• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

Yea oak grove 1st course in the country.

15 mile radius 4 courses that give you anything you could ever want.

I don't care about Texas chainsaw scenery in the middle of nowhere:)

Oak Grove certainly should be in the discussion.

However, central/northern California is a step up because of Dela and all of the history there. Plus, there is nothing like Stafford Lake in the greater LA area. Coyote Point is a great course, but Stafford is better from my POV. :thmbup:

Norther California. We have such a huge variety of courses here. There is a course for every type of player within 90 minutes from me. Not to mention some of the best courses ever (I.e. dela). I'm definitely bias but that's my vote.

I just keep laughing at you people who say things like

"Oh my local area which is larger than most states and some countries"

You can fall down and land on a great course in Charlotte, no 90 minute drives neccesary.

You can fall down and land on a great course in Charlotte, no 90 minute drives neccesary.

We keep laughing too.

Not all courses here are 90 min apart, obviously. My comment has more to do with variety than anything. There are great courses all over the world no doubt. this thread is based on opinion, let people have theirs.

I can group Charlotte AND Augusta within a 90 minute drive, or slightly more. Does that count for anything?

I laugh at all of this hometown boosterism. Then again, I wouldn't trade where I live for any other location, discgolfwise.

Options

being in Charlotte, it is common to have several choices for good golfing. On most days I can pick...do I want to play on the Southeast side of town with this group, or maybe the North side of town with that group? Or, put together a casual group and play somewhere a little less seen?

Saturdays there are 2 club leagues to choose from. We've got glow league events at Bradley, Reedy, and Elon. There are club-sponsored events 5 days per week during the season: Sunday at Reedy, Monday ladies, Tuesday dubs, Thursday Ams, and Sat pick from the club champ series league or Chuckers. Also Rock Hill is less than an hour away and there are several events there that make good options.

When its raining in one area, I can usually find a course to play where its dry.

Another cool Charlotte fact: each course has its own core group of locals which mix and match between and at other courses - it's like a family tree of Charlotte Disc Golfers here.

So...I think OPTIONS are an important criteria for being defined as Mecca. Not just course options, but people options, weather options, and event options.

I don't know if I'll ever go back to OK. Gross...washing hands isnt optional after going to the bathroom.

Don't piss and chit all over your hands.

DFW is the only so called 'mecca' I have played.
It is nice, but there are too many bad courses. There are only a handful of pro style courses.

I would like to play around Charlotte

Last edited:
I haven't travelled enough to do anything but make the case for my town of Charlotte. If we're doing the 90 min radius, then....

1) I get 72 courses within 75 miles of Charlotte. 27 are 18 holers rated 3.5 or higher.

2) These courses include Winthrop Gold, nuff said, and Renny and Hornet's Nest, 2 of the 3 most played courses on here.

3) If this matters...this radius also includes the largest disc-maker's east coast headquarters.

4) One of 2 places to host pro- and am-worlds together.

Basically, you could spend a week here, play 2-3 rounds/day on different courses each round, and never play less than 18 holes, and never play a course rated below 3.5.

While there's something obviously to be said for the large destination complexes in non-urban centers, I feel like there's a really strong case to be made for Charlotte beyond the fact that I live/grew up here.

Right, I get 95 and 24, yet my nearest 3.5+ 18 holer is an hour away. Mecca definition must be within like 30 min, none of this 90 minute trive BS.

Yeah, let's tweak the "parameters" to make Charlotte the winner! :clap:

I'm sure Charlotte and many, many other places are great. I would love to check these places out sometime. But I am very content with what Sacramento, Bay Area, Sierra Nevadas, etc has to offer.

Year round. :p

If you're going to use "with X miles", look at 42.5 degrees North, 87 degrees West. Over 100 courses within 75 miles! It must be great! That's the place I must visit once in my lifetime!

Latest posts