• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wii Motion Plus Disc golf/Tiger Woods

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Crap, I messed up on merging the two threads about this topic. Sorry guys. Here's a fresh one.

djext1 said:
New story about the motion plus and disc golf....That means the official PDGA game title can't be far behind now :)

(video on the link page)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173854
http://www.viddler.com/explore/nintendonow/videos/72/

The Wii could be shaping up to be the platform of choice for EA's latest golf game. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 will not only be one of the first games to take advantage of the Wii's new Motion Plus add-on when it releases this June, but it's also going to include modes of play unique to the console. Take the new Disc Golf mode featured in the above trailer, for example.

For the uninitiated, disc golf is -- much like it sounds -- an awful lot like regular golf, only the goal is tossing a plastic disc into a basket rather than hitting a ball into a hole in the ground. In Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, the Disc Golf mode utilizes the extra sensitivity of Motion Plus-equipped Wii remotes to provide a pretty convincing simulation of the sport.

Whether or not that's reason enough to go for the Wii version over the others is, of course, totally up to you.

excellent, wii motion plus is a big step up for the system. 1:1 ratio movement completely changes how games implementing the add-on will be played. The game will be sold for $59.99 im assuming. Games like this usually run $49.99, but they are including the Wii Motion Plus add-on with the game for only $10 more. I heard it will sell for nearly $40 otherwise. looking forward to the second week in june, this is very promising for for the disc specific golf game coming.

What'd he say??? 150 yard driver, 80 yard midrange, 20 yard putter! That will make it easier and less overwhelming for non discgolfers I suppose. What a great promotion for the sport. They should have some clips of Tiger playing disc golf.

Watching the video, I am pretty impressed. The discs fade off nicely and aren't super straight. I wonder how nose angle will play.

And since you are playing disc golf on a ball golf course, the addition of landing in the sand adding a one stroke penalty is a nice addition, I think. It may be misleading to those who are uneducated about the game, but gives incentive to not land in the sand.

Wow, this looks like disc golf on the Wii done right! And having it included in the Tiger Woods game should bring some attention/legitimacy to the sport.

My wife even said she would play that game! If you couldn't tell she really doesn't play but after seeing that clip even she is interested and said we are buying it.

WoW. that looks awesome. i cant wait to play that stadint infrot of my 60''. its gonna be awesome...

btw, you know how they call the golf course the "lynx"... is there a cool nick name for a disc golf course?

actually, golf courses are called "Links" because they generally link to each other like hole 1 leads to hole 2, etc. Nothing too fancy about the name.

This looks great. think of all the new players this could yield. It also paves the way for a stand alone disc golf game that hopefully would include real courses and a course builder.

This looks great. think of all the new players this could yield. It also paves the way for a stand alone disc golf game that hopefully would include real courses and a course builder.

I know right? Just look at what the Wii has done to the sport of bowling! Oh wait...bad example...

Seriously though - how cool would it be to play DeLaVeaga since my butt is too cheap to actually go there. I wonder if PDGA would consider requests - because I'd love to play Flip City or Maple Hill, but wonder if they would make the cut.

actually, golf courses are called "Links" because they generally link to each other like hole 1 leads to hole 2, etc. Nothing too fancy about the name.

Actually, they're called that because the game developed in Scotland on a distinctive type of seaside terrain called "linksland" -- treeless wind-swept grassland with a thin layer of topsoil above undulating sand dunes. Rabbit burrows were the original holes, and bunkers were originally areas of exposed sand, often on the leeward side of dunes where the topsoil had worn away, often by cattle or sheep huddling there to avoid the worst of the wind.

There's an interesting article in the 4/20/2009 issue of The New Yorker about a recent attempt to restore one of the earliest links courses, on the island of South Uist in the Hebrides, that had been abandoned over time. It discusses how the earliest golf courses were designed (insofar as they were designed, rather than just found) to take advantage of the terrain features that were already there, unlike today when golf course designers bring in earthmoving equipment and explosives to reshape the land into their idea of what a golf course should be. In that respect, disc golf course design seems much closer to the original way of doing things -- finding the possibilities inherent in what's already there, rather than reshaping nature.

Interestingly, the Giles Run/Laurel Hill Meadows complex in Fairfax Virginia was a 153 Acre tract given to the County when the City of DC abandoned their Lorton Reformatory complex. The county buildt a "Championship" Golf Course, and Giles Run DCG basically next to each other. From Hole 1 and 2 you can see the ball golf course...and the stark contrast really stands out... I think ball golf is the most wastefull hobby man's ever invented. The environmental impact is astounding. The land is cleared, reshaped, over-fertilized and mowed daily.... while our wondeful disc golf course is a place where we see nature in it's own beauty. I've seen all kinds of animals there- hawks, eagles, deer, snakes, etc... the only think you see on a ball golf course is fat guys in funny clothing.

I played some Tiger Woods 2010 disc golf briefly last night. Quick thoughts:

Overall, pretty cool. Not much in the way of disc selection (driver, mid, putter) but they do respect the release angle. The new Motion Plus thingamajig really is cool.

Your throws seem more about the snap at the end then the arm movement, so probably not something that could help your real game. I didn't get to play it much though. But it didn't seem to react significantly to any acceleration I was putting on my throws.

Putting is pretty much a gimme each time, which is kind of a bummer. But then again I would probably be bitching that it was too hard if it were more accurate ;)

Disc flight is kind of odd, but then again so is the ball golf ball flight in the game. It definitely reacts to any hyzer/anhyzer you put on the release. Sometimes the discs seemed to fly way further than they should, especially when I felt like I threw at 50% power of the previous throw. Again I think it's about getting the controller down.

Distances are measured in yards, which throws you off a bit.

For the most part, it's a fun game and I will probably pick up a copy myself soon. It's great to see disc golf in the game at all, and hopefully this will forward the development of a specific disc golf game for the Wii. I think the controls are just good enough that people who try it out of curiosity might want to try the real thing. The game shows what possibilities are out there for a disc-based game, and to see something developed by/for disc golfers would be great.

In the meantime Tiger Woods disc golf is pretty well done, and if you have a Wii it's definitely worth checking out even if you don't buy a copy.

Putting is pretty much a gimme each time, which is kind of a bummer. But then again I would probably be bitching that it was too hard if it were more accurate

I hear ya on the putting!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the new controller add on. They also have some sort of Frisbee game on the new Wii Sports Resort that also uses the new add on.

Down side:

My brother said he wanted to play disc golf today, got my hopes up just figure out he was talking about tiger woods.

DON'T LET IT TAKE OVER FOR THE REAL THING!!!

Latest posts