• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Windy Putting

kcplease

Double Eagle Member
I have been having trouble putting in the wind. Are there any tricks you have to help putt in wind?

The wind in question is between 20 and 40. I won't get out when its over 45, but it happens occasionally. Under 15ish I'm usually fine from 20 and in, getting better as it gets calmer.

Yeah, frankly, if its over about 20 mph, I will lay up 9 times out of 10. Its simply too chancy from something even as close as 15' out because a sudden gust can pick up your disc and send it flying miles away.

The rule of thumb, however, if you're just dead set on putting in those conditions, is to keep it nose down in a headwind (as the headwind will have a tendency to pick a disc up) and aim lower, and do the reverse with a tail wind. I also find that using more power on a putt into the wind helps get more consistent results

My home course is windy most of time. I think the most important thing is to keep the nose down when you release, esp in a headwind.

I usually use my pig instead of the wizard if the wind is above 20 mph, even on 15' or 20' putts.

For headwind putts try this. Put the disc nose up. Aim lower than normal. The nose up guarantees that the wind is going to lift the disc which is why you aim low. If you don't put the nose up the wind could push the disc down before it gets to the basket.

I learned this at a putting clinic put on by Nikko Locastro a couple of yeas ago. You will be amazed at how easy a 30' headwind putt becomes with this technique.

At another putting clinic by Liz Lopez she said that for tailwind putting she literally tries to hit the yellow cumberbun at the top of the basket. Since a tailwind pushes a disc down, it's impossible to hit the cumberbun if you're aiming at it and you have a tailwind. Try it!

The other school of thought is to just keep the disc perfectly flat and use alot of spin so the disc is not affected by the wind.

I already throw a Rhyno pretty aggressively so I don't have too much of a problem with headwinds. I will generally throw my regular putt with a touch more hyzer as the wind increases. The head wind causes the disc to barrel roll slightly until flat.

Tail winds: I throw harder and higher. If it's outside the circle and/or uphill I sometimes switch to something with more float like an Aviar or Ion.

I usually putt with an Ion and they do have sometimes too good of a float into wind. Are there any putters that you use specifically for wind? And what do you thing about putting with mids and drivers?

I always keep the stamp towards the wind, and aim high and strong.

Eg:

Headwind: Nose down, throw it high and hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will drop more than usual.

Tailwind: Nose up, throw it high and hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will drop more than usual.

Wind left to right: RHBH hyzer angle, throw it straight at it hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will fight the hyzer (go straighter than usual), and drop more than usual.

Wind right to left: RHBH anhyzer angle, throw it straight at it hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will fight the anhyzer (go straighter than usual), and drop more than usual.

Basically, I would rather throw the disc harder/higher/more hyzer and anhyzer than normal, and rely on the wind to push it towards the chains. Plus, I feel they act a lot less squirrelly when the disc is pushing on the top of the disc, instead of the bottom.

If you want to expose the bottom of the disc to some nasty wind, you are at the mercy of the gusts. Personal preference, really.

I've tried to develop an aggressive putting style. IOW I throw straight and rather hard. This way the wind is a minor variable.

I always keep the stamp towards the wind, and aim high and strong.

Eg:

Headwind: Nose down, throw it high and hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will drop more than usual.

Tailwind: Nose up, throw it high and hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will drop more than usual.

Wind left to right: RHBH hyzer angle, throw it straight at it hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will fight the hyzer (go straighter than usual), and drop more than usual.

Wind right to left: RHBH anhyzer angle, throw it straight at it hard. Wind pushing on stamp means the disc will fight the anhyzer (go straighter than usual), and drop more than usual.

after this post i hope i never see another thread/post about windy putting because these are the answers to the endless questions

reduce your power by 2/3rds the power needed to throw it that far on a calm day. Throwing hard creates more spin and lift. When it gets windy I use the flippiest disc available. Skill beats muscle.

In winds over 30mph putters are likely to get blown away, I just turn a Firebird or Predator upside down and putt with it. A gust of wind will just force the disc to the ground. No gust will usually end up in the basket. I do this only in extreme conditions (that are frequent in West Texas).

reduce your power by 2/3rds the power needed to throw it that far on a calm day. Throwing hard creates more spin and lift. When it gets windy I use the flippiest disc available. Skill beats muscle.

Yeah, my way is definitely a muscle over skill approach, big time. For me, it at least guarantees the disc isn't going to sail way past in the worst conditions.

I think I would take Nikko's putting advice over a guy calling himself gooddrivebadputt.

It's been a long year! :)

But seriously, I guess I can't argue with advice from a pro. I'll give it another shot, but rim towards the wind=pain for me.

i just wish for windy, the more wind the better. I make my putts with a flippy disc when everyone else panics and tries stuff they aren't used to.