• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do you have understable discs in your bag?

One of my local courses requires an understable disc, from the Tee Pad you can't throw forehand and the hole is a wooded must go right disc. I use the an Express in Elite X on this hole, only Express that has right turn to it for this hole. I also have use That Express on other courses when you must go right on the hole and you can't throw forehand.

One of my local courses requires an understable disc, from the Tee Pad you can't throw forehand and the hole is a wooded must go right disc. I use the an Express in Elite X on this hole, only Express that has right turn to it for this hole. I also have use That Express on other courses when you must go right on the hole and you can't throw forehand.

Why cant you throw fh? Or do you mean YOU cant throw fh?

On that hole most can't throw Forehand, trees, bushes, etc get in the way. My dad can on this hole, as that was his initial type of throw and even putted at one point forehand with a Hard Wizard. He has since learned how to throw back hand. I think it was that he had to throw forhand as all Wham-O Frisbee's and other brand discs were understable Until he threw Disc Golf Discs in 2004. I had played catch an ultimate with him as a younger kid but I had not seen anybody except him throw exclusively forehand. My dad used those as his first disc an even older disc but a knock off version of the saucer disc, that the originals were made by the guy who went on to Wham-O and make the original.
Flyin_Saucer_Disc_1948.png
Though this is the original model my dad had the mid 1960's version that was different and made cheep by some company, all after originals were knock offs after the guy who made the original went to work for Wham-O and stopped making these original toys. Somebody was still making a version of this disc in the 1990's though I used a knock off of the Wham-O Fastback, a promotional toy that was like a Wham-O Fast back as my first disc but then would play with my dad with his 1980's black with red shiny lettering 172 gram World Class Frisbee in the 1990's I have a junior 130 gram one I bought in 2001 but that one might be gone as I did use it along with my 2000 pre DuPont Rubber Putter as one of my original discs to play Disc Golf with. My mom has the Old Rubber Putter she uses it as an Approach disc.

Last edited:
When the aliens finally get hold of disc golf world tour video from this era, they will assume that all the humans' frisbees were over stable because of they will see mostly hyzerfesting. They will have no way to know that the normal humans that were not recorded had understable plastic to help them throw further and shape certain shots. The aliens will figure it out for themselves once they start producing their own discs, just like many humans have had to do.

My reasons to carry understable discs.

- Low power throwers can throw farther.
- Some left to right lines don't work as well for forehand were you get hard skip right, or for a flex shot where it will be fading back to the left.
- Tunnel shots are often best for hyzer flip lines with understable discs.
- Even if it isn't a tunnel, sometimes you want a low power shot to stay straight or turn a bit, instead of fade hard. Understable Mid.
- Long shots with a tailwind (tailwind makes a disc more stable).
- High elevation makes discs more stable.

Watch Michael Johansen sometime and you can see the amazing lines you can get with a Comet or Mantis.

They have a down side as well:

- Flip hard in the wind.
- Harder to control the line - sometimes flips too much, sometimes stables out too early. (at least for me).

My reasons to carry understable discs.

- Low power throwers can throw farther.
- Some left to right lines don't work as well for forehand were you get hard skip right, or for a flex shot where it will be fading back to the left.
- Tunnel shots are often best for hyzer flip lines with understable discs.
- Even if it isn't a tunnel, sometimes you want a low power shot to stay straight or turn a bit, instead of fade hard. Understable Mid.
- Long shots with a tailwind (tailwind makes a disc more stable).
- High elevation makes discs more stable.

All of this. Add sky annies, rollers that finish right (RHBH), and playing your 12th 18 of the weekend.

rollers that finish right (RHBH)

this is a really important one for me and other people who can't blast a sidearm 300'+. I roll with a mongoose on a lot of holes where players with more power will throw a sidearm.

I bag a beat McPro Aviar, beat Nova, beat Champ Mako3, beat Fusion Truth, and a beat star Wraith for my more US discs. I play a lot of wooded courses so being able to throw straight a long ways is absolutely necessary. Being more US, I am able to either hyzerflip them, or power down and get an extremely straight flight. If you have good form, you'll quickly understand the beauty of an understable disc. I'm lucky and one of the our local course pros played a round with me with a really beat up Roc and was throwing the most amazing hyzer flip-to flat shots I've ever seen; I was sold after that.

Because hyzerflip to slow turnover is the prettiest shot in disc golf.

Because turnover backhand lines are different than overstable forehand lines.

Because leopards are cool.

Because I just won't take these beat to hell aviars and rocs out of my bag. I know too well how they fly and they do many, many things stable discs won't do.

Because on the east coast spike thumpers with an understable disc are a thing that will shave strokes.

Because thumbers and turnovers, the avenger ss had been a workhorse in my bag for about 2 years now, its really flippy once you beat it in.

Once you learn how and why you need to throw understand discs on hyzer shots, the game gets a lot easier.

I'm a noob (only been playing for about 2 months), so it's a lot easier for me to get a straight shot out of something understable. Right now my understable plastic is: Lucid Renegade, 2x Heats (one Z, one Big Z), Leopard3, Opto Jade, Opto/GL River, Lucid Warrant, and Comet. The Heats are my go-to drivers right now, and my Rivers are my go-to discs for longer midrange shots (for shorter midrange shots I go to a Buzzz for straight shots, and the Warrant or Comet if I want a little turnover).

The Lat 64 Fuse (understable mid) is my most-used disc other than my putter. I had my best score with a -7 at my local course yesterday with 8 birdies. 6 of those birdies I used the Fuse either off of the tee or as my approach shot on Par 4's. Since I don't have much of a forehand, it's an absolute must to have both understable drivers and mids.

I like competing at my highest and, of course, I like winning.

See MTL's comments earlier. (Go Robert!)