• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would anyone like to come to Dallas to learn my snap method?

Brad,

I can be up there almost any day between this sunday and friday august 7th. That's including this Sunday and excluding Friday the 7th. I would love to be the DGR guinea pig. Let me know.

dgdave said:
What did you realize when we played?

The apex of the strong pull zone needs to be much closer to the body and more around. I had my apex too far in front and too the left. More like a Markus Kallstrom type move (without his massive exit power---which I will never have). Blake calls it the "snapping a towel" type snap and outward pull, he feels this is best left for up shots and not for full power. I think we are in full agreement that this method of snap is *one* of the methods, and I have analyzed it correctly, but it might be the best one to teach for power shots.

I am trying to get my outward pull to go right around my front knee in a perfect arc so it does not jamb. This is my oldest flaw and Blake said I would never get a truly strong pull until I eliminate the jamb. Blake and I have completely come to an agreement that this arcing pull around the front knee is the correct form to teach, and Blake was throwing that way when he was at his peak.

My snap is strong (the actual wrist pop), but my pull (or "power zone" as Blake calls it) speed has peaked. I am working on cleaning this up. So far so good. I am making some very strong throws and I am getting over my front knee and coming in with speed for the first time ever. I could NEVER do that!!! I always threw kind of around my head and off my back foot. I was always a bit tilted too, and finished off to the side. All of a sudden I am following through straight a lot.

Just like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL2R...mbrickMemorial2009&feature=player_profilepage

I believe this is textbook. His upper body is pinwheeling (like a helicopter) over his front knee. His pull across the his right pec is so strong. His step out is right at the target.

I am really trying to copy this throw.. even the little hitch of the disc, the timing, tempo, everything. This is a monster change for me.

Bradley Walker said:
black udder said:
That all this research into snap and driving has ruined his putting game :lol:

Werd.

I was talkin to beato and I came this same conclusion. I always knew its what I need to really work on, but its much more fun watching a frisbee fly really far.

I played a course last night that if you can throw 400' whenever want you'd get at least another 5 birdie opportunities over somebody who can't. The holes aren't real precise, mainly just being able to throw a turnover or a hyzer. Coupled with the other holes, it could be enough for you to win or make up for mistakes on the precision holes. Putting only works if you can get within your circle and if you can't throw far, then you have to have a huge circle of comfort :p

I got to see this snap method in person today, and it made me realize just how bad my form is. I tried to test it out during the round, but it was just 2 steps back for me. I now understand why brad would have to teach people in person, it's such a complex aspect of form that you can't understand without demonstrations and long explanations.

After absorbing all this information, I now realize just how complex throwing a disc is. I believe the hardest part is actually incorporating all of these techniques into 1 throw, then duplicating that throw every time.

I have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch now that I've realized I'm doing it all wrong. I hope you get that kick ass camera brad, I might be a good subject to visually articulate what most people are doing wrong.

i will be going to Dallas later in the year, possibly september or october. so if anyone cares enough to show me around some of the courses i'm game.

Donkeypuncher said:
I got to see this snap method in person today, and it made me realize just how bad my form is.

We were talking a lot of things, much more than just snap. In fact, I am not sure we talked about the snap much, we were talking about the pull in the power zone nad all of the body positions that best facilitate that.

I would teach snap first (as a separate subject), and then gradually try to improve the pull, body positions, power zone, etc. later.

The "snap method" is used to understand the snap specifically. The popping of the wrist. The levering of the disc. You can snap hard with very poor body positions, really.

PS: Rusty worked the snap using my approach. He worked on it for months and months and months. He now has wonderful snap. Very powerful. Now it is easy to work on the power zone... A few tweaks and I think we picked up 5 MPH last night. I would expect his power position to be 100% better in a few months now that he understands the power zone positions.

masterbeato said:
i will be going to Dallas later in the year, possibly september or october. so if anyone cares enough to show me around some of the courses i'm game.

You should do it Sept 6-12. I'm on vacation then

Bradley Walker said:
We were talking a lot of things, much more than just snap. In fact, I am not sure we talked about the snap much, we were talking about the pull in the power zone and all of the body positions that best facilitate that.

Yeah there was a lot of ah-ha moments for me when you talked about throwing over the knee and correct power zone. I've been watching more barry videos this weekend and I managed to get a few good throws in.

Donkeypuncher said:
I got to see this snap method in person today, and it made me realize just how bad my form is. I tried to test it out during the round, but it was just 2 steps back for me. I now understand why brad would have to teach people in person, it's such a complex aspect of form that you can't understand without demonstrations and long explanations.

After absorbing all this information, I now realize just how complex throwing a disc is. I believe the hardest part is actually incorporating all of these techniques into 1 throw, then duplicating that throw every time.

I have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch now that I've realized I'm doing it all wrong. I hope you get that kick ass camera brad, I might be a good subject to visually articulate what most people are doing wrong.

Posting the results can also give more reviews and opinions.

Well, I'm a long time lurker on these forums, but after reading about this, I just had to join up & post!

I live in North Fort Worth, but I would certainly be willing to make the drive out to the Dallas area to try and learn your snap method. I've started taking my form seriously, and have even stopped using any kind of run-up at the moment so I can focus on my body positions at various stages of the throw. From a standstill I can usually get it out to 300'+ with a max D of ~350'. I have recently started trying to get more snap, and I think that I understand your concept that you've posted here, but would love to be able to get some in-person advice & critique. I'm free most every weekend, and depending on the day, could make a trip out to Dallas during the week some time after 3:00PM.

I've also been meaning to get out that way & visit the Play It Again Sports in Carrollton to check out their used disc collection. Not to mention play some of the courses I've read about on here and DGCR. Alex Clark looks VERY nice!

Anyway, feel free to PM me, or reply back to this thread if you would like to make plans to get together to work on this and possible play a round together!

Thanks to all & look forward to hearing back!

I think there should be a fixed date around September or October. If it could happen on a weekend that would be great. This way everyone who is out of town that could go can have a set date.

I haven't read this entire thread, but it would be awesome if Bradley or Blake or Dan would do trips. I know I'd gladly open my house for some guys to come up to the NE and do a weekend clinic. I'm sure we could get enough folks to chip in $ for a plane ticket, fees and good times to make the trip worth it.

It would be great if we could get the three B's together: Blake, Beato, and Brad. That would be a great, informative session.

Seriously, the 3Bs should think about this. I know ISF Calibration guys who do tours to calibrate audio and video equipment in home theaters and what not. They do quite well. You guys could probably do something similar with calibrating people's form!

I think a clinic type thing would be a good idea. With the few rounds I've played with brad, I've learned a lot of stuff that I would otherwise never even thought of. It's so much more than just the snap method alone, it's insight into the correct form and what you're doing wrong. It reminds me of the perfect baseball swing, and even the perfect way to throw a punch. Your body, weight transfer, form, and levering action plays such a big role, it's hard to grasp the concept until it is explained to you in the right way.