• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When you were new, what helped your game improve?

It doesn't matter how far someone throws if they struggle around the greens.

I've got a white board in my pro shop where I wrote a "hot tip of the day" probably 15 years ago, and it's never been erased because I still haven't thought of a better one...

"Mastering the 15 foot putt will improve your scores faster than mastering the 300 foot drive."

You can change either number, make it 20 and 350 or 30 and 400 or whatever, but the premise holds true regardless. Putting is where the strokes are saved. It is the only thing you are expected to have to do on every hole you ever play (unless you ace). And it is the easiest part of the game to practice with regularity.

Minimize the number of molds you are throwing.

Learn to throw forehands with understable discs (Buzzz is a good one to start with). Usual advice is to use super overstable drivers for these shots, but if you learn it that way, it will severely limit the things you can do with a forehand.

When you find a disc that works well for you, look for a series of discs with similar rim width and feel in the hand, but of varying flight patterns. That way, when you develop consistency with one of them, it's easier to translate it to the others in the series and access a bunch of different flight patterns.
Example, Fairway drivers: Orc, Beast, Valk, and Roadrunner
Example, Midranges: BuzzzOS, Hornet, Buzzz, BuzzzSS

Field practice is good, like a bunch of others have said. But also if you can go to a less-populated course, or can go at an off-time, use a course for solo practice. On each hole, throw multiple tee shots and then throw multiple approaches from one of the worst tee shots, and multiple putts from one of the worst approaches. This gives you repetitions in realistic situations, with tight gaps, standstills and weird stances and all. Just make sure you count your discs every time before you go to the next hole.

Throw a Polecat, Comet, similar neutral disc a lot and learn how to throw a disc like you're pounding a hammer.

Well, then I started 40 years ago we played lot of other frisbee games like DDC and freestyle for example. Just throwing frisbee with your friend in park will you help a lot. Of course frisbee is "little" different than golf disc to thorw but it will make you "clean" your form.

Aside from my practice basket, the best training aid I've used was a football field. Once I got a straight line drive down the sideline marker to work it became time to use the end zone and goal posts as a landing target. I would throw flight lines from all parts of the field and try to hit the middle of the end zone between the posts.

Field practice. There just isn't enough chance to learn how to throw and to learn how your discs fly by playing rounds.

I'm only 12 months in to learning to play.

My one tip so far is when you are working on your driving form on the practice field - film yourself. Not saying every time, but regularly enough to catch bad habits.

I was amazed by the number of (bad) things I did that I had no idea I was doing. Absolutely no idea.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When I was new the best things that worked for me were to forget everyone else (pros, friends, videos, etc.), and JUST THROW. Granted I'm a DGCR 845, but once I let go of all the, what I'll call "social" barriers, and just THREW, I was able to teach myself a fair deal of the essence of DG. Another thing that's related but separate, IMO, is to not let yourself care about what the random people you play ahead of will think, just THROW. I still get stage fright in front of others that I may play against or play through, but you gotta let that s**t go. JUST THROW. and keep on throwing.

There's a quote attributed to Bruce Lee that goes something like, "I don't fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks one time, I fear the man who has practiced ONE kick 10,000 times.

All great advice so far,

For me, FIELD WORK, is not gonna happen...I love throwing the discs, I hate picking them up. My rounds are my practice, therefore, I throw 3 to 4 times a week.

I did practice a lot of putting, get a stack of 10 to 30 putters, all the same mold, start at East, 10 feet out from the basket, throw them until you make 100%, then move to South,10 feet out, make 100%, then West, then North. When you make 100% from all stations, back up to 15 feet and do it all again, then 20, 25, 30. It is very difficult to make 100% from 30 feet....but the shear repetition of all those throws will improve your putting. The North, South East West thing, allows for varying wind directions, different ground slopes, and footing. There is a video out there of this practice technique.

It helped my putting a lot......drive for show.....putt for dough....that old golf adage holds true for disc golf as well.

ABOVE ALL ELSE....HAVE FUN....if it isn't fun, what's the point....and that is why I don't do field work, field work is work, it is not fun (for me), so I don't do it....but you should do whatever works for you.

Last edited:
1. Just playing more really. In particular, playing with better players more often.

2. Buying a basket and practicing putting as often as possible. Since moving and selling the basket, my putting has gotten noticeably worse and does so whenever I don't get practice in.

3. Minimizing molds, cycling molds, pairing down the bag, throwing more understable/neutral plastic and trying to get it to do what I wanted.

4. Stopped worrying about scoring well and realizing that I was playing to have fun. Obviously I want to play well, but I'm not going to let a bad round ruin my day.

5. Learning to be proficient with backhand and forehand.

The people I am playing doubles with have been very kind and I am learning.

I was curious, are there any specific things you did that you think accelerated the quality of your skills? Besides just playing a lot?

Watching instructional videos. Watching pros in tournaments. Then practicing as well as playing.

Also, i started out playing with a group. Peer pressure to not look bad can help a surprising amount.

Throwing mostly a putter for my first year, just by luck my area did not sell true disc golf discs and in 2003 there were only a few places to buy discs online. I got to a PIAS store near the oldest disc golf course in the Dakotas, Omaha Park made in 1979 with baskets in 1980 course to play at the time on the old baskets. It is a shame those old Baskets are gone now from Omaha Park as they were a great history lesson for Disc Golf. The old Rebar and metal pole baskets in 2004 were starting the process of rusting away at that point with some of the baskets. Nice to see the Course is getting some of the old baskets from the other better park that is getting new baskets to replace the older Chainstar baskets.

Other thing I learned when new is to not worry about distance after a bit, with a putter that was easy to make an excuse.

Last edited:
4. Stopped worrying about scoring well and realizing that I was playing to have fun. Obviously I want to play well, but I'm not going to let a bad round ruin my day.

Nothing is more annoying than having someone on the card who's blaming all and everything, constantly. Usually it makes them play even worse. Thus, relax, take it easy and have fun! Having a good time is as much success as you can have!

An injury helped me more than anything... don't hurt yourself!

I injured my off (non throwing) shoulder while climbing. When I went to play, in order for it to not hurt like crazy I had to relax and keep my arm close to my body throughout the throwing motion. I could throw it 50 feet farther just from being hurt. Tensed up arms and shoulders kill distance and accuracy. That's the biggest disc golf improvement in my game. I grew up throwing Frisbees so I had a pretty good idea how to throw when I started playing disc golf. I was bad about my off arm being away from my body though.

Learn control.

Field work was sometimes negative for me early on, because I was throwing everything 110% power (putters, mids, drivers). Start getting used to throwing lower power and getting control. Learn to forehand something like a Buzzz or putter. Learn to throw a Comet or Leopard backhand. Play putter catch with someone, forehand and backhand, between 40 and 100 feet. Or find a less-busy course where you can bring a bunch of discs and throw toward a basket from ~80 to 150 feet, attempting different lines.

Also, disc golf is all about angles. Learn how you can keep you "body angles" good while keeping your "disc angles" good. Getting your body positioned correctly, with smooth and consistent form, will help those disc angles (hyzer, flat, anhyzer; also nose down) correct.

Putting advice: "Throw through the chains, not to the chains"

Driving advice: "Punch the midget" (instead of throwing nose up sky hyzers). Flat, level nosed throws can easily outdrive hard, nose-up drives.