• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Meccas

Strongly disagree with the traffic requirement, you've eliminated every large city and any small city near a major highway. For instant, I could argue that given how close Charlotte is to highway 85 that it does not meet this requirement. That at worlds event in 2018 a start round had to be pushed back due to a major accident on route 77. To me that seems like a silly slight against all of the work and effort that make the club in Charlotte great.

Weather is another, this is outside human control. While it can be a benefit I would not hold it against a city.

In the end I wouldn't believe any argument that didn't have Charlotte at a minimum in the top 3 if not #1.

I tend to agree on the traffic thing, less so on the weather. If nothing else Charlotte is certainly a hub/mecca/whatever for a greater percentage of the year for me (I prefer hot weather to cold) than somewhere like the Twin Cities. They are both more general quality of life issues than disc golf issues though. I could live in Charlotte's climate, not St Paul's. I can live with Spotsy's traffic but not NOVA's.

Also agree that Charlotte is one of the (if not the only) legit contenders for the crown.

If a "Mecca" is a shrine everyone should visit once in their life, does climate matter? You could just the Twin Cities in June or Charlotte in October or Orlando in February.

As a place for a disc golfer to live, absolutely, but as a Mecca?

If a "Mecca" is a shrine everyone should visit once in their life, does climate matter? You could just the Twin Cities in June or Charlotte in October or Orlando in February.

As a place for a disc golfer to live, absolutely, but as a Mecca?

I'm not that literal minded. :)

If we are talking once in a lifetime visits I don't know that Charlotte would be among my top picks. They have more very good courses than anywhere else by a long shot but no awe inspiring flat out great ones. I would much prefer to spend a disc golf weekend in Pittsburgh to Charlotte but would much rather spend a disc golf life in Charlotte.

Sadly, I am that literal-minded.

I distinguish between places as disc golf Meccas, homes, or maybe hubs. (Not sure what hubs are, that are different from the other two. Maybe a place for an extended visit?)

As a disc golf home -- best place to live, based on disc golf criteria alone -- Charlotte's got to be near the top. As a Mecca? Maybe, if playing a lot of different, really good courses is your idea of a don't-miss-it destination.

These conversations were a lot easier 15 years ago. Not nearly as many contenders.

Strongly disagree with the traffic requirement, you've eliminated every large city and any small city near a major highway. For instant, I could argue that given how close Charlotte is to highway 85 that it does not meet this requirement. That at worlds event in 2018 a start round had to be pushed back due to a major accident on route 77. To me that seems like a silly slight against all of the work and effort that make the club in Charlotte great.

Weather is another, this is outside human control. While it can be a benefit I would not hold it against a city.

In the end I wouldn't believe any argument that didn't have Charlotte at a minimum in the top 3 if not #1.

I've lived around or spent lots of time around DC, Philly, NYC, Boston and towns like Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, etc. I've visited almost every major city in the US except San Francisco. Every city thinks they have the worst traffic. The difference is how much land the major arteries have to let out and the sprawl of the city center. The traffic around Charlotte can have problems but with an inner and outer loop and other roads, there are always ways around. A bridge out or accident, obviously is random and shouldnt be counted. Charlotte traffic is average for its size and most courses are on the outskirts. Traffic to them comes from outside in and generally if you live in an area you have 4-5 easy to access choices AND when we run big events we can have divisions stay in small regions. I've played worlds with 1-1.5 hrs )in good traffic) between courses.

By weather I mean - If climate shuts off play for 4 months except for only the hardiest(or craziest players) it shouldn't be considered. Charlotte has temperate weather, generally between 30 and 90 on most days. Any extreme cold extends for a few days at most. Hot weather, can be problematic in some areas but those are our busiest months and the time we ran 4 worlds so, I don't think it is extreme.

I'm not that literal minded. :)

If we are talking once in a lifetime visits I don't know that Charlotte would be among my top picks. They have more very good courses than anywhere else by a long shot but no awe inspiring flat out great ones. I would much prefer to spend a disc golf weekend in Pittsburgh to Charlotte but would much rather spend a disc golf life in Charlotte.

Correct, that's exactly what I say. We don't have any of the best courses but might have the best number from average to better than average with no terrible ones.
This is me personally, the "best courses" when I have played them I say, neat, but I wouldn't want to play this more than a few times a year. Charlotte has enough courses anyone can find 10-15 they would play 40 times each year if you could.

twin cities you (can) play all year around

you acclimate to the climate

however aint no way in hell im playing yalls 100 degree day just like yall wont play my 0 degree days

Well.....

I have no issues with the zero degree days. I just don't find disc golf enjoyable in the snow. I prefer doing any number of other actual winter activities.

I'd rather play Charlotte in 100 degree heat than disc in the snow.

Also. I don't think any of those southern folk are ever going to "acclimate" to our weather. Although, it's hilarious watching them try lol. My son goes to school with a kid whose family is from Texas. Been here a few years. I see the kids dad at pickups sometimes. Can't miss him.....nothing like seeing a dude walk around in a snowsuit when it's 40, while I'm walking round in shorts and a hoodie.

Surprised you haven't been kicked out of Wisconsin yet. :D

Also. I don't think any of those southern folk are ever going to "acclimate" to our weather. . . .

Heh. I met a lot of Californians when I was playing water polo. Surprisingly, most eventually adapted to winter (granted, MD is milder than WI). If Californians couldn't hack mid-Atlantic weather, it was usually the hot, humid summers that drove them away.

You can always put on more layers, but in most jobs there are limits on how much you can take off . . .

Surprised you haven't been kicked out of Wisconsin yet. :D

It has nothing to do with not liking the cold. I love Wisconsin winters. I'd just rather do actual winter stuff than try to pigeonhole my summer hobby into the winter. I'd rather ice fish, snowshoe, take the kids sledding, stuff like that than hunt for discs under the snow.

Also, can play pretty much year round.

"Personal foul. Piling on. 15 yards from the spot of the infraction."

*flips Huey the bird* :p

Also. I don't think any of those southern folk are ever going to "acclimate" to our weather. Although, it's hilarious watching them try lol. My son goes to school with a kid whose family is from Texas. Been here a few years. I see the kids dad at pickups sometimes. Can't miss him.....nothing like seeing a dude walk around in a snowsuit when it's 40, while I'm walking round in shorts and a hoodie.

Not true. Born and raised in Miami and lived in So Fla for 30 years.Took me a while, but I've learned to embrace winter golf.

Last edited:
Hate this question but I can't help but throw in -

I just hit 150 courses, the farthest west was Colorado. I live in Dallas but learned the game in South Carolina about 1/2way between Charlotte and Atlanta so I've played a ton of those courses (prior to 2014).

If we give an hour drive radius to each city, I'd go
1. Charlotte
2. Denver
3. Atlanta
4. Dallas (sorry, but the courses here are def overrated)

Are all the tees complete at Hampden Sydney? It is going to be a nice little course. Also the Fishin' Pig is excellent.

Only the short tees, long tees still natural. I saw a pile of turf just off of the 5th green, so maybe the longs will be installed soon? The turf tees are outstanding, very even and not lumpy. The smurf blue is a very good idea for the turf, easy to spot playing there for the first time.

Yes, a very nice course! I'm partial to woods golf, and found from the 1st tee to the 18th basket very enjoyable! The course should be doable for anybody that plays there.

I've played several of your course design's. I enjoy them, and I've had no luck in finding a list of your course's. Is it possible to find a list?

Last edited:
Well.....

I have no issues with the zero degree days. I just don't find disc golf enjoyable in the snow. I prefer doing any number of other actual winter activities.

Best of both worlds, I moved from Western/Central NY, to NC. Now I can play disc golf when we have a snow day for "cold" err...25 degree weather.

"Personal foul. Piling on. 15 yards from the spot of the infraction."

*flips Huey the bird* :p

Not true. Born and raised in Miami and lived in So Fla for 30 years.Took me a while, but I've learned to embrace winter golf.

Hey I trek up and walk your stupid hills in June every once in a while.

I'm from Charlotte and I acknowledge that many other cities also have great disc golf courses and clubs so they qualify as hubs.

Raptors Roost is on my sonar,
I wonder how many people caught that submariner reference?

Since I went to the Wee Dolphin Nursery School in New London CT I guess submarines are in my DNA.