• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Why no love for the beast?

CK_32

Bogey Member
I've been set on grabbing a beast for a little while now.

But after Googling and seeing a ton of threads. Ive noticed guys who throw beasts or asking about beasts get a ton of flack and a ton of guys saying ditch it or throw something else.

So why no love for Inove Champ Beasts?

But after Googling and seeing a ton of threads. Ive noticed guys who throw beasts or asking about beasts get a ton of flack and a ton of guys saying ditch it or throw something else.

I throw a Star Beast like it's my job and, all things considered, it's my favorite disc. Haven't seen anyone here hating on The Beast, but then I haven't been around long.

Doesn't matter though....I don't care what people here or anywhere else say about it. That bad boy works for me and that's all that counts. Beast mode, brother! :thmbup:

If you are a new player stick with lower speed discs. If you are a seasoned thrower, throw whatever you want.

Use a fairway driver instead of a distance driver. I have thrown two different ones (Beasts, that is), DX and Blizzard,and dont have the arm for them. I can get them out to 250 and occasionally to 300. When it goes well the flight mimics the proper flight path. Gave them both up and just throw different weight Rivers for a control driver, and the the Striker for my overstable slot.

Just my opinions here, your individual results may vary.:D

Not sure why.....

It's a good intermediate driver. It's one of the first disc I was able to find 300 with. Mine was a 150g, and quickly out grew it and started turning it over. Finally turned it over into a river and never replaced it. But I could have easily grabbed a heavier one and continued to move forward with it.

Star Beast in one of my primary drivers. Love the consistancy and flight. Don't spend too much time worrying about what others say. Most of them can drive 600 ft. Once addicted to buying plastic, you will learn to buy one of everything and throw what you like.

Everybody is different. Try things that people suggest, but don't put too much stock into somebody telling you that you "have" to throw a specific mold. I threw beasts in the past, but changed to other molds when I started to get more distance. Everybody has different arm speeds and different form (good or bad). Throw what works for you and learn it inside and out. When you find something you like.....buy a bunch of them to experience the mold in different stages of wear.

Champ Beast was my go to driver for several years - I can't knock it. Then someone gave me a Lucid Renegade... I like it better. Gives me easier distance. I use it for the same types of shots I typically used my Beast for. Holes that were barely reachable for me with my Beast (if I threw it just right) are more reachable, more frequently, with my Renegade... more deuces. Probably saves me a stroke a round, maybe a bit more on average.

Not saying I'll never throw the Beast again, but for now, I've found something that works better for me.
If you The Beast works for you, rock it proudly.

Last edited:

bwah-hahaha. this guyl trying to throw a beast... what a sucker!

I wouldn't say there's no love for the Beast. I had to try one as I feel like most people do when starting out. It must be the name. BEAST! Sounds like something you should be throwing right? I have an older mold super gummy Beast and that is a great disc. And from what I understand the old mold was better and not as flippy as the new mold ends up being. But my new mold beat up Dx certainly gets some use for certain shots so I throw it in the bag when I have a use for it. Try it out and see what you think, it just isn't most people's primary driver on here from what I can tell.

If you are a new player stick with lower speed discs. If you are a seasoned thrower, throw whatever you want.

Use a fairway driver instead of a distance driver. I have thrown two different ones (Beasts, that is), DX and Blizzard,and dont have the arm for them. I can get them out to 250 and occasionally to 300. When it goes well the flight mimics the proper flight path. Gave them both up and just throw different weight Rivers for a control driver, and the the Striker for my overstable slot.

Just my opinions here, your individual results may vary.:D

I have a pretty decent arm and an average player. Strong point having good drives. Lucky enough to be gifted with a good arm and being a pitcher/right fielder all my life for baseball. I usually get out to about 275' sometimes 350' if I get a good rip with my leopard/Viking or so Google Earth says on my local course. I've had and used the same 3 drivers since I started and am trying to see if there is something to get me that little bit extra for those 400' holes and a ok wind disc.

Star Beast in one of my primary drivers. Love the consistancy and flight. Don't spend too much time worrying about what others say. Most of them can drive 600 ft. Once addicted to buying plastic, you will learn to buy one of everything and throw what you like.

Yea see what I'm trying to avoid is dropped $400 like I did when I was younger (2005) and had a bag full of just discs. When I first started playing and started playing young gun tourneys me and my friends got into a bad habit of buying Champs every day we played just to have awesome discs and I had about 22 discs and only could throw 3 (the 3 I kept). :doh: Trying to do the opposite and track down a few good ones and narrow the search and then try them rather than have a bag full of discs I never use and be smart and safe $$ this go around.

Again why I'm asking cause Im sorta set on the beast but saw a bit of diversion to other discs (Teebird, Valkyrie ect) on the interwebs.

I wouldn't say the Beast has no love. I definitely hear it mentioned. Discs that have no love? SL. I never hear anyone talk about that. Or the Max. When was the last time you saw a thread talking about how the Max was indispensable?

I have beat my max weight Star Beast to a nice place. I'm afraid to take it into wooded courses because it's in such a good state. I get more distance out of it than any of my other discs, in spite of the max weight. I'm a fan.

For many years before I started throwing Saints it was my Beast all day long. I could consistently get it to 380 to 390 before I retired them. It was either really nice straight shots,big S turns or those controlled hyzers. It was a staple in my bag for a long time.

Love the beast

1x Barry Schultz Beasts were the best run made. The earlier the better, super pearly discs. They last for years and they are consistent.

I like all beasts, old and new mold.
The old mold beast is still, in my opinion, one of the best forehand discs ever.
New mold isn't bad either.
And they go very far and accurate.
I don't really use mine now because I don't really need an in-between disc. I like my sidewinder more because it's reliably understable, which I can manipulate.

I've thought about this question of why the Beast is so popular with newer players and disliked a bit by more seasoned disc golfers.

I think it's because newer players find a long range driver that responds to their power. It can go straight for them, because it's speed stable for most newer players so it plays more overstable. But it's still an understable disc at it's core, and can hold long annies for newer players without fading out too soon, so it's easy distance . It's a taste of distance, but also decent control, for the newer player.

But if you've developed the power to get the Beast up to speed, it turns out to be a less useful combination of low LSS and a slightly OS fade (a kind of tweener measure of fade). If you can throw a Destroyer, there's no reason to throw anything like a Beast for distance. And it's got just enough HSS to make it less valuable as a turnover driver when you can throw a Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Leopard, River, etc., for the same shot much more easily.

Beast is in the odd tweener speeds that get no love anymore. I will say, though, that the Beast-X gets some love, but it's been renamed "Orc".

Latest posts