• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will Brodie Smith be better than Dustin Keegan?

Will Brodie Smith > Dustin Keegan?

• Total voters
No one's over looking that, we just know that doesn't matter when it comes to proper form. Top pros in disc golf are not "strong dudes".

Avery Jenkins comes to mind...but it will be interesting to see if Brodie's apparent physical/strength edge comes into play, especially if/when his form is dialed in.

I thought you can play in open even though you're an am you just can't accept cash? I could be wrong on that, will the pdga allow him to change his classification in the middle of the season as well

His status will change to pro if he accepts cash. Then he'll be required to register as a pro next year.

But combining that proper form with his strength will make a powerful combo
He'll be a powerful looking 975 rated player, :thmbup: if he makes it that high. Which I doubt.
Avery Jenkins comes to mind...but it will be interesting to see if Brodie's apparent physical/strength edge comes into play, especially if/when his form is dialed in.

Oh you found one....one!
And he's a master or older.

He'll be a powerful looking 975 rated player, :thmbup: if he makes it that high. Which I doubt.

Oh you found one....one!
And he's a master or older.

So what part of his game will prevent him from getting even to 975 do you think?

I don't see why you think he will have trouble with driving. Dude can throw a lid like very few people in the world. It is a very translatable skill. His hand-eye is good enough that he should putt ok from the get go as well. If he has problems I would expect them to come from course management and pace of play.

My take on Brodie is that he has a very high ceiling of potential disc golf performance, but he'll never reach it. He obviously has great throwing skills. But disc golf is a sport where a few small mistakes can take you out of contention. Top frolf pros have amazing discipline and focus on the course.

Figure out the smart throw for the situation, then execute. First time, every time.

That's philosophically the opposite mindset from what you need to film a trickshot video. For trickshots, you want to formulate impressive/fancy throws, understanding that you may take dozens of attempts to successfully accomplish the goal.

It also boils down to incentives. Brodie is going to generate more income from YouTube clicks than tournament purses, and he knows that. So cash-wise, his time is best spent filming a "Life On Tour" vlog, or a game of HORSE against Paul and Simon. Brodie isn't necessarily incentivize to do boring stuff like dial in 250' upshots at a variety of angles, or figure out a consistent stance for downhill straddle putts.

And you know what? His videos will get a million+ views each, mostly from his existing fan base. They don't necessarily follow the PDGA tour or care that Brodie's got very little chance of winning any important tournaments.

TL, DR:
Brodie's touring season will be a commercial success despite competitive failure.

No one's over looking that, we just know that doesn't matter when it comes to proper form. Top pros in disc golf are not "strong dudes".

Ken Climo
Kevin Jones
GG
AJ
Yeah, strength matters, strength to weight ratio is very important. All powerful throwers in all sports have a very high strength to weight ratio..

If disc golf even goes simi mainstream, there will be much more athletic players in the sport. If the current trend keeps up, in 10 years most of the current pros won't even be able to break in the top 10 on open courses. It will be like expecting MJ to win the San Frisco Open now.

Age may be the barrier that keeps Smith from becoming a top 5 player. The more I think about it, he plays ball golf well, which is a much more difficult mental game than DG.

Time will tell.

I don't see why you think he will have trouble with driving. Dude can throw a lid like very few people in the world. It is a very translatable skill. His hand-eye is good enough that he should putt ok from the get go as well. If he has problems I would expect them to come from course management and pace of play.

Yes he can, with 3 or 4 takes. I doubt those great throws we see on video are his first.

I don't hate Brodie, I know very little about him. I just think it's ridiculous to believe that he'll be a top player in disc golf this year or for the next few years. We will see this summer. I now I could be wrong about his play but I've already made one bet over it and don't think I'll be proven wrong come January 2021.

Yes he can, with 3 or 4 takes. I doubt those great throws we see on video are his first.

I don't hate Brodie, I know very little about him. I just think it's ridiculous to believe that he'll be a top player in disc golf this year or for the next few years. We will see this summer. I now I could be wrong about his play but I've already made one bet over it and don't think I'll be proven wrong come January 2021.

You do realize that trick shots weren't his whole life right?

I am not talking about his silly ass trick shot videos. I am talking about on the field of play in ultimate. Will he be a top pro disc golfer right off the bat? No. 980 or so immediately though? would not surprise me at all- it ain't that hard.

So he already has experience at pro level disc golf? I didn't know that.

I think you're just trolling now. He played competitive ultimate for quite a while. He can throw an ultra star about 70 yards or about 210 feet. May not seem like much but just like throwing a gold disc, that takes technique especially with how flippy ultra stars are. It was after he did well with ultimate a year or two he started doing trick shots.

I think you're just trolling now. He played competitive ultimate for quite a while. He can throw an ultra star about 70 yards or about 210 feet. May not seem like much but just like throwing a gold disc, that takes technique especially with how flippy ultra stars are. It was after he did well with ultimate a year or two he started doing trick shots.

Smith played college and professional Ultimate for nine years, taking off a couple for a knee injury.

Latest posts