• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What's your opinion on Champion TeeBirds?

I really loved mine until I lost it at Giles Run, VA...the ravenous thorns ate it. I replaced it with a star teebird and am enjoying that one too.

I keep two in the bag at all times. One a little beat in, and one that's on the more overstable side. When playing windy conditions, thrown lower 10' or less of height, with a little hyzer, it will fight wind and go up to 300' consistently. It's one of the few drivers that will fight a headwind and let me still place a shot. I love it for wooded courses that require a fade at the end. They are a very predictable disc. Now if any one has any 9 time KC Pro's that they want to get rid of...(max weigh pref.)

My CE Teebird was my "go-to" driver for a long time until I aced #4 at Dolese and put it up on the wall. Now I drive with a TL, which imo is just as predictable, just as reliable. Both good discs.

I have a star teebird but I'll share anyway. Out of all my discs I've had it for the longest. I've cycled through several other drivers, mids, and putters but the teebird has remained a constant. I use it for everything from quick turning accurate thumbers, scoobies, short flicks, powering through bushes, etc. It still flies very consistently and has a very predictable fade at slower speeds. At higher speeds it's very straight.

Not to thread jack, but what weight Teebird do you throw?

I love my 170g DX Leopard and consistantly put it out to 300' wherever I want it to go.

I want to get a Champion Teebird, but not sure on the weight. Was thinking a little lighter than 170g since it is so stable. (My driver is a 167g Champion Valk the is still pretty stable for me, also throw a 175g DX Roc, 171g DX Aviar P&A).

So what weight should I get?

Not to thread jack, but what weight Teebird do you throw?

I love my 170g DX Leopard and consistantly put it out to 300' wherever I want it to go.

I want to get a Champion Teebird, but not sure on the weight. Was thinking a little lighter than 170g since it is so stable. (My driver is a 167g Champion Valk the is still pretty stable for me, also throw a 175g DX Roc, 171g DX Aviar P&A).

So what weight should I get?
I would jump in around the 167 mark. That should give you a little more stability/fade and a little more "D", but similar feel to the leopard. That's my go to combo for fairway drivers, but I am in the max weight range.

Sigh,
I don't seem to have enough distance to enjoy all the benefits of a Champ Teebird. I have one, but it's a bit too overstable for me.

Don't give up on it yet, just get it beat in a little and it will be nice... the champs do take awhile to beat in, but once it is you'll know it. My advice would be too do some field work with it..

I used to not like teebirds because I could throw a Destroyer 350' and if I threw the Teebird the same way it would only go 300'....until I learned the secret of continuous accelleration. The first time I threw a Champion Teebird with continuous acceleration it went 400'. Now that I know the secret the Teebird is the longest disc in my bag and it is very straight with no turn and very little fade.

Broke down and got one

After reading this thread I went out and bought one yesterday after league play. Only threw it once (it was already 9:30), and am excited to throw it more. I really needed a good fairway driver :)

I have a champ xout teebird and it is the most consistent short driver that I own. I also have a dx teebird that is pretty good.

Yes champ teebirds rock...my favorite is the CFR glo tee bird, seem to be a little more overstable..

I got one of the Day Glo CFR's and love it. It is just a little grippier and flies fantastic. The TeeBird should be a staple of anyones DG bag. I've thrown DX's, Champs, and Star's and they all fly wonderfully. My only complaint about the Champion version is they are a little less grippy but the also tend to fly the straightest. The TeeBird and its cousin the TL are the supreme gold standard of fairway drivers PERIOD.

I lost my Champ Teebird yesterday and am considering replacing it. However I'm considering going with the Star Teebird, thoughts?

I absolutely love my Champ tee bird..... it took my a little while to figure it out, now it is one of my "go-to discs" I love it

What is this "Continuous Acceleration" you speak of, Sidewinding?

I lost my Champ Teebird yesterday and am considering replacing it. However I'm considering going with the Star Teebird, thoughts?

New star is a little softer than champ, grip is excellent. Each plastic has its own special benefits. But star is probably the best if you jsut own 1 teebird.

New star is a little softer than champ, grip is excellent. Each plastic has its own special benefits. But star is probably the best if you jsut own 1 teebird.

x2...i love the grip of the star, but it seems to be slightly more overstable than the 11x champ i have...almost aced 3 at freeman lake today with the champ teebird...i haven't had them very long (maybe a month), but i absolutely love them!

agreed. The durability has been great so far. I use it often for thumbers and the way that shot lands is hard on my discs.

Just picked up a 175 Champ TeeBird the other day and I didn't like it at first, every time I threw it backhand it would just sail high and come crashing down. Now that I've thrown it a little more it makes a great turnover driver backhand and when i throw forehand it curves off to the left and comes back and lands perfectly straight from where I'm standing. Right now I'm trying to decide what to keep in my bag out my Eagle, TL, and the TeeBird.

Latest posts