• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Winter and/or glow bag

B-Man

Birdie Member
So I've been playing for a while now, but never put together a winter and/or glow bag. This will be my first winter playing. I want to keep the bag no more than 5 or 6 discs. I'd assume throwing with winter gear on can slow you down some, so I'm assuming my usual speed 13 distance drivers will have to be scaled back. Anyway I'm new to winter disc golfing so any advice or disc choices would be much appreciated. What plastics are better in the cold? Should I do a glow AND a normal bag with winter friendly plastics? Because I'm thinking white glow discs in snow during the day is bad.

My key piece of advice: slick teepads kill arm speed and confidence. I throw near 400 ft. And my most reliable disc I could get up to speed on any given winter round was an MVP amp. You'll likely need to tone down the stability of most discs a tick or two if you life in an area prone to ice and slush. And MN it would appear you are.

Think of your winter bag as a stand and deliver bag. Even if the tee is shoveled, it's likely to be pretty slick, and hard to get a full run-up on. So you'll be throwing with less power, so discs that may flip up nicely in the summer may be hyzer machines in the winter. Account for that by gearing your bag a little more to the understable side.

Also, use dark colors in the snow. Glow won't help you at all unless you're playing at night.

Honestly as a fellow Minnesotan who played last winter...nothing you can do will help as much as keeping your hands and body warm. If your hands get cold you will not be able to throw for ****.

Chartreuse, pink and orange, any sort of "electric" color like the mvp eclipse series will reflect light from the snow and pop out, even in the evening or broad daylight. Eclipse discs are actually THE best you can do for winter visibility in my opinion regardless of light conditions. You may want to tape ribbons to your disc, though I personally don't. Many do. As long as the tees are shoveled and salted you can throw almost as far as usual, just the bulky outerwear holding you back.

Kc pro and dx can shatter when it gets subzero. Kc pro being more likely, same with CE. Champ and star do fine but take hits on grip if your hands are cold. Get a softer putter, some bright plastic and maybe try gstar or pro IMO.

Dx plastic is nice because if you lose it, no hard feelings.

personally, though? I keep my bag the same molds, I just throw fewer variations. Use understable /neutral discs if you want to minimize run up.

Last edited:
I prefer to throw only putters in the winter. Fun way to change things up and they don't burrow as bad.

Oregon winters are mostly just wet, so...

...Vibram.
And lots of towels.

Down here you just switch some of the colors out, red and silver out green and blue back in, but I played in Wi a bit last winter and some pro/ sure grip discs wouldn't have gone amiss.

What plastics are better in the cold? Should I do a glow AND a normal bag with winter friendly plastics? Because I'm thinking white glow discs in snow during the day is bad.

Another thing to consider is the glow discs don't hold the glow charge as long when it gets below freezing. You are better off with Champion/Z plastic discs with LED lights in the winter. Pace of play can be slower too in the snow and trying to find a glow discs that is no longer glowing in the snow and dark is like a needle in a haystack. This was my experience playing all last winter in the "Polar Vortex" in Michigan. :D

I put together a winter bag to try this year. All G-star plastic. I'm not planning to play in the deep snow, but those cold days when there isn't much ground accumulation.

Aviar, Roc3, TL3, PD, Destroyer.