• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who listens to Music while throwing?

If I am alone, I rock earbuds. If I am with a group, I like to hear what people have to say. Never understood what would compel somebody to even carry a speaker while discing, I mean, who are you trying to impress? It especially makes me laugh when someone is blasting music designed for bass-heavy audio setups through tinny treble-heavy portaspeakers. Just sounds like booty to me.

I listen to all kinds of music while I play. Favorite sounds include: birds, insects, squirrels, leaves rustling in trees, flowing creek water, and my personal favorite, chains smashing together.

I like to hear my surroundings while outdoors. With disc golf in particular, it's helpful to hear what happens to your disc after you lose sight of it.

Did it hit a tree? Did it go into some brush? Did I hear it hit the ground, or will I need to look up? Did it hit chains (hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting for it!)?

I have tried listening to earbuds while playing, it definitely helped distract me from over thinking throws, but overall I like the sound of the woods better. Still use earbuds in busier park courses if it's crowded.

I have used a portable speaker as well, but turned it off after a few holes. I just didn't find it that enjoyable on the course. It's fine for putting practice though.

this bot.

I bought the waterproof, Sony sport mp3 player a few months back and love it.

Sleeping and playing disc golf are about the only times that I am not listening to music.

Yeah this is me, just add running to the list. I use my solo rounds as a way to get away from everything else.

Plus, I can't stand to wear earbuds for more than a few minutes and I think my big headphones wouldn't stay on my head during most shots.

I only wear ear buds on open courses that are rarely played by others. I don't like the idea of not hearing someone coming up behind me. When no one else is on the course, I find it relaxing and generally better for my game. Would never do it with a group though.

I listen to music pretty much everywhere EXCEPT for the course. It's a nice escape into the sounds of nature.

I throw better with music than without it....I carry a portable speaker and mp3 player...I keep the volume low enough, so that other groups can not hear it, (outside of 30 feet or so) and turn it off completely when approaching others, whether they are discers or not. Everyone's taste in music is different, so I do NOT assume others like my music, other than the guys I throw with, who I've known for close to 40 years.

I will not use earbuds, because I want to hear what is going on around me. I will not bring my music to a tournament setting, for the reasons mentioned above. Casual rounds only.

On my home course there is a pavilion at Hole 1, and generally a group having a gathering of some sort, and usually REALLY LOUD music playing (especially on the weekends). Sometimes their taste in music does not coincide with mine....I like the Reggae, but hate the Techno Dance stuff....the only holes on the course you don't hear the "pavilion" music, are holes 12 thru 16 which are on the opposite side of the park. When I have MY music with me, I focus better and it helps to override the "pavilion" music.

Out of my last 5 casual rounds, 4 of them we listened to music, 1 we did not. I shot -2, even, +5, -2, and -1. Is it a coincidence my +5 was the round we did not listen to music?
Maybe !! Maybe Not!!

I can't stand wearing earbuds while I throw, but maybe a wireless set wouldn't bother me as much. I almost always have a small BT speaker with me at a pretty low volume during casual rounds, essentially background music, and I really don't mind if another person/group passes by with their own tunes. I would rather it not be super loud or obnoxious, but we are out here throwing frisbees in a park, after all. Tournament setting is obviously a different story.

...Never understood what would compel somebody to even carry a speaker while discing, I mean, who are you trying to impress?

What makes you think some random gives two shiznits if strangers are impressed?

I've tried my headphones a few times and hated not hearing what is around. when I'm solo i use a bluetooth speaker at a relatively low volume. when i get up to other groups i usually pause it til I'm clear.

most times i prefer no music. but there are times when life is too busy to listen to entire albums and the course provides me this time.

I will if Im in the field. If Im on the course, I just soak in all the sights and sounds. One of my local parks is a freaking wooded oasis in the middle of town right next to the zoo so its fun to walk it.

I wear earbuds pretty much every time I play and I also use them in tournaments. The only time I don't is if I'm visiting a nice scenic wooded course for the first time. A lil' Grateful Dead has helped me get through some tourney rounds in bad weather, conditions, etc. :thmbup:

Most of my buddies like to play music while we play and I don't generally complain. However, I have problems with my hearing, specifically I can't hear clearly when there is sound coming from more than one source. So if someone is trying to talk to me and there is music playing, I can hear that they are speaking but can't understand the words. So i would prefer no music on the course so I could listen to where the discs end up and perhaps even a conversation with my buddies that does not include me always saying "what was that you said?".

I also find it more enjoyable to listen to the sounds of nature when we are at a secluded course.

I blast my tunes. Maybe turn it down a little if I see other people, but usually it is close to max volume. Deal with it.

I'm on the BT speaker wagon. Just recently picked one up and love it for golfing. I try to be considerate of other players on the course, and generally don't use it if i'm playing in a group, but while playing solo I jam out! Really helps to keep my mind clear, and helps me keep calm

Train how you fight. Music is not allowed in tourneys, so...
Also, like to be able to hear chuckleheads behind me, who are about to act like freshmen at their first kegger & throw up on me.

Train how you fight. Music is not allowed in tourneys, so...
Also, like to be able to hear chuckleheads behind me, who are about to act like freshmen at their first kegger & throw up on me.

To be clear, it is audible sound that is not allowed in tournaments (speakers, phone ringers, etc). Listening to music is allowed, but it has to be through headphones at a volume that can't be heard by others and doesn't prevent the player from hearing outside noises (conversation, warnings, etc).