• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why I Play...

General Scales

Double Eagle Member
So I remember last year when I was working I was asked why I play disc golf so much. I remember writing up this semi-coherent rant/essay for this person to read but I never let them read it. So I figure it's time to post it here and see if any of my sentiments ring true for you guys. It's a little bit of a read.

So you all know why you play this game. We all play it for some of the same reasons. Some of our reasons will vary from person to person. The important ones, however, stay universal throughout this wonderful community.

I started playing to escape the confines of a terrible relationship. I started playing because the thought of being home more than I had to was a terrifying and horrible idea. It was a way to escape out into the real world, hang out with my friends and drink some beers. It was a way for me to rekindle some lost friendships with people that I lost touch with during my 3 year trek of patience and futility. As it turned out, I was pretty good at it.

I still remember to this day the first discs that I was ever given to throw. A max weight DX Viper and a max weight Pro-D Challenger (Cam Todd edition and I wish I still had it). These two discs started a trend that I had to work very hard to break later in my disc golf life. These discs taught me what I thought was proper technique. Reality was, they were only flying the way they did because I didn't know you didn't have to throw as hard as possible. This resulted in constant disappointment and shoulder injury. Yet still I played like I was possessed by these objects.

I kept playing that summer even though I didn't always have a good time (sometimes it wasn't even a mediocre time). I kept playing because the sound that disc makes when it finally accomplishes it's final goal. I kept playing because for some reason, all that frustration I was having at home melted away as soon as my feet hit the hollowed grounds of Downriver or Highbridge.

Into my first 3 months, I broke up with the women who given a different set of circumstances, would of proudly been my wife. As soon as our relationship ended, I had nothing. I didn't want to see anybody or go anywhere. Anywhere except the disc golf course that is. I would immediately remember that all pain and agony were subjective and really didn't matter when there was a disc in the air. All of that would come back to me as soon as I was in the car on the way back to my house. I was miserable and the only cure I had for it was hucking plastic with my friends at metal objects in the middle of a forest.

After about 6 months of playing (3 months after the breakup) I started to develop what I call the itch. All of us diehard disc golfers know what that itch is. I would be at work, walking down countless rows of boxes and sheet metal. I would look over and see a perfect hyzer line between the racks and hundreds of thousands of dollars of sheet metal. I would be driving down the road and look at a small strip of land and think "that would be a perfect tunnel shot". I'd find every excuse possible to get out of work early to fight the waning hours of daylight, praying I'd get a full round in. I'd spend countless hours watching video's, reading articles and trying to replicate those pieces of advice in a field. I was hooked like a heroin junkie. Instead of a needle, I had discs. Instead of heroin, I had the sweet clanging of chains.

A year in, I wanted to improve and be better than all of my friends. I'd been beating them consistently and was starting to think I was invincible. I was under the illusion that every disc I threw was the best shot in the whole damn world. That every 15 footer sank was really like a 60 footer in a 30 mile an hour headwind with a raging river right behind the basket. I finally decided to get into tournaments. My first tournament was an absolute disaster. I went out and faulted my way to D.F.L. I lost discs, I lost my temper, I lost my delusions about my skill. I realized that no matter how much I thought my game was bulletproof, it wasn't.

This fueled my passion for the sport in a way that I had never thought possible. Every single waking free moment was spent in disc golf mode. I took my bag to work, I threw hundreds of drives a day. I'd putt in any condition just to get accustomed to it. Tournaments don't stop unless there's lightning so neither did I. I'd spend hours snapping a towel while all my friends were spending hours playing Call of Duty. I'd purposely get up three hours before a casual round was scheduled, get to the course and drill myself on shots that were troublesome. Now I'd become not just addicted but obsessed. I couldn't let it go. I saw chains everywhere. I'd hear them in my sleep. I'd sketch baskets on my documents at work. It was bad.

After three years, many awesome rounds and terrible tournament results, I was starting to become disenchanted. I would beat most people I played in a casual round but couldn't pull together two or three good tournament rounds. I'd self destruct. I'd let everyone affect my abilities. I was in a funk. I'd contemplate potentially flushing away the greatest sport I'd ever played. I decided that if I couldn't get something productive out of myself in a tournament, I was useless. I was dangerously close to giving up and taking up something like Beer Pong or Texas Hold 'Em.

I finally just stopped caring about all of it entering the Corbin Park Ice Bowl. I was so done with this stupid sport that the only reason I even played the Ice Bowl was for the charity. This was going to be my last event. I was not even expecting to finish well. Hell, I wasn't even expecting to finish. I figured a bird would come down and swoop my bag away. All that would be left would a dent in the ground where I dropped my bag for the final time. Once again, I would be proven wrong.

With nothing to lose, I played that tournament like I was possessed by a disc throwing demon. Every shot I made was on line. Every kick I had was a good one. Every ugly putt stuck. I shot 5 under that first round. I was ecstatic! All those feelings about quitting, all those days I spent moping around because my game wasn't going well faded into obscurity. I was sitting 3rd in my division (intermediate). I was dumbfounded. Where the hell had this been my whole disc golf career? Where did I find my game? Where had it been hiding? Why hadn't it revealed itself to me earlier? Who cared? I sure as hell didn't! I was ready for my second round.

Second round come and gone and I was sitting at 4 over for the two rounds. I was fifth in my division and walked out with some nice scrip (thanks Rapid Fire Plastics). People I had never meet before, never even seen on a course were congratulating me. Beers were plentiful, the women were not (different rant, different time). I had just rejuvenated my entire outlook on the sport. Once again, I was addicted. Once again, I was in disc golf mode.

Now almost 5 years into me playing and still having tournament issues (I will win some this year, I promise), I've realized why I play. Why I'll keep playing till I'm old and fuddy duddy. Why there is no sport in the entire world, no activity that I'd rather be doing. It's simple. I play because I love it. No beating around the bush. If I could, I'd marry my favorite driver. My offspring would be Fairway drivers and Midranges. My grandkids would be Putters. I love it because regardless of how well or how terrible my round might be, there is nothing I'd rather be doing. There isn't one day that goes by where I don't at least hold a disc in my hands. As I'm typing this now, I have my feet resting on top of a Simian, watching the clouds outside roll by, praying for a break to the rain and snow that is plaguing Spokane right now. I play because the only person who can be held accountable, either good or bad, is myself. I can't blame the discs (doesn't stop me from trying). I can't blame those around me (doesn't stop me from wanting to). I can only look at myself and know that I either did that correct or need to do it again to get it right. I know that if I continue to play and keep my head up, D.F.L. won't be so bad. So long as I have fun earning my last spot, I won't care that I'm there. I would only care if I didn't or couldn't play anymore. After all these years (and hopefully many, many more), all my fellow addicts are like family. Even if I haven't met you yet, your still my brethren. After all, we are all one nation, hopefully under par.

Phew, rant over, rain stopping. Time to play some golf. See you on the course (hopefully on the fairway).

Peace and Hukkin
Stuart A.

I agree wholeheartedly man. The reason's gotta be for fun, or else you aren't doing it right. I've been playing seriously now for 2 years and still haven't played in a tournament. Part of that is because I'm not huge on competition, and a good part is because most tournaments seem to be around 10 am. Ya, I'm not much of a morning person.

I agree wholeheartedly man. The reason's gotta be for fun, or else you aren't doing it right. I've been playing seriously now for 2 years and still haven't played in a tournament. Part of that is because I'm not huge on competition, and a good part is because most tournaments seem to be around 10 am. Ya, I'm not much of a morning person.

With you on that. I've played one tourney and my Int Teetimes were between 840 and 910am. That part wasn't good.

I'd been shooting like crap for months beforehand and that turned out to be a good thing as I had no expectations or pressure going into the tourney. I put enough pressure on myself in casual rounds, let alone under the stress of competition, so to have the pressure at least somewhat off was nice. For these reasons, I'm not entirely sure I'm tournament material. If I start expecting something out of myself, I'll end up angry and miserable both personally and as someone to play with so I think I'll stay away for a while.

I started playing because I had already come to love and be obsessed with the plastic and playing freestyle. Then I discovered Disc Golf and fell in love with it. Disc Golf can be a lifelong activity, I'm proof of that. Its been an amazing journy, and I've met alot of great people along the way.

I started as a social activity, then I began playing more to get more competative with in my social group. Then I became a course collector and started playing a lot of solo rounds.

I started playing because my son played and it was a great way to spend some quality time with him. I continued to play because I found it gave me much of the same rush that ball golf had always given me, but with several advantages (cost and convenience mostly).

I keep playing largely to hone my game for tournaments - I played high-level amateur tournament ball golf for years and really enjoyed the competition and pressure that came with it, but with disc golf there's always another tournament to play and the people are so much more laid back that it's a nice alternative for me in my old age (just turned 54).

Haven't touched a golf club in nearly 18 months now - my wife and my old ball golf buddies are incredulous.

I really enjoyed your "rant". It mirrored a lot of the feelings I have had this year (my first year in the sport). I have played and loved a lot of sports, but there has never been one that got me out of bed early so that I could sneak in a round before work (I did this almost every day for 3 months). That initial fever has cooled a bit, but I can't imagine a scenario in which this would not be a lifelong sport for me. I found an interesting article that talks about why golf is such a compelling sport http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118133845805529506.html

Reading this made me feel a bit like a rat in a cage pushing a button, but hey, if it's a beautiful, wooded cage that makes me feel alive, why not.

Great post/thread! The main reason I got into it was because my life long friend wouldn't leave me alone about trying it. I play now because I love it and it's a great way to get my family out of the damn house.

I'm at the addicted stage now though. My family and I were walking through some caverns a couple weeks ago and all I could think about was flight paths.

Fellow addict

I sarted playing because it seemed fun, being outside with friends. Then I had a very similiar relationship experience and started playing daily to "get away", I stopped going to my college classes to go throw at the local courses all day, when my friends were at class I'd go by myself even though my drivers license was suspened. Then I moved across country from MN to the NW, started a career and was busy starting a new relationship, for a moment the bug was gone. Then due to a career transition I was able to be close to a course again, once I started again it was a total relapse, I have a horrbile itch as well, its all I see, all I think about, where/when/how can I go throw, if there was a basket over there what line would I take. I play this game because I love it, it's the best activity I've ever learned.

I appreciate you posting this but likely for a different reason than most here. I won't make an awkward thread with details, but I have been playing more and more lately due to a similar situation with the opposite sex. It has helped my game by leaps and bounds, but it's even more important to my sanity. Disc golf is a lifetime sport that is always there when life has you by the short hairs, and it's encouraging to hear a story of a fellow golfer who made it through a sh!itty time with our shared addiction. I also 100% agree with you when you talk about that one round/hole/shot that makes up for 1000 bad ones. I could shoot a double bogie on 17 holes, but if I birdie the last one I leave the course smiling! Thanks for posting!

I play as a social activity. Play a few solo rounds, but that is too much like practice, whoich is too much like work.

I appreciate you posting this but likely for a different reason than most here. I won't make an awkward thread with details, but I have been playing more and more lately due to a similar situation with the opposite sex. It has helped my game by leaps and bounds, but it's even more important to my sanity.

+1

:hfive:

I was already addicted to disc golf before that, but during the divorce process, I learned that disc golf could be important on various different levels. Cheers!

This is my first post on the board, but I could not resist.
I am new to the game/sport but I really enjoy it beyond words. I definitely have "the fever" for sure. Find myself fantasizing about courses and planning road trips far into the future.

Things I have found I like or love about this game:

1) Any one, any age, any ability can play, and it is very inexpensive to get started
2) At first I was a "why would anyone need more than one disc" type of thrower and already I now have 6 discs in my bag after just one summer. I have grown to really appreciate the science of it, what can I say?
3) It's better exercise than I had imagined it to be. I have thyroid issues (graves disease) so keeping the weight off is important to me and this has been doing the trick without an big hassle or annoying regimen.
4) I have never been the "sporty" type - was never any good at any of them, but this is unlike any "sport" I have ever played.
5) My wife likes to play it too (this is huge)
6) Something about seeing brightly colored discs soaring through the air reminds me of my long lost space brethren in their saucer craft, cruising the skies. It takes me "home" in a weird way I can't quite describe.

Thanks for having me, I am new to the game but an old hat at the internets so hopefully I can contribute without annoying the veterans.

I have a great respect for the game and the people who put so much work into developing new courses for us to play. I am clean and green and love this game. Hope to compete in a tourney some day.