• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Yet another Rules Question, Rev 2.0

DiscJunkie

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
During the local tourney,
from anywhere inside 150',
one of the players would stand behind his disc,
and then pace off the distance to the basket (then mess with the chains like he was straitening them out)
and then pace back to his lie,
then he would take his normal time to line up and throw his putt.
This would usually take a minute or two at each hole, for each putt of any distance.
I don't think there is any rule to prevent pacing off your shot, but this was causing slow play and backups on the course.
What is the ruling on this slow play?
Is there a time limit to prevent slow play?
I looked around the PDGA Rules but did not see anything on this.
Thanks.

801.03 - "Excessive Time":
A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:

The previous player has thrown; and,
The player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
The playing area is clear and free of distractions.

B. A player shall receive a warning for the first excessive time violation if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent excessive time violation in the same round if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

don't quote me but I believe the time to take your shot after marking your lie would be 30 seconds. if it is obviously slowing play the courtesy warning pretty much covers a multitude of infractions.

What about deep knee bends? We have a recently turned grand master; who has been a tourney players for 20 years. During this entire period, he's been a "deep knee bender!" More than 50 have been counted; depending on whether his routine got interrupted during the process. :)

801.03 Excessive Time

A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:

* The previous player has thrown; and,
* The player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
* The playing area is clear and free of distractions.

B. A player shall receive a warning for the first excessive time violation if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent excessive time violation in the same round if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

edit: damn you Ray, you quick bastard!

Last edited:
Me too. I would have to call him on that crap

I pace off anything that appears to be outside 33' but inside 80'.

150' foot shots should not be paced off. it should take him more than 30 seconds to do that so call him on it

Also you are not allowed to mess with anything between you and the basket, including the basket.

B. Obstacles Between the Lie and Hole: A player may not move, alter, bend, break, or hold back any part of any obstacle, including casual obstacles, between the lie and the hole, with one exception: A player may move obstacles between the lie and the hole that became a factor during the round, such as
spectators, players' equipment, open gates, or branches that fell during the round. Where it is not known if an obstacle has become a factor during a round, it shall not be moved. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to make incidental movement of an obstacle.

and

E. A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

Also you are not allowed to mess with anything between you and the basket, including the basket.QUOTE]

Really??? Shouldn't everyone have the opportunity to putt on the same basket? Including position of the chains?

I think you can straighten the chains if they are not seated correctly (i.e. tangled) before you putt. I saw a pro player do this in the Memorial (NT event) when I was there watching.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Also you are not allowed to mess with anything between you and the basket, including the basket.

B. Obstacles Between the Lie and Hole: A player may not move, alter, bend, break, or hold back any part of any obstacle, including casual obstacles, between the lie and the hole, with one exception: A player may move obstacles between the lie and the hole that became a factor during the round, such as
spectators, players' equipment, open gates, or branches that fell during the round. Where it is not known if an obstacle has become a factor during a round, it shall not be moved. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to make incidental movement of an obstacle.

and

E. A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.
How does that include the basket?

and

What are you talking about?

Each target is presumed to have the chains hanging as intended before the start of a round and no twigs or debris in the baskets. The targets are considered "players' equipment" for the purposes of 803.05B posted above. Thus, any time the chains are twisted or there's anything in the basket including a disc left there from a previous group, the next thrower is allowed to remove the item or readjust the chains and that's not on the clock for their 30 seconds.

OCD anyone? That would annoy me...

Well, it annoyed everyone in the group.
They asked me about it (way after the tourney) and I said "He's got 30 seconds. Warn him and then start the penalty strokes."
But I wanted to be sure.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Also thanks for the clarification on the incidental obstacles between the lie and the basket.

This wasn't Chad Parker was it? Nearly every one I played with that shared a card with him complained about that guy.

I would call "30 seconds" on him all round long as soon as it was his turn. I played in a very windy tournament and guys were stalling a lot, trying to wait out the wind, the 30 second rule was used a lot that day.

Also you are not allowed to mess with anything between you and the basket, including the basket.QUOTE]

Really??? Shouldn't everyone have the opportunity to putt on the same basket? Including position of the chains?

I think you can straighten the chains if they are not seated correctly (i.e. tangled) before you putt. I saw a pro player do this in the Memorial (NT event) when I was there watching.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

You are right. I'm pretty sure it was Nikko that did that and I've seen other people do it as well.

After doing that more than once I would say something, 2 minutes a putt is just ridiculous.

The way around it, I suppose, would be to count your paces to the basket, adjust the chains, go back and then drop your mini thus starting the 30 second clock.

and BTW I agree...it seems ridiculous.

Latest posts