• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wild and Untamed vs Neat and Trimmed

Undergrowth is a good thing, and is good risk/reward. I think though you should remove any dead trees that have fallen over if that's the case. As long as it is growth(living) then leave it there. Removing trees that have fallen down (especially over gaps) can make the course look better and also be safer, so people aren't climbing on them (although it is fun...). Another thing you could do is trim fairways. One thing I really hate is the luck factor.

The local club is adding in a pro pad at carroll marty (Ames,Iowa) on hole 4. The route is tight with a 10ft wide fairway, and reduces to about a 4 ft gap 3/4 the way down. It's a short hole of about 200'. We went down and trimmed off all the low hanging branches that just stuck out to swat down discs. The line is hard enough to hit without 1 twig hitting it and screwing up an otherwise beautiful shot. That's the type of trimming that should take place, not removing rough.

It is always nice to play a well groomed course. Fairways that are defined are great. every course should have some rough.
Dead branches if they are with in reach should be taken down.
pine tree trimmed so they can grow.
tress that have no chance of growing sould come down, some times you need to thin in order for the rest of the course to grow.

Rough is a good thing but Brutally Rough is altogether an unattractive feature of DG.

How many of you have played with a group and one guy shanks into the Brutal Rough...? Etiquette dictates that you must help him find his disc for a reasonable amount of time (3 min in tourny)... I for one do not like getting down into the jungle looking for a disc only to come out with a fair amount of that jungle still clinging to me...

Rough is needed...sure
Brutal Rough is not needed and I will not return to courses that are that punishing...
Think about it... do you really need all that undergrowth to make shots harder? no, you don't.. discs generally fly through the air so the trees take care of the punishment for you... I don't think you should come out with sh.it sticking to you all over the place.

Clear out the shule a bit... it's a good thing.. let those here who think that kind of shule is good show just how good it is when hunting for their or their buddies discs... they won't have any good thing to say then I'm thinking..
this is just my opinion but I prefer courses with tough wooded rough and reasonably cleared out shule (undergrowth).

Rough is a good thing but Brutally Rough is altogether an unattractive feature of DG.

How many of you have played with a group and one guy shanks into the Brutal Rough...? Etiquette dictates that you must help him find his disc for a reasonable amount of time (3 min in tourny)... I for one do not like getting down into the jungle looking for a disc only to come out with a fair amount of that jungle still clinging to me...

Rough is needed...sure
Brutal Rough is not needed and I will not return to courses that are that punishing...
Think about it... do you really need all that undergrowth to make shots harder? no, you don't.. discs generally fly through the air so the trees take care of the punishment for you... I don't think you should come out with sh.it sticking to you all over the place.

Clear out the shule a bit... it's a good thing.. let those here who think that kind of shule is good show just how good it is when hunting for their or their buddies discs... they won't have any good thing to say then I'm thinking..
this is just my opinion but I prefer courses with tough wooded rough and reasonably cleared out shule (undergrowth).

Amen....who are these guys who like to stand in thorns and Ivy and spend 30 minutes searching for discs....who are these guys....Ive played with 1000 rated guys and everyone ends up in the shule sometimes......a 1000 rated will end up in different mess than a lower rated guy but everyone ends up in the so-called rough. So these guys preaching to keep it on the fairways must play some pansy courses and not realize what many of us are referring to when we mention schule off the fairways.

U_NICED_ME...you know we love you right?

I mean... I like you, I give you a lot of props for your determination towards learning and growing in this sport (same as I do all the other throwers on here looking to work at it)

...but you just CANNOT LEAD US ON LIKE THIS.

That being said... I like to see a little bit of effort towards keeping the elements at bay...but I don't want bald sand dunes either.

\/\/

Again trees good
thorns. grass, weeds, are bad

deep woods are usually better for DG as undergrowth is minimal....immature forrest is the worst and these are actually unhealthy for the forrest to have all that nasty undergrowth.

That reminds me of my buddy Dan. His wife was a graphic artist so he made a framed Off! ad that had a picture of a tent set up in the woods and read "You can't beat Off! in the deep woods"

Anyone here played Tuscawilla in Daytona Beach? Before Hurricane Charley, the place was nothing but brutality. Afterward, they cleaned it out and made it look very nice. It's still got some punishing features, like the deep trench ditches and thick brush islands, but it's more playable than before.

Anyone here played Tuscawilla in Daytona Beach? Before Hurricane Charley, the place was nothing but brutality. Afterward, they cleaned it out and made it look very nice. It's still got some punishing features, like the deep trench ditches and thick brush islands, but it's more playable than before.

I really wanna play this one...it looks awesome!:thmbup:

Will...sorry to mislead you, but there are some topics worth discussion...I have to get the attention of the group anyway I can!!! :p

I love this site because most of the time, you can get some thoughtful and helpful responses to queries! Everyone made good arguments for and against cleaning things up.

I'm so lucky to have a premiere course like this within a 10 minute drive and I don't take it forgranted. Today I saw no fewer than 5 deer while playing a couple of rounds. While my life would be made easier by taking down some of the cabbage...I think I have to give equal proprietership to the animals that call the park home. The blackberry bushes that cut my legs up are the same ones that provide sustinence to many animals in the park.

And like some of you argued....I get better everytime I play there. It is a course of high risk/high reward. It's hard to chew on that principle when you see other courses that just don't require as much out of you!!!

We played the front 9, it was 102 that day and we said f' that we are going to the beach! But yeah, it was a sweet little course...I can't believe I drove by it a million times before and didn't know it was a course.

deep woods are usually better for DG as undergrowth is minimal....immature forrest is the worst and these are actually unhealthy for the forrest to have all that nasty undergrowth.

The point is, are we trying to punish the golfer or the shot?

Having your skin flayed by thorns and then pasted with poison ivy, while ticks hop onto your legs, as you prepare for an easy upside-down lay-up (and par), is just stupid. Contemplating the impossibility of getting out of a clean bamboo thicket, with a million tiny trees in every direction, would be a better experience and a better punishment.

yeah I will never understand guys who think thorns, brambles, kudzu and deep grass add to the risk/reward...wtf!

There are some courses you have to play to understand... I really like a course to have a few very difficult holes, that cost you big time if you make a mistake... it separates players on the score card...

So for disc golf... I like a course to have a few wild and untamed holes and the rest be neat and trimmed.

There are some courses you have to play to understand... I really like a course to have a few very difficult holes, that cost you big time if you make a mistake... it separates players on the score card...

So for disc golf... I like a course to have a few wild and untamed holes and the rest be neat and trimmed.

I dont mind difficult woods and some brush.....I am more perplexed by the use of thorns, Ivy, Kudzu, and underbrush to make a course difficult.....they dont affect the scorecard as they are primarily ground level nuisances that merely chew up your legs, lose you discs and add nothing to the actual playing experience

Hole 14 at Deer Lakes is a long wooded nasty hole that many hate but its mostly absent of thorns and nasty shule...but the path to the basket is not easy to figure out/trees and smallish trees abound...even from the fairway I like this hole

Many holes at a certain course id Delaware utilize thorns and high grass as an obstacle....you will get your 3s no matter what but you may or not get scratched up and destroyed by the thorns and nastiness....how is that adding to the difficulty of the hole?

yeah I will never understand guys who think thorns, brambles, kudzu and deep grass add to the risk/reward...wtf!

See, Opti, now you pull me in the direction of cleaning out more of the underbrush. It isn't pleasant and I've had more than one scare of Lyme disease, a round of Doxycyline is miserable in most forms!!

But...I think I just got what you are saying!

There are definitely holes where the trees alone are obstacle enough without getting scratched up by the underbrush. But damn...it's such a deterrant from landing in there in the first place.

Latest posts