• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When do you NEED to be throwing a driver.

I go up in speed until they quit flying any farther.
Then I have found my fastest disc that will help my distance.
I will often try and use the slowest disc I can for the shot.

Even pros throw Firebirds and Destroyers on 250-350' holes.

Just depends on the line you need. Also wind, ceiling, playing a skip, etc.

It's easy to fall into the habit of looking at the distance on the tee and just grabbing a disc based on that but, it really is all about actually eyeing down the shot and thinking about which disc in your bag will do that shot.

I'm starting to only break my drivers out on the longer, open holes. That's for both distance drivers and fairway drivers.(I don't throw anything faster than a destroyer and the only actual distance drivers I keep in the bag are an Archon (glow and champ) and two G star destroyers (one very os and one stable to os) I also carry PDs but consider them as long fairway drivers.
I've found myself playing way better when sticking to midranges and putters on the course. Accuracy is greater than distance on 90% of the courses that I play. Learn to work an overstable, stable, and understable midrange/ putter and your game will start improving greatly!

Exactly. I may be able to get a midrange to the basket, but a fairway will let me keep it under the trees better, while a faster driver will let me play the high percentage shot with the big skip at the end. Sometimes it's better to disc UP for shorter holes. You just have to be confident with your discs and what each one will do consistently.

^^^Yep. Threw a Star Wraith at a little ol' 220' hole with a big wad of vegetation blocking the center of the run, necessitating an anny with a quick tailoff. My Truth/Buzzz/Dart probably would have gone straight and left me with over 30' for a putt, but the underpowered Wraith died off and fell 5' from the basket.

And when they park that close, the driver gets the victory putt, too.:)

I agree with a lot of this where....It's 'What Disc can make this shot happen" Usually looking at shaping a disc through the air. I usually use a faster disc in a scenario if I'm not too sure...sometimes distance is deceiving and something plays a lot 'longer' than it looks. I find using a Flick or Pulse is good for throwing lighter so I can Anhyzer them and they still fade the other way without being a very hard throw. Aced with the pulse on a 250 ft uphill shot.

For me, once it gets over 400, it's got to be a distance driver. But if there is a low enough tunnel shot or a bigger hyzer line on a shorter shot, I ain't ashamed to throw a distance driver. I like fairways because they go far but don't skip as much. Mids can go far too as long as there is a high enough ceiling.
Just throw what is best for you on each hole.

"When do you NEED to be throwing a driver." - Me or you? For me may be completely different for you. ;)

I've seen noodle arms use high speed discs and throw them on a huge crazy anny to try to get more distance when they could have easily used a much slower, stable disc and achieved greater distance and accuracy.

I tend to use the slowest possible disc for the shot and throw it fairly hard for accuracy. I do find myself using fairway drivers more and more, opting for a nice controlled 300ft drive whenever possible. Being able to throw a max weight Buzzz 200ft+, accurately for my approach shot has vastly improved my overall game.

With that being said, when the opportunity is there to attempt some max d, that's when I'll pull out a faster speed disc. Parked hole #3 from the whites for a birdie at Bicentennial (crowley, tx) mini the other day and that's a 460ft hole. Granted, it was down hill and the wind was right, but knowing when to use a high speed driver is important due to potential loss of accuracy, etc. In this case I knew a slight head wind would help stabilize my 175 Daedalus due to I tend to hyzer more when throwing harder. The disc instantly flipped up, flew straight as an arrow for around 350ft, started to fade left and landed 5 ft from the hole. :)

I use a high speed driver whenever the hole is too long for me to confidently throw a zone. That means anything over 210-220ft.

Be smart and win. Use the right disc at the right time.

Boom.
Don't get too caught up on distances. If it's howling out on the course and you're faced with a wide open 220 footer, there's times that flicking that Destroyer out there on the reliable hyzer line is the best thing to do.
Just because a disc is "too fast" for your power doesn't mean it's useless. Experiment with a variety of discs to understand what you can do with them.

Putters: 200ft, Mid Ranges: 250ft, Fairway Drivers: 300ft, Max D Drivers 350ft+

I think those numbers are realistic goals for rec to intermediate players. For open/pros I think adding another 50ft per category is about right.

Latest posts