• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which one would you rather have: power or putting?

I'ma have to say power. I max out a little over 300 maybe on my best day (6 foot 135lb). Also, I feel like my putting has improved a lot quicker than my drives.. might have something to do with the basket in my backyard.

I'm a pretty decent putter, but I've only thrown over 300' once, so gimme some power!

I'd much rather be able to make a putt from 40ft out than to be able to drive 400+. Right now I'm lucky to make it 300ft off the drive and my confidence circle for putts is only 15ft out right now. If I could get my putting on track and hit the big putts all the time I would care less about my driving as long as it was in the middle of the fairway :)

Putting definitely. No point in driving a 500' hole and two putting when everyone else can throw two 250' drives and putt only once.

putting for sure. ive increased my driving exponentially in the part year, and even though its not pro level power, my putting is definitely the thing i would like to be pro level at. if i could sink everything inside the circle everytime, that would be clutch

Does the power come with pro control also? If so, I'll take that. I can practice putting in the yard (which isn't big enough to practice driving)

Actually, can I choose option C and get consistency?

If I could play my game, but only make good drives at my level, and good putts at my level, and no bad ones, I think that would be so much more useful

(For those wondering, that would put me at about 380' driving, and 25' putting)

The irony of this is I spend so much time talking driving technique, distance, discs...blah blah blah, when it comes down to it what I need the most is a freaking consistent putt!

Putting goes a long way if you can putt long and short. It doesn't matter if you can get close to the basket and then can't putt. It means that you have to have good putting to have a lower score and all better game.

I would take perfect putting. And I'd specify that that would entail any shot with a using a putter, inside of 80', from any angle, from behind any obstacle, whether I could even see the basket or not.
:thmbup:
Over the pine tree, off the back tree trunk, through the bird's nest, nothin' but chains. BOOM.
:popcorn:

wait.
I've seen Aladdin...
I'd use the wish to FREE the DG Genie, such that he will forever be my friend, and guide all my shots true. And be my caddie. And conjur cold frosty drinks.
BOOYAH.

Yes, Putting. See the thread mentioned here and pretty much every other thread where this is discussed.

(Theoretically) 250' drive + 30' range= 2 on any hole shorter than 280', 3 on any hole shorter than 530', 4 on any hole shorter than 780', 5 for 1030'.

350' drive with less accuracy and 2 putts per hole (on average). 3 on 380' or less, 4 on a hole 730' or less, 5 on 1080' or less.

So the crossover point where driving is more important than putting (on this comparison) is at about 905'. And we all know that there are very few holes longer than that. Even on the longest courses in the world, there are (at a max) 6 holes that long. Mathematically, it is better to putt consistently. And it's a game of math.

Thanks again for that great information here and in the other thread. Really changed the way I approach the game and what I'm trying to improve at.