds such as the Mirus, Primitus, and Medius. I liked the Primitus quite a bit, actually.

But eventually dropped them out of the bag. Came back a year or so later and grabbed a River and Fuse. Both are still in the bag- and I have since added more plastic produced by them.

I also have a 100% Lat/DD/Westside bag for fun days. I love their plastic.

Right now, my bad (as seen in my sig) kinda reflects a few molds from each company I have tried. The ones that stuck anyway. The "Best of the Best" that each company has to offer, in my opinion. haha

I switched to Innova - or back to Innova if you prefer - after checking out lots of L64 and MVP and using Discraft mids for years.

I might go back to DC on the mids, we'll see.

In my small bag this is what I have.

By mold:

Lat 64 - 5
DD - 2
MVP - 2
Westside - 2

I started with only Innova (around 1998). Didn't try another company until about 4 years ago (Discraft Buzzz)

For me, none of my MVP discs replaced anything. They are all unique enough that the fill previously unheld spots with the exception of the Tangent, which replaced my really best up KC Pro Rocs.

The big one for me is the Legacy Patriot. It booted out my Leopard. The Icon flies just like the best Leo youve ever had, but for me the slightly altered rim makes it a more comfortable fit in my meaty paws. And now I have a 168g yellow and gummy Pinnacle Patriot that flies just like a fresh Champ Leo. Canr wait to break it in a little and make it really work some lines.

Other than that, the F3 has made a run at my first run Shocks, which I used to replace my 9x KC Pro Eagles because I could get the same flight but with added distance. The F3 is quite a bit shorter, but again, it feels so comfy in my hands.

Started out playing as a 10yr old with my uncles, all they threw was Lighting and Innova so thats what I started with, a #1 driver and a 150 shark and 150 aviar. Then as I improved I ended up throwing lots of innova and a few discraft (buzzz and predator) until I settled into a Discraft and DGA only bag. But now I'm in the throws of the european companies and they are calling to me hard haha. I personally like picking 1-2 companies and throwing only their discs. It forces me to learn my discs and then I can semi-resist the constant temptation to buy discs. But thats just me, I recently ordered some new Lat/Westside/DD discs so we'll see if I remain DGA/Discraft.

Started with Innova, then went on a big journey trying various companies, then came back to all Innova.

Started trying some new brands this year. Really liking vibram so far, and have been happy w/ my Lat64 drivers. Prior to I was all discraft and mostly innova.

For OH throws my venom has replaced flicks and firebirds as my longest driver.

Wasn't too happy w/ my ti buzzz, got an obex and don't think I will look back.

I started with innova then switched to gateway and then went all innova and then when all the new companies came out i tried their stuff. i liked the giant and that was pretty much it but recently i came to the realization that i knew my innova stuff really well why switch. Some lat and discraft stuff are still in my bag because i havent found stuff like it. I love my trident and tracker but the tracker flies just like a stable eagle so its whatever you like best. I tried the judge for a while but i just like my wizards better and i had a striker but it wasnt as stable as my teebird or PD.

I recently bought a Shock and Anode after reading every loud mouth MVP nut go on and on and on about how great MVP discs are. They were right. I'm definitely going to be dipping into the MVP well when I need something reliable. The Shock replaced my Pred and the Anode is filling my understable putter slot.

Before there was Swedish plastic like most I was mainly Innova with a Discraft disc or two in my bag. I was that way for four years. Until this year when I started messing around with the Swedes, and let me tell you they don't mess around!

What kept me coming back and trying more and more of their plastic was how effortlessly you could throw and get more distance and better lines. In my personal opinion they really reward a controlled smooth release, and it shows as soon as you release it into the air. Not to mention I've never thrown plastic with so much glide it's unbelievable really! Mainly the Warship it doesn't want to ever come out of the air!

I've also thrown some Legacy, and they are a top notch company! All of their discs are fantastic, I've tried them all except their putters. I really enjoy Legacy's line of plastics as well, all the way from Icon to Protege.

Vibram is another company I really enjoy, I'm currently only using their VP, Summit, and Ridge but couldn't be happier. Those putters have been a staple in my bag for almost a couple years now. I really was impressed with the Lace, their high speed driver, I found it easy to get controlled distance without having to really get on it.

I hope my wall of text doesn't scare you from reading it and you do go out and think outside of the box in terms of staying with the so called big two.

Last edited:
The consistency of Innova manufacturing has been steering me away from them for several years now.I can't get two discs out of the box to do the same thing.I still use Pro and Champ Katana and Star Leopard.You could (I did) go OCD trying to settle on an Innova bag,too many molds for a new player.
Discraft consistency is awesome and trust-able. The Force will always be with me.The Ti Wasp is awesome,ESP Surge,Nuke OS.
My putter progression was Aviar,Banger GT,Magic,MVP Ion.I have settled in with the MVP Anode.The MVP Shock is an awesome fairway driver.
I recently got to feel the Prodiscus Premi plastic and fell in love.Got the whole line of Premi and a Basic putter.This will be the first time in forever that I'm thinking about going with one manufacturer.

Innova seems to be the most readily availible company. I started with several of theirs among others and have now branched out a bit. I'd like to think I'm evolving...

Beast / Eagle > Teebird / Firebird

Leopard / Roc > Various Buzzzes

Comet > Fuse

Birdie / Magnet > Wizard / Magic

As for that Shark that I started my first round with? In some form or another, still in the bag!