• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Woman disfigured in park disc golf incident

So sad this happened. Never throw a disc when your worst throw could hit someone.

This is a good example of why the real future of disc golf is in exclusive use and, dare I say, pay facilities, be they private or publicly owned. At a multi-use park, there's really no such thing as picnickers setting up on or casual strollers walking across *our* fairway...it's usually viewed as the fairway happens to pass through *their* picnic area or *their* walking path. At the very least with an exclusive use, there's a clear delineation of who belongs where and when. People would really be encroaching into *our* territory, and assume the risks there-in if they do so.

^^ Yea Aim, I just saw the pics from your link. It was only a matter of time.

It was clearly a n00b throwing. The only hole that plays near that area is hole three which is only 210' and pretty straight. The shot was pulled left (which is indicative of a n00b throwing a high speed driver on a 210' hole...) Anybody who had a clue would not have been anywhere close to hitting her. Also, the article states that the woman was watching her daughter practice track. There isn't a track in that area, so.....? Regardless, be careful when throwing around other people (use common sense).

Um what? have you read the reviews?

Cons: This really shouldn't be a disc golf course. This park was clearly designed to attract people, with great playgrounds, nice ampitheater seating, and a decent lake. The problem is that the park designers crammed so many benches and other "park stuff" in that the disc golf baskets appear to be an afterthought. There are holes that run right next to playgrounds with kids running around, holes that literally have park benches inline with the path of the hole, and holes that are so close to each other that you're forced to dodge discs. I absolutely love little 9 hole courses but this one just shouldn't be. Please keep in mind I played on a Sunday afternoon in beautiful CA weather, my experience would probably have been different on a Tuesday morning after a storm.

Cons: In a few spots it's not at all obvious where to find the next tee, make sure to take a look at the map ahead of time. There are a ton of safety issues here, with holes playing along and over sidewalks, playgrounds and an amphitheater. This park seems pretty popular for families and picnickers so you may have to skip holes if you play on a busy day.

The locals have set up alternate shots. They're a lot of fun, but they make the safety issues even worse by adding crossing fairways and multiple groups throwing at the same basket. Holes 6 and 7 play right at one another sharing the same fairway.

Cons: - You must play early or late on weekends as this public park is crowded during the day.

Cons: If you get there after 9am on any day, it is going to be crowded and your round probably won't be the most enjoyable experience of your life. There are a few short holes. 1 is right next to a playground and the middle school requiring some holding back to avoid hitting a kid or losing a disc. Hole 4 is very short and hole 8 is next to a bathroom and a playground, and short. There are lots of alternate tees laid down by various people, making things sometimes confusing. Especially when people are playing alternate tees and you don't know what they are throwing at. Just keep your head up and you'll be fine.

There are alot of people at this park and they dont seem to look out for them selfs.
So be sure to shout there way load. The Locals tell me the park will bag and lock the baskets during concerts and other functions at the park. and that its not worth playing on the weekends unless u are there before 10 am.

its in the title and first paragraph..
A Hermosa Beach woman who lost most of her sight in one eye after she was struck by a flying golf disc in Polliwog Park has sued the city of Manhattan Beach.

Let this be an example of why certain parks shouldn't have disc golf courses in them.

My worry is that the Ken McGarys of the world are going to use this story as propaganda against future course proposals, and to suggest that other existing courses be pulled, even in parks where likelihood of something like this happening to a non-participant is minimal.

What an unfortunate incident. That course should probably be removed. I won't blame the victim. It's really crappy that she lost vision in one if her eyes. But did the headline really have to read that she was "disfigured?" Leave it to the media to make matters worse....

What an unfortunate incident. That course should probably be removed. I won't blame the victim. It's really crappy that she lost vision in one if her eyes. But did the headline really have to read that she was "disfigured?" Leave it to the media to make matters worse....

agreed on all counts. this is terrible and it's one of those times where you wish someone would have had the foresight not to install the course to begin with. disc golf needs to expand, but we can't just throw courses in anywhere.

The media always makes stuff sound much much worse than it actual is. yes it is terrible that she got hurt. But WHY put a course in highly crowed park :confused: leave it to a park district think this is a good idea.