• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

with winter coming?

You can be just as warm and comfortable outside in Winter as in summer. It just takes longer to get dressed. And, you need to get over being concerned about how you look, so you actually wear everything you need to wear - like ski goggles when it's windy.

Randy-Snow-Suit-A-Christmas-Story-2-thumb-autox379-198180.jpg

Steve's youth

Try living in Minnesota during winter, ill maybe play till the end of November, Dec through Feb is almost always 10 below.

you can buy a basket for your yard. SIDE NOTE: I was wondering what would happen to a disc that was left under the snow for the winter?
I've had this happen once, an S-PD. It came back a bit domier, otherwise just as overstable as before.
Try living in Minnesota during winter, ill maybe play till the end of November, Dec through Feb is almost always 10 below.
The Finns moved en masse to Minnesota because it was just like back home, except nice and warm. =)

In the winter, I will try to play when ever I can. I need some more spicific gear for winter disc but I should be fine.

In winter it is a new game. Say good bye to shotting for your best round and say hello to shooting for par. I too am in MN and the snow can really make a round difficult if there's 2 feet on the ground.

I am getting a little burned out to tell the truth. It took nearly 3 years of playing constantly, year round to get to the point where I need a little break.
I hear ya wolito. From time to time I will get into discussions about disc and 30 minutes later we are still talking about what discs we have, what discs we want and what not and I get that feeling inside. Like, this whole discussion seems rediculous, that we talk this much about disc. But then the next day I wake up and the first thing I think of is, I hope it's nice cause I'm goin to play regaurdless. I can't wait for that 50 footer to save par or birdie.

surveyor's tape... duck tape a three to four foot section to your favorite discs and throw!

ps florescent pink or green is the best...

When there's snow on the ground, I play a lot of shorter courses, and bring out the zephyrs. They make me really work on slowing down and throwing smooth, they're easy to throw well from a standstill, and they never go under the snow so I don't have to spend time looking for them.

Even though I live somewhere that gets alot of snow, it isnt the snow that slows me down....its the damn sun setting as I get off work that stops me from playing.

A traditional 9-5 job isnt disc golf friendly when the sun sets right after I get off.

Only 1 place near me is open past dusk. I have given some serious thought to buying a glow buzzz and a couple of the blinking LEDs

Last edited:
I believe I should migrate during winter, its the only way to truly be happy with disc, but id like to see what my wifes expression when i tell her the reason to move, I can just imagine the glum look and sighs.

For winter in a place with no snow, buying glo discs or beacons is all you need to do to prepare for the season :)

My kids and I have already made a 6 hole course in the house (two story) that we play with coffee can lids. It's not the same, but these mid-west winters can get brutal. Even if there isn't snow on the ground, it's soaking wet outside.

We play year round here, even during the week. My home course allows night golf without glowsticks - we made a 'putter course' that plays around a brightly lit sand volleyball/tennis court area. Great practice keeping your form clean during the winter.

Basically play every weekend all winter, except in the worst conditions. Layers, layers, layers. Always dress in layers, so you can shed them after you get warmed up and walking around. Wool socks are kick ass too, especially when paired with goretex boots of some sort. Keeps the feet nice and cozy in all but the most brutal temps. Good gloves that are easy to take on and off, and lots of handwarmers. I'd also recommend a neck gaiter/warmer, it's amazing how much heat you can lose without one.

There is no off season in disc golf!

yeah it's important to only play when it's not windy in the winter. I tried doing it a couple times in Fargo, and man oh man, that is pretty miserable. Just cold is fine, but if it gets below 0 with 20 mph winds... that's not nearly as fine.

yeah it's important to only play when it's not windy in the winter. I tried doing it a couple times in Fargo, and man oh man, that is pretty miserable. Just cold is fine, but if it gets below 0 with 20 mph winds... that's not nearly as fine.

I can relate on that one. I played in Minot during the winter and thought I was never going to make it out alive!