• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winthrop Gold Information Needed

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
EDIT: Nevermind I found it.

I don't know if its just me but I had a really hard time locating the Winthrop Gold page on this site. Anytime I searched for it through DGCR itself I could only come up with Winthrop Lakefront, the gray course. Only by searching through google did I find what I needed.

Either way this can be deleted now.

Last edited:
It is considered a temporary layout. You have to click the check box to include temperary courses in order for it to appear.

On this note, I'm not sure why it is labeled as temporary. The tee pads and baskets for the gold course are there year round. I was confused by this when I did my review as well.

I understand that the rope is only there a couple weeks per year, but people can and do venture to Winthrop to play that course (and possibly review it, whatever condition it is in when they arrive) throughout the year.

my guess is that, if its not a temp course, it is just a layout, like renny gold or charlottes web and should not have a page at all.

I agree. It's a different layout of the same course. Maple Hill's golds bear no resemblance to the red configuration and in some places use completely different parts of the property. They aren't regarded as different courses.

Regardless of if people disagree with that assessment, I'm not sure who is served by making the course page harder to find.

Regardless of if people disagree with that assessment, I'm not sure who is served by making the course page harder to find.
I was told that without the artificial OB that is present for the USDGC, you're really not playing the true WG layout. If the OB rope is not available year round, then you really can't call it permanent.

Seems like a weird choice to me.

The layout is up year round. Seems like it would make more sense to link the Gold layout to the Lakefront layout on nearby courses or something.

you could say that about any temp course. you want them to be somewhat tougher to find so that casual site users dont show up and find that there is no course there.

in this case its been decided that it isnt really winthrop gold without the rope.

but since the baskets are there...i think its a tossup between the current set up and just using one course page. the only thing that would be clearly wrong is calling it a nearby course

Yeah, this has been discussed several times before. timg's decision. I couldn't find his quote in a quick search, but I think his feeling is that it's not really the Gold course without the rope -- therefore it's temporary.

I view the rope as a tournament enhancement to a permanent course(/layout). I've heard of lots of tournaments adding OB just for the tournament. This is just an extreme example. But whatevs, it's timg's call.

Perhaps a link to the Gold course in the description of the Lake course would help some people find what they're looking for?

It really isn't the same course without the rope. The rope defines the fairways on practically every hole out there. You can download a caddie book and guesstimate where the ropes are when you play but it still comes short of stressing out about every narrow fairway or short throw that might not make that high risk/high reward shortcut.

Definitely comes into play on 14. You're right about the others, though.
(more so last year than prior years)

Overlapping layouts are tricky, no matter what.

In the course info on the Winthrop Lakefront course, it says that the Gold layout is listed separately, and lists a link which doesn't work (at least with my computer/browser). Perhaps that should be updated.

How many holes are shared, or partially shared, between the two layouts?

Overlapping layouts are tricky, no matter what.

In the course info on the Winthrop Lakefront course, it says that the Gold layout is listed separately, and lists a link which doesn't work (at least with my computer/browser). Perhaps that should be updated.

How many holes are shared, or partially shared, between the two layouts?

I put that "link" in there today, but it didn't make it a link, just a URL you have to cut-and-paste. I don't know if timg can make it a link or not.

Gold 1 = Lake 1
Gold 2 = Lake 3 + Lake 4
Gold 3 = Lake 5
Gold 4 = Lake 6 + part of Lake 7, crossing Lake 8
Gold 5 = Lake 9 + Lake 10
Gold 6 = Lake 11
Gold 7 = Lake 12
Gold 8 = Lake 13 + more
Gold 9 through 15 are on their own.
Gold 16 = Lake 14
Gold 17 = Lake 17 but from a different tee
Gold 18 = Lake 18?? (maybe a different basket)

**Above is somewhat accurate as-of some point in time.

Last edited:
By the way, the tournament setup is summarized as "the rope", but there are hay bales on #17 that make an island green, and the #6 basket is moved onto the beach. Neither of those are present year-round, just like the rope.

I love playing it without the rope/bales/beach. But honestly, if it's listed as a separate and temporary course, then any reviews without the rope/bales/beach should be disallowed. I reckon.

By the way, the tournament setup is summarized as "the rope", but there are hay bales on #17 that make an island green, and the #6 basket is moved onto the beach. Neither of those are present year-round, just like the rope.

I love playing it without the rope/bales/beach. But honestly, if it's listed as a separate and temporary course, then any reviews without the rope/bales/beach should be disallowed. I reckon.

It's just about 3 overlapping layouts---Lakefront, Gold sans rope & haybales, Full Gold.

We have 3 overlapping layouts at Stoney Hill, with still enough shared holes that we wouldn't list them as separate courses, but it's been a bit confusing trying to squeeze them into the standard course listing and hole info.

The gold course was added shortly after the site was established before any real rules about temp courses and layouts came into play so the page was just sort of grandfathered in. It probably should be a tee on the normal page but the other page has been around so long that I just left it.

I think merging the two would be a good choice. Listing the grays and the golds as seperate hole lengths like most course pages do.

Ropes change the way you play the course ALOT! Plus, the ropes are placed differently every year. And some of the baskets are in different positions all year, except for the tourney.

I think merging the two would be a good choice. Listing the grays and the golds as seperate hole lengths like most course pages do.
They're going to remain separated, they have been for like 6 years or something, no sense in changing it now.