• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who of you walks to your local course?

ReedyCreekProduct

Birdie Member
I posed this question a few months back in a more complicated way.

I thought I'd try it again in a simpler, more straightforward fashion.

City?
Neighborhood?
Course name?
Your opinion of the course?
Safety of the walk?

Thanks!

why would you want to know this ? what does it matter ? I was at reedy last year. nice course. renny gold is one of the best ever. Its a shame that bracketts bluff is no longer.

I can't take two steps outside without getting raped and mugged. I haven't left my house in 3 weeks.

Please send help.

Does my backyard count??

Closest local course to me is about 10 miles.

so no i do not walk.

I can walk to Frontier but it's such a totally useless POS b/c of innocent bystanders that I'd rather drive elsewhere.

If/when the city of Gastonia ever finishes a greenway project, I'll ride my bike to Rankin. Right now there's no decent way to get there on a bike without risking life and limb crossing Hwy. 321. If they ever get the greenway done it'll be a snap.

I walk to mine. Its called Isla Vista Peace Course and its in, you guessed it, Isla vista which is in Goleta, just north of Santa Barbara. Its a 9 hole course with no real long holes at all, but its still a really good time. And since its a 3 minute walk, my roomate and I can't help but play it almost everyday. There is an 18 hole course about a 5 minute drive away that we go to pretty regularly also.

I walk to one course sometimes if I am going out alone. I don't do it very often, because I never know who might need some extra discs.

Arcadia Park No. 2 - Fort Worth, TX USA

It is nice having it just 3 blocks from the house.

Im only about 2 miles from my local 18 hole course. But im lazy so I drive.

In my case, it would take longer to walk to the course (one way) than to play it.

I only live 2 miles from the closest 18-hole course. Not only would it be time-consuming to walk there, but dangerous. With all the eh-holes running red lights and driving like total jerks, I'd end up mashed into somebody's grille and splattered all over the highway. No thanks.

I only live 2 miles from the closest 18-hole course. Not only would it be time-consuming to walk there, but dangerous. With all the eh-holes running red lights and driving like total jerks, I'd end up mashed into somebody's grille and splattered all over the highway. No thanks.

dude, its so worth it to go disc golfing though....

Last summer and fall I biked to and from Uw Parkside a good amount of times and definitly will again. I would at least play two 18 hole rounds and then bike back. According to google maps it's 3.8 miles.

Last edited:
The first tee at Kenwood is a 5 minute walk through the woods from my front door, or I can start at #9 in 3 minutes. :D

I live about a mile away from campus so I ride my bike to West Georgia if it's just me playing. Walking was the norm when I lived on campus, but because we usually have a group I've been driving more often. In Chattanooga I live about a half mile from Jack Mattox. I should walk every single time I play, but this is America man! We drive 5 times around the parking lot to get closer to the door.

why would you want to know this ? what does it matter ? I was at reedy last year. nice course. renny gold is one of the best ever. Its a shame that bracketts bluff is no longer.

It matters, for one small reason, because I have a job that would allow me to transfer to many other states. And the next place I live, I would like to be able to walk to a nice DG course--safely. So I want to hear about good Disc Golf courses where this is possible.

I prefer not to use a car on my days off from work. So I have an interest in walkable communities. And if these communities include good, solid Disc Golf--sweet! That would be the life! I wanna hear about it.

The closest I ever came to this ideal was being able to walk 10 minutes to a local school's football field. I used to amble out there and sling some discs for a few hours at a time. I currently don't have that option and I definitely miss it.

-----------------

Yes, Reedy was my first love in Disc Golf courses. It definitely shaped my skills and my personal view of the sport. Unfortunately I never saw Brackett's Bluff.

I walk to mine. Its called Isla Vista Peace Course and its in, you guessed it, Isla vista which is in Goleta, just north of Santa Barbara. Its a 9 hole course with no real long holes at all, but its still a really good time. And since its a 3 minute walk, my roomate and I can't help but play it almost everyday. There is an 18 hole course about a 5 minute drive away that we go to pretty regularly also.

Good stuff. I definitely would play more if I could walk to the course. Right now the closest course is about a 15-minute drive. The closest GOOD one is 20-25 minutes. But I guess some folks have it far worse.

If/when the city of Gastonia ever finishes a greenway project, I'll ride my bike to Rankin. Right now there's no decent way to get there on a bike without risking life and limb crossing Hwy. 321. If they ever get the greenway done it'll be a snap.

Man, I hope that happens for you and the rest of the city. Sounds like it would be a great situation.

And would the completion of the greenway help sell a few more bicycles?

When I lived in Orlando, Fl, I could walk to the Turkey Lake courses. It was less than a mile if I walked or 300 yds across the lake from my condo. I wouldn't swim across, there are huge gators in that lake. The park sports (2) 18 hole courses. Both are really good, challenging courses. The neighborhood is excellent and safe