• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have seen some people do this, and I know the rules that you can't do it inside of 30m, but why do it at all? I don't see a reason for it.

It's 10m not 30 but many peole do it to extend the putting range because they feel like they will be more accurate using a putting vs a throwing motion.

What is difficult to understand about it?

A putting motion gets you to X range.

A jump putting motion can extend X by 30', if not more, while being more accurate and less prone to skips than a throwing motion.

I don't jump putt, I use the Fedberg/Nikko tactic of following through with a step, i.e. "Chasing The Disc Down". It works sometimes, but certainly not always. Most people who do a true jump putt miss....even the pros.

I don't jump putt, I use the Fedberg/Nikko tactic of following through with a step, i.e. "Chasing The Disc Down". It works sometimes, but certainly not always. Most people who do a true jump putt miss....even the pros.

*shrug* I don't know anyone who consistently drains 75' putts, step through, jump or standstill. Just sayin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZWTGSy_EC4#t=0m44s

Jumping helps me most at 80- 130 feet. If I throw it at 100-130 i feel ill throw long or shank more frequently then if I just jump putt it under the basket.

I jump putt from 35'-90' and have found it much easier to hit lines and a higher % of shots made. Once I dialed in my form I probably cut 3-4 strokes from my average score.

I go through phases where i jump putt or not. If i dont have a lot of height i will walk putt. I think spinning it more is more accurate but that is just personal preference.

I do more of a step putt. It gives me about the same chance of going in as an approach shot, but it also always lands flat and is really consistent about just dropping by the basket for an easy drop in if I miss where a throw is more likely to skip/roll away.

I also do the step throug put rather than jumping.

It's to get more power behind your putts. Captain obvious out.

The theory is simple and actually comes from ball golf.

If you can putt, do it. You have more control with a putt and are more likely to get the ball or in this case the disc closer to the hole or basket.

The jump putt allows one to increase the range of the putt.

I can make any shot from any distance with a simple backhand as often or more often than anyone that does the illegal but never called jump putt.
It looks like cheating to outsiders and also makes the sport look more gimmicky.
It should be outlawed but never will.
:)

wow, hatred for the jump putt/ step through putt. I love the argument about "outsiders make it look gimmicky" they don't give a crap. They think the whole concept of throwing frisbees at metal baskets is gimmicky in and of itself, so who cares about their viwe of a simple rule when the whole sport is seen as gimmicky to them.

I step through more than jump putt. I can do my 100% normal putting motion out to 40', and then by stepping through with my momentum, i can throw the same shot about 75'. Accurate, safe, smart.

The theory is simple and actually comes from ball golf.

If you can putt, do it. You have more control with a putt and are more likely to get the ball or in this case the disc closer to the hole or basket.

The jump putt allows one to increase the range of the putt.

These is jump putting in ball golf? :confused:

Latest posts