• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the unluckiest shot you've ever had?

Are discs breaking like this common?

Just for some context this was back around '94 and the disc was a beat up DX Cobra. It was also a chilly day. I didn't actually see the disc hit (it was a blind shot) The chains sounded loud. All we could figure out was after the disc hit the chains it shot down and hit the basket where the pole goes through.

Really screwed up a forehand shot once that traveled about 150ft landed on edge, then turned right traveled about 70ft, turned right again and traveled close to 200 ft. Needless to say the disc ended up 60ft behind and to the right of the tee. It was interesting to watch though.

not my shot but i'm pretty sure mike sullivan getting a spit out that cost him the world championship tops yours...

I heard a rumor he pulled that basket out of the ground and has it tucked away somewhere. Good old Toronto Island folklore!

Mine would be hole 8 at VA Barrie in St Thomas Ontario, quite a few years ago when I couldn't reach the pin. It's a very steep, tight, low ceiling, straight uphill 220' drive, the basket is on the incline as well, roots everywhere. I was about half way up the fairway, and I planned to layup under the basket, well, my aviar caught a root, and like all good aviars, proceeded to roll all the way down the fairway about 20 feet past the tee. So I throw again, to about the same spot as my first drive, go for the layup, and it kicks off a root and rolls again, not all the way down this time, but about 10 feet past where I threw it from. Third layup attempt sits, and I drop-in for the 6. The hole is a super easy 3, if you can avoid the roots :wall:

It's a tough 450'ish dog leg par 4. you start out in a field with a treeline on your left. there's an opening in the treeline at 350' and 420' where you can go at the basket to the left. the basket sits a bit downhill 100' in and there's a 5' wide creek going across the green about 5' from the basket that wraps around the front and left of the basket.

most people are taking fours or much higher scores on this hole. i drive to the first gap with great placement which still gives you a tough shot because the creek is so close to the basket. i approach and end up about 10' past the basket and safe. so now i'm looking at a 3 and gaining some strokes and when i go to putt my disc goes right through the front chains, hits the center pole, turns vertical and comes right out the back... right in to the creek and OB.

i took a 5.

I heard a rumor he pulled that basket out of the ground and has it tucked away somewhere. Good old Toronto Island folklore!

Mine would be hole 8 at VA Barrie in St Thomas Ontario, quite a few years ago when I couldn't reach the pin. It's a very steep, tight, low ceiling, straight uphill 220' drive, the basket is on the incline as well, roots everywhere. I was about half way up the fairway, and I planned to layup under the basket, well, my aviar caught a root, and like all good aviars, proceeded to roll all the way down the fairway about 20 feet past the tee. So I throw again, to about the same spot as my first drive, go for the layup, and it kicks off a root and rolls again, not all the way down this time, but about 10 feet past where I threw it from. Third layup attempt sits, and I drop-in for the 6. The hole is a super easy 3, if you can avoid the roots :wall:

I thought it kind of ironic as well that my LUCKIEST shot ever was also due to a root; some years later. I shanked a drive into trees left of the fairway (hole 5 longs at White Spruce in Brampton ON) and only had a reach out forehand roller shot to get out. So I let 'er rip, can;t see anything, I hear the others on my card cheering for my great shot, then it goes quiet and I hear chains and they start yelling. The forehand roller bounced in off a root for a 2. It would have been about a 200 foot shot, down a hill, right to left, through tiiiight trees!

I guess me and roots are even now :clap: karma exists in disc golf!

Probably hole #3 at Hansen park several years ago.

I think it's about 300-325 ft from the alternate tee on top of the hill, probably about 25ft drop from top of the hill to the hole. Tossed a hyzer on a perfect line and the disc went in, hit the bottom of the basket and bounced out. Bad enough but then it rolled about 100 feet down the hill behind the hole an parked behind the sign for the next hole. Turned an ace into a bogey when the second shot went of the side of the basket and came most of the way back to me. :mad:

A few weeks ago I had a great drive on a par 4 that left me with a 40ft Eagle shot (hole 13, bellamy park). The hole is on the side of a wooded hill and at the bottom of the hill is a swamp next to the river. You get where this is going. I went for it, hit the side of the basket and the disc took off down the hill and into a thorn bush in the swamp. I ended up taking a 6 :wall:

Mine happened a few weeks back. Me and a friend are playing Deer Lick Park in Douglasville, GA. Hole #3: lake to the left, gravel walking path straight ahead going the length of the lake, hill to the right with plenty of trees halfway down, and the basket 350-400 on the hill. My drive gets under the trees on the right (what I was aiming for) so I can lay up a mid range shot and card a 3. 2nd shot banks off the left side of a tree, glides down to the water's edge, hits the seat of a park bench, and skips into the lake about 15 feet. Had it not been for the bench, it would have skidded in the gravel and I could have gotten it back... Didn't have much motivation after that hole to take the round seriously.

every shot i took tuesday. went out w/a friend who called me up 'cause he wanted me to show him around. we played a tight wooded course and he's hitting the long and straight. i'm all over the place tree to tree, much to his amusement.."hey i thought you played all the time?" so the guy who plays once a year comes out and crushes me. didn't help we went out w/ friends for drinks later. a great time was had at my expense.

There was this basket....and then there was this hill....

You know the rest.

I HATE rollaways.

There was this basket....and then there was this hill....

You know the rest.

I HATE rollaways.

Yes sir, mine is also a rollaway story.

On hole #1 at The ROC, I was putting for birdie from ~60'. It looked perfect but dropped at the last second and hit cage and rolled even further away. Putting for Par, again felt perfect but hit cage and rolled away even further! So I took a double bogey on a hole that I missed birdie by maybe two inches.

Freakin' Rhynos!!!

. . . . . . .

A better story is one of the first times I went golfing with my girlfriend. I was not very serious about the game yet and only had a couple dx discs.

So my buddy lets her borrow one on hole #5 at The ROC. She griplocks it so badly that it travelled almost straight backwards from the tee over a fence and into the electric company restricted zone. She lost ANOTHER disc of his later in the round in the water. They were just plain Champion drivers.

So I jumped in the pond one day and pulled out some discs and gave him a couple since I owed him. I knew nothing of the collector market at the time. I ended up giving him a sweet FR Champ Boss unknowingly that he would never trade back to me once I figured out what it was worth, haha. He still has that damn disc.

Yes sir, mine is also a rollaway story.
Freakin' Rhynos!!!

This is why I started using R-Pro Rhynos. I know people hate them, but I've had so many ridiculous rollaways with stiffer discs that I just said "screw it" and got the floppiest discs I could for putting. Before, when I was using a kc pro aviar (I was a complete noob) to putt I managed to miss a 15m putt, hit the basket, watch it roll past me, go down some stairs, hit a road and just keep going. :thmbdown: My buddy and I agreed that it was out of bounds once it hit the stairs, which is great because once it his the street it rolled about 500'. I think we watched it roll for about 2 minutes straight. It was assisted by a 30 or so mile an hour wind keeping the disc from keeling over while it rolled, so the chances of that ever happening again are slim to none.

If that ever happens to me again I'm putting away my discs and never coming back. The mere thought... :sick:

Latest posts