• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Meccas

This.

If you're ever in Wisconsin, definitely book a weekend stay at Highbridge.

Then after that book a weekend at Sandy Point Resort which is less than an hour away from Highbridge :thmbup:

In Iowa by now I know the children are crying in the land where they let the children cry. And tonight the stars will be out, and don't you know that god is pooh bear?

Fredericksburg, Virginia

Loriella Park- Co-hosted the 2019 USWDG Championship

Cannon Ridge- Most overlooked course I've played on DGCR and I enjoyed it more than Loriella Park.

Curtis Memorial Park- Hanging above a 3.5 with tight lines and elevation in the woods.

Pratt Park- Above a 3.0 last 7 holes tremendous with ravine play including 2 creek fairways.

Blockhouse- about 30 minutes away. Both courses around 4.0. Have not play them, there not letting guest in at this time because of COVID without a member. I've been checking monthly.

Hawk Hollow- about 45 minutes ranked no. 9 on DGCR and also co-hosted 2019 USWDG Championship.

Lake Marshall- The three courses are less than an hour to the east. The lions when it gets it's 21 reviews will likely be ranked no. 1, and the lair top 15.

I've been telling the folks in Atlanta that I would put in a word for the Atlanta area. No 5.0 rated courses but a bevy of 3.0 to 4.0 rated 18 hole courses.

Little Mulberry. 4.06
Central Park. 3.5
Alexander Park. 3.73
East Roswell. 3.69
Wills Park. 3.34
North Landing. 2.80
Legacy Park. 3.4
Sequoyah Park. 3.08
Oregon Park. 3.52
Dupree Park. 2.71
White Oak Park. 3.38
Frog Rock. 3.02
Hunter Memorial Park. 3.05
Dog River. 2.9
Etowah DGC. 3.89
Deerfield Park. 3.38
Suwanee Creek. 2.72
Fort Yargo State Park. 2:86
Sandy Creek Park. 3.81
Mathews Park. 2.92
Perkerson Park. 3.98
Rosewood-DeKalb. 3.58
Boundary Waters Park 1. 3.85
Boundary Waters Park 2. 3.4
McCurry Park. 3.7
The Tracks at McDonough. 4.08
J.P. Mosely. 4.0
Parker's Pasture. 4.07
Lenora Park. 3.17

Stretch it out a little further and you get the wonderful Hobbs Farm (4.65) and North Georgia Canopy Tours (4.26).

I've been telling the folks in Atlanta that I would put in a word for the Atlanta area. No 5.0 rated courses but a bevy of 3.0 to 4.0 rated 18 hole courses.

Little Mulberry. 4.06
Central Park. 3.5
Alexander Park. 3.73
East Roswell. 3.69
Wills Park. 3.34
North Landing. 2.80
Legacy Park. 3.4
Sequoyah Park. 3.08
Oregon Park. 3.52
Dupree Park. 2.71
White Oak Park. 3.38
Frog Rock. 3.02
Hunter Memorial Park. 3.05
Dog River. 2.9
Etowah DGC. 3.89
Deerfield Park. 3.38
Suwanee Creek. 2.72
Fort Yargo State Park. 2:86
Sandy Creek Park. 3.81
Mathews Park. 2.92
Perkerson Park. 3.98
Rosewood-DeKalb. 3.58
Boundary Waters Park 1. 3.85
Boundary Waters Park 2. 3.4
McCurry Park. 3.7
The Tracks at McDonough. 4.08
J.P. Mosely. 4.0
Parker's Pasture. 4.07
Lenora Park. 3.17

While this is impressive, I think it falls short of Dallas-Fort Worth. Since there was no definition given for "Atlanta area", I made my own. DFW has 34 18-hole courses rated 3.0 or higher within 40 miles of the center of the metro area, according to the map on this site. Atlanta has 23 at 3.0 or higher on this list. DFW has 6 courses 4.0 or higher; Atlanta has 4. DFW has 12 course at 3.75 or higher; Atlanta has 8.

Turner Park, 4.08
Veteran's Park, 3.89
Fritz Park, 3.82
Gateway Park West, 3.50
Crossroads of Life, 4.00
North Park, 3.35
Lester Lorch -- Beaver, 4.16
Lester Lorch -- Coyote, 4.25
Arcadia, 3.57
Heritage, 4.04
Jimmy Porter, 3.19
Greenbelt, 3.03
Cedar Valley, 3.50
Trophy Club, 3.95
Bicentennial, 3.65
Bailey Lake, 3.00
Haslet Community Center, 3.08
Tom McCutcheon, 3.81
The Jaranator, 4.28
B.B. Owen, 3.24
Saddle Hills, 3.46
Z-Boaz, 3.98
Bill Allen, 3.78
Paschall, 3.64
Audubon, 3.49
Brown-Singleton, 3.50
Ash Creek, 3.21
Shawnee, 3.17
McCord, 3.36
North Lake -- Lakeside, 3.00
Weatherford, 3.70
Harry Myers, 4.17
Alex Clark, 3.46
Towne Lake, 4.09
The Cedars, 3.07

Some day i hope to make an in-person comparison as close family recently moved to the area. :) I have only played Harry Meyers on that list and it was an on an old RIP'd layout. I was a fantastic course. Similar and comparable to Atlanta's Tyus.
Hobbs is 41 miles, Tyus is 32 miles, NGCT is 60 miles and Flyboy 32 miles from the Atlanta's city center as the crow flies.

i wonder which has worse traffic?

Last edited:
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Lee,

I've played every course in Virginia that was installed before Feb 2021 and in my opinion Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania is the number 1 mecca in Virginia for high quality disc golf courses! I'll even give a shout out to the updated design at Wilderness Presidential Resort.

Bedford/Lynchburg is a close 2nd and hey are the most active spot in VA for installing courses.

I have to give an honorable mention to Williamsburg. The 2 great courses are Waller Mill, which is my favorite course in Virginia, but adding in New Quarter you have a fantastic combination. Plus, Lake Marshall is quite accessible from Williamsburg.

aclay,

You certainly make your point. And I never said that Atlanta is the # 1 Mecca or anything like that. And you have proven that DFW rates ahead of Atlanta. I agree. I'm just saying that after spending a week chasing down courses in Atlanta, it deserves some recognition as a Mecca, probably not the # 1 Big Enchilada Mecca but maybe somewhere is the top 10 Meccas nationwide. More like a big taco enchilada Mecca.

I think if you're talking about the big # 1 Mecca, you'll have to convince those folks in the Raleigh, NC area.

While this is impressive, I think it falls short of Dallas-Fort Worth. Since there was no definition given for "Atlanta area", I made my own. DFW has 34 18-hole courses rated 3.0 or higher within 40 miles of the center of the metro area, according to the map on this site. Atlanta has 23 at 3.0 or higher on this list. DFW has 6 courses 4.0 or higher; Atlanta has 4. DFW has 12 course at 3.75 or higher; Atlanta has 8.

Turner Park, 4.08
Veteran's Park, 3.89
Fritz Park, 3.82
Gateway Park West, 3.50
Crossroads of Life, 4.00
North Park, 3.35
Lester Lorch -- Beaver, 4.16
Lester Lorch -- Coyote, 4.25
Arcadia, 3.57
Heritage, 4.04
Jimmy Porter, 3.19
Greenbelt, 3.03
Cedar Valley, 3.50
Trophy Club, 3.95
Bicentennial, 3.65
Bailey Lake, 3.00
Haslet Community Center, 3.08
Tom McCutcheon, 3.81
The Jaranator, 4.28
B.B. Owen, 3.24
Saddle Hills, 3.46
Z-Boaz, 3.98
Bill Allen, 3.78
Paschall, 3.64
Audubon, 3.49
Brown-Singleton, 3.50
Ash Creek, 3.21
Shawnee, 3.17
McCord, 3.36
North Lake -- Lakeside, 3.00
Weatherford, 3.70
Harry Myers, 4.17
Alex Clark, 3.46
Towne Lake, 4.09
The Cedars, 3.07

Using the same criteria, that random spot in SE Pennsylvania that I mentioned earlier (not far from Camp Sankanac DGC) has within 40 miles:

4 18-hole courses rated 4.5 or higher
14 18-hole courses rated 4.0 or higher (DFW has 6)
18 18-hole courses rated 3.75 or higher (DFW has 12)
28 18-hole courses rated 3.5 or higher (easier to count than 3.75)
48 18-hole courses rated 3.0 or higher (DFW has 34)

Pretty remarkable, actually. Especially considering that DFW has lots of courses that look very fun (and I hope to get out that way one of these days).

FWIW on this type of comparison I usually filter by 3+ reviews or more, which generates somewhat lower but more reliable numbers.

Lee,

I've played every course in Virginia that was installed before Feb 2021 and in my opinion Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania is the number 1 mecca in Virginia for high quality disc golf courses! I'll even give a shout out to the updated design at Wilderness Presidential Resort.

I have to give an honorable mention to Williamsburg. The 2 great courses are Waller Mill, which is my favorite course in Virginia, but adding in New Quarter you have a fantastic combination. Plus, Lake Marshall is quite accessible from Williamsburg.

You may need to move back to Virginia, I've added several new courses since Feb including today, Tadpole Holes in Hampton-Sydney.

I try to visit Waller Mill and New Quarter Monthly, there just an hour away. Waller Mill is ranked #5 on my favorites.

IMO:
In order to be considered for Mecca you need:

• # of quality and safe courses
  • Course capacity that does not dissuade the casual golfer or family from playing
  • Friendly and welcoming DG community
  • Ability to move from course to course freely without traffic issues
  • Easy access to mass transportation hubs that allow easy visitation from other areas
  • Large and active centralized club. A "club" per course doesn't promote continuity
  • Weather
  • History of hosting events
  • Various styles of local leagues
  • Multiple PDGA offerings
  • Hosting of majors for local disc golfer entertainment
  • DG Store - Large DG solo or large selection of disc and accessory
  • Park and Recreation involvement

Charlotte
  • 18 or so above average courses just in the county, hundreds within 100 miles.
  • Course capacity is not an issue most of the year
  • Strong ties with neighboring clubs including support, building and design of courses
  • Nearly 700 members that sign up and pay annually (not pay once and member for life)
  • 85,77,RT 40, 74 are major vehicle transportation roads, Amtrak hub, Charlotte Douglas is a Hub, roads are generally easy to traverse even during rush hour. Longest commute between courses is about 40 minutes
  • Leagues and Events
  • Putting league, womens league, multiple handicap leagues, multiple glow leagues, weekly singles and doubles leagues traveling, point series leagues
  • Events 15-20 Charity X-Tier events per year
  • PDGA event nearly every weekend and sometimes multiple on the same day including Woment's global events
  • A-Tiers (Charlotte Amateur Championship, Carolina Clash, ETC)
  • 4 World Championships, 3x DGPT Championship, 20 miles from USDGC
  • Host of the largest (non worlds) youth event
  • Pro's moving to the area or living here: Jerm, Uli, MJ, Stan McDaniel(HOF), Ricky'ish, K.Jones, Holly F., Grady&Paige Shu, Cam Todd'ish, etc Past Am World Champions: Jerm, David French, A.J. etc and other divisional winners.

You may need to move back to Virginia, I've added several new courses since Feb including today, Tadpole Holes in Hampton-Sydney.

Are all the tees complete at Hampden Sydney? It is going to be a nice little course. Also the Fishin' Pig is excellent.

IMO:

• Course capacity that does not dissuade the casual golfer or family from playing
  • Easy access to mass transportation hubs that allow easy visitation from other areas
  • Large and active centralized club. A "club" per course doesn't promote continuity
  • Weather

Charlotte

[/LIST]
Also, can play pretty much year round.

IMO:

• Weather

Strongly disagree with the traffic requirement, you've eliminated every large city and any small city near a major highway. For instant, I could argue that given how close Charlotte is to highway 85 that it does not meet this requirement. That at worlds event in 2018 a start round had to be pushed back due to a major accident on route 77. To me that seems like a silly slight against all of the work and effort that make the club in Charlotte great.

Weather is another, this is outside human control. While it can be a benefit I would not hold it against a city.

In the end I wouldn't believe any argument that didn't have Charlotte at a minimum in the top 3 if not #1.

IMO:

. . .

Charlotte

Charlotte is obviously a fabulous place to play disc golf, and most people acknowledge that.

I am just waiting for someone from Charlotte to acknowledge that ANYWHERE ELSE can also be a fabulous place to play disc golf. ;)

For the record - I have only played one course near Charlotte so far (Bradford Park, under suboptimal conditions), but I hope to explore the many fine courses in the area before long. :)

Latest posts