• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are cones not the official target of the pdga?

This also begs the question... Why isn't there ANY official target of the PDGA? Get really tired of the variance in baskets from course to course and tourney to tourney. Cones, different chain configs, tone poles, pick something and stick to it!

Last edited:
There are over 18 Championship Approved targets now - one for each hole if someone wanted to build a course that way.

I understand the difference between cost of a tonal pole (spell that correctly?) and a basket is a huge cost. Also, I believe it's good to have multiple manufacturers of baskets so there isn't one company holding down a monopoly on them.

Besides the only baskets I hate are the innova baskets with the obnoxious yellow bogie band. At least discraft did one thing right with their baskets.

Last edited:
This also begs the question... Why isn't there ANY official target of the PDGA? Get really tired of the variance in baskets from course to course and tourney to tourney. Cones, different chain configs, tone poles, pick something and stick to it!

Glad there isn't an official target ,yet. I love different hole out devices including tones, hula hoops, holes in the ground, home made baskets, trees, etc. etc.

The game should stay unique, fun and creative

I understand the difference between cost of a tonal pole (spell that correctly?) and a basket is a huge cost. Also, I believe it's good to have multiple manufacturers pf baskets so there isn't one company holding down a monopoly on them.

Besides the only baskets I hate are the innova baskets with the obnoxious yellow bogie band. At least discraft did one thing right with their baskets.

that bogie band gave me some bad scores...and some nasty gashes in both my putters

That would be an interesting touch to have one type of basket/object per hole on a course.

I haven't had the opportunity to play on cones, so I can't intelligently comment on the OP. That said, I would love to give them a try.

Are the only examples still in use around the Twin Cities, or are there other cone courses out there?

There are over 18 Championship Approved targets now - one for each hole if someone wanted to build a course that way.

Chuck, you're a genius. This wouldn't necessarily be cost effective, but I love the idea.

I haven't had the opportunity to play on cones, so I can't intelligently comment on the OP. That said, I would love to give them a try.

Are the only examples still in use around the Twin Cities, or are there other cone courses out there?

I just played Moir Park in the TC this weekend. Super short course, but the cones are in good shape. My first time playing them, and I had to say, I kind of enjoyed it. It would make putting 200% more difficult, for sure.

Glad there isn't an official target ,yet. I love different hole out devices including tones, hula hoops, holes in the ground, home made baskets, trees, etc. etc.

Agreed.

My guess would be because it is damn hard to break a chain basket. But if it did happen, it's all a cheap fix. Oxbow DGC in Windsor, CO has had some basket issues since the flood last year, but it's all good now... except people keep stealing the chains on a few baskets. But my uncle brought some with him and installed them. But if one of those cones gets busted, it will just... be busted until it is replaced.

If you're talking about his middle finger that is curled looking, it's amputated

Damn, I hate when this happens.

One of my friends asked a waiter at a Pho restaurant why he was limping. They guy smirked and said "I lost it from a landmine in Cambodia."

Oh yeah now that I think of it, does anyone want to sell me a few cones for a reasonable price? I have alot of good stuff to trade and paypal! I am sure Craig639 would take a few for himself as well :)

That's why ball golf is on the backslide. They should have holes of different sizes and shapes on each green...