• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Woman disfigured in park disc golf incident

Just looking at the pictures, you can tell this course is going to be no more very soon. The shot across the ampitheater is very dangerous. People may see a tee box in grass and know something is up, but not many people will have a clue what the paint on the sidewalk is there for.

im gonna go hang out in a hyzer death zone and get paid biaches! in ball golf, the player assumes all responsibility for personal or property damage. the park getting sued is simply a matter of going after the deepest pockets. lawyers are scum. you could loose an eye, or suffer serious injury from many activities in a public park. and allowing people to sue the city over it is the mental retardation that plagues this nation. we participate in one of the most dangerous activities on earth every day, commuting to work. should we not allow people to drive on the streets or sue the city or state every time someone gets hurt? :thmbdown: you may want to see if your homeowners insurance covers something like this, cause it could be u in court and not the city. maybe a good reason to not put your name and number on your disc. if you park it in someones forehead, just run! not funny i know....... and it sucks someone got hurt in this accident.

Truth

^hardly truth... if the city/state built the road like idiots to cause accidents then there might be a case huh?

It would be hard to prove a person TRIED to do this to another person but pretty cut and dry if there were not any notices and poor designing at the level which controls the parks where the fault lies.

She wasn't sunbathing under the basket.

The park had to design this course(If it was done by a player/designer they should be smacked around). They obviously had no idea what they were were doing and had no concept of safety. It definitely is not a good thing, but on the lighter side of it maybe this can help other courses get put in by people who actually know how to design a course. These sorts of things can happen at any public course, but just looking at some of the pictures of this course has me scratching my head and I find it very hard to believe that nobody(disc golf movers and shakers in the area) warned the park disctrict about these dangers.

^hardly truth... if the city/state built the road like idiots to cause accidents then there might be a case huh?

It would be hard to prove a person TRIED to do this to another person but pretty cut and dry if there were not any notices and poor designing at the level which controls the parks where the fault lies.

She wasn't sunbathing under the basket.
i have driven on some pretty poorly designed roads and intersections before, but there wouldnt be any accidents without the drivers. so you would point the finger at the road and not the driver? i feel that you either hit someone, or they hit you.

ase far as design and location go, i dont think there any location or design that will prevent this from happening again. any time a projectile is involved, the person propelling it is responsible.

Last edited:
im gonna go hang out in a hyzer death zone and get paid biaches! in ball golf, the player assumes all responsibility for personal or property damage. the park getting sued is simply a matter of going after the deepest pockets. lawyers are scum. you could loose an eye, or suffer serious injury from many activities in a public park. and allowing people to sue the city over it is the mental retardation that plagues this nation. we participate in one of the most dangerous activities on earth every day, commuting to work. should we not allow people to drive on the streets or sue the city or state every time someone gets hurt? :thmbdown: you may want to see if your homeowners insurance covers something like this, cause it could be u in court and not the city. maybe a good reason to not put your name and number on your disc. if you park it in someones forehead, just run! not funny i know....... and it sucks someone got hurt in this accident.

You can't be serious right now lol. I hope you're trolling but have a feeling you're not. The course should be pulled, and the lady should get paid handsomely. You clearly haven't read the full article and looked at pictures of the course. There were multiple complaints and it was an unsafe course.

I absolutely positively can say this will never happen to me, because I know enough to not even attempt to throw if I might endanger a passerby. I will skip a hole or even leave the course entirely before I try to play through a busy park like that.

The reason I think it's most likely a "chucker" to blame is because in my experience, those are the people who will throw without any regard to who might be in the way, be they other golfers or non-golfing passersby.

I guess it depends on whether or not you equate "chucker" with someone who's new to disc golf or a dumbass. :p

If you're ignorant of what disc to thrown in a particular situation, ignorant of proper technique or even ignorant of the rules, you may still be considered a chucker by many people on these forums. However, you could be all of these things and be a perfectly safe and reasonable player who just happens to be new to the game.

i have driven on some pretty poorly designed roads and intersections before, but there wouldnt be any accidents without the drivers. so you would point the finger at the road and not the driver? i feel that you either hit someone, or they hit you.

ase far as design and location go, i dont think there any location or design that will prevent this from happening again. any time a projectile is involved, the person propelling it is responsible.

Um, roads are for driving on...? Just like disc golf courses should be for playing disc golf.

There are so many "dangerous intersection" lawsuits WITH GOOD REASON every year I think you are a bit out of touch.

I guess it depends on whether or not you equate "chucker" with someone who's new to disc golf or a dumbass. :p

If you're ignorant of what disc to thrown in a particular situation, ignorant of proper technique or even ignorant of the rules, you may still be considered a chucker by many people on these forums. However, you could be all of these things and be a perfectly safe and reasonable player who just happens to be new to the game.

Oh, I make a distinction between newb and chucker, for sure. The chucker, to me, is the dumbass who should know better but doesn't care enough to act like it. He's the one in the group of chuckers who will throw his disc from the tee then follow it down the fairway while his buddies continue to throw at the back of his head. And they're all throwing 13 speed discs whether it's a 300 foot tee shot or a 30 foot putt. And they're the types to yell at pedestrians and passersby to get out of their way like they own the place instead of patiently waiting for them to pass or politely going up to them to inform them of why they might want to keep their head up.

More Truth. People need to learn to take personal responsibility. If the course is poorly design then the players need to take more precautions or not play it.

If a road is dangerous the prudent thing to do is slow down, be more cautious or avoid that stretch of road entirely.

The reason there are so many rich lawyers is because screwups are always looking to blame someone or something else for their stupidity.

The bottom line is this... The golfer in the article should not have thrown a disc if there was a reasonable chance that he might hit someone and the woman should not have been that close to a target that is meant for people to throw objects toward without keeping her eyes open for the possibility of getting hit.

The bottom line is this... The golfer in the article should not have thrown a disc if there was a reasonable chance that he might hit someone and the woman should not have been that close to a target that is meant for people to throw objects toward without keeping her eyes open for the possibility of getting hit.

But if the park puts an amphitheater in the middle of a course and doesn't warn the general public about a potential flying disc hazard, that's on the park.

the course designer and the thrower are lucky they aren't being sued as well. maybe eventually people will get it through their heads that sometimes no course at all is a better option than a potentially dangerous course.

There's been no indication that she was anywhere near a target when she was hit. And even if she was, if there's no indication as to what the target is (say a sign or someone giving her a heads up), why would she think she was in any danger whatsoever.

The vast majority of the public looks at a disc golf target and has no idea what it is or what it's for. It's naive to assume that non-golfers should know the risks involved with being anywhere near a target.

To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken this long. Just cause you can create some good holes does not make it a good course. As others have said, DG is not a good fit for all parks. Sadly, this will be used to ammunition to get rid of other courses. That said. When designing a course, safety is paramount. Many park patrons are completely unaware they're even walking near a course, let alone backwards down a fairway, which many of us have seen. This is even worse on blind holes.

Some of the people in this thread need to watch a few more episodes of Judge Judy. Your ideas of what's fair, legal, or even logical boggles my mind.

What a horrible spot for a course. From the pictures, it looks like you'd pretty much have to shut down the park to be able to have a safe course. I can't see myself even WANTING to play that course. The city is definitely at fault...that course should never have been installed.

To me, common sense says that the player/thrower is always responsible to make sure that no one is endangered before you throw.
The bad thing about common sense, it isn't all that common.

Sucks for the lady. Losing sight in an eye is a MAJOR deal, folks.

Based on the article (I'm pretty sure that it does NOT caontain all releveant info):
Seems like the DG course should never have been placed in that park and the city is probably gonna pay big for their poor judgement.

Hope it doesn't affect other (safe) DG courses.

Latest posts