• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's your favorite neutral, workable, "do it all" midrange?

What distance do you use these for and how do they fly? I've seen some reviews that they're straight and some that they're flippy

They will flip up if you ask them to but they are pretty good at holding a line. Usually not more than 325' unless downwind/downhill. It sometimes goes a lot farther than I expect though.

I bag a 1.8 as a more stable compliment if I need to throw harder.

Comet

Straight/hyzer/anhyzer/turnovers, forehand or backhand, for long shots and short shots

It really can do it all very well. It might not be the best at everything, but I've been saying for years it's the single best golf disc every made...as long as it's not too windy.

MD3. It's straight stable, not OS. Holds anny almost to the ground and pans. Doesn't turn with high speed, and also great in the wind. Wind is where it puts away the Buzzz, Origin and Hex, and Comet- but it also point and shoot in no wind. Downside: no hyzer flips.

Truth or Roc are my preferences. I like the Buzz, but it has a little less glide IMO and slightly deeper lip, so doesn't fit my hand as well as the Truth or the Roc. In my bag it's the Truth. It's a straight shooter with upper management potential.

My four year old Biofuzion Emac Truth is that disc for me. If I ever lost it, I would throw a regular (non-Emac) Truth in the bag as a gap-filler and would start beating the snot out of my backup Biofuzion Emac Truth.

The Roc/Roc3 molds have the reputation as being the best cycling/do everything mid, but I hate how the Roc comes out of my hand on flicks and didn't care for how much they fade relative to how little headwind resistance they provide. Roc does win the cheat code to an insta-cycle by having the better baseline disc though. Trilogy mids mold up disgustingly flat in baseline plastic.

Origin

For me it is the Origin. I have two in the bag right now. One very beat-in in Neo plastic that is great for US shots and straight to US hyzerflips depending on speed. The other is a lightly used Kyle Klein Midnight Prowl in Meta Plastic that is straight to stable. Still hyzer-flips, but has a more dependable finish. It will absolutely hold a line whether hyzer, anhyzer, or flat.

Working on an MD3 too, but I just don't have anywhere as many throws with it so the trust isn't quite there yet.

Lonestar Middy, goofy name/serious flight.

The glow version is a very straight disc that will hold a turn for a long time if you want it to, and hold a hyzer well. Like a shallower tick more stable Buzzz.

The Alpha plastic is pretty beefy almost like a Pyro. It's got some glide but will always fade and is flat enough to forehand pretty well.

The 9 year old z buzzz in my bag fills this slot. It flies very similarly to a fresh SS.

My Star Mako3 is my favorite, but I also use my Claymore in Frost plastic quite a bit, it really sticks to the ground and minimal roll aways.

What's your favorite Mako3/BuzzzSS/Aurora MS type mid that you put on any line and it does work for you?

I think we have different opinions on what a workable mid is if you are saying BuzzzSS and not Buzzz. For me, if we're saying true mid, it's the Hex, because workable to me means it can stay on hyzer, or stay on anhyzer. I think less stable than a Hex/Buzzz type is not going to be able to be as workable when a more stable shot is needed.

Traditionally I havent really enjoyed midranges. I went several seasons throwing Envies instead of mids. But last year I gave the Roc a shot again and I fell in love with it. My favorite midrange is now a DX Roc. I prefer them from broken in to slightly beat up

I've been the same way. I didn't throw mids for years because of the Envy. I just added a Hex to the bag and really enjoy it though. I still throw my Envy more than my Hex, and honestly, would call it my most workable disc in general, and use it more of a mid.

Have to disagree on the Roc though, idk if it's the bead or what, but they just never clicked for me. Classic Rocs are ok ish, but then you're really getting into Envy territory, and I think the Envy feels better in the hand.

I'm liking all the options and reasons that are being posted as to why a specific disc is the "go-to" mid range.

I've tried the Discraft Buzzz, DGA Rift, Kastaplast Svea, and currently bag an Innova Star Mako3. I'm still trying to find that one mid range that if I could only carry one putter, one mid range, and one driver...what would be that mid range.

Like zendragon, I keep an Envy in my bag as that disc seems to fit every spot (putter, mid, driver), but I rarely use it. I throw it when nothing else seems to work.

I might have to add a Hex to the list of discs to try.

Pre-Emac Lucid Truth

Been in the bag for a few years, has a few miles on it. Just dead straight for me, but controllable when I need different shots.

Another vote for a seasoned DX Roc or Roc3.