• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Young guns accoming

tom12003

Eagle Member
Just finished the 2019 Charlotte Amateur Championships (A Tier, 349 players). MA1 (89 players) was won convincingly by a 14 yr old (Evan Scott, current under 15 US DG Champion). Coming in 3rd was a 15 yr old (Evan Smith) and finishing 4th was Anthony Anselmo (current 12 and under World Champion--also 2 time World Champion at 10 and under), When these 3 mature and progress, they should be familiar names in open in less than 10 years.

Just finished the 2019 Charlotte Amateur Championships (A Tier, 349 players). MA1 (89 players) was won convincingly by a 14 yr old (Evan Scott, current under 15 US DG Champion). Coming in 3rd was a 15 yr old (Evan Smith) and finishing 4th was Anthony Anselmo (current 12 and under World Champion--also 2 time World Champion at 10 and under), When these 3 mature and progress, they should be familiar names in open in less than 10 years.

Man, a few years from now, maybe less than 5, there is going to be some serious competition at the top from more than just a handful of players

Man, a few years from now, maybe less than 5, there is going to be some serious competition at the top from more than just a handful of players

Could be that there will be so many male Open players that seems like at every NT or PT event a tie breaker is going to happen and every player who wins will have to score a record breaker for the course at each tournament. Tournaments played on Golf Courses for NT and PT some will have to change to possibly take off some of the open temporary used traditional ball golf courses used. The NT and PT might have to have courses made for the top level players to use and too difficult for 2/3 of the field, courses like the 2 Millo courses for the Beaver State Fling.

Add some good young European players who started young and the MPO field could look very different in 5 years.

...The NT and PT might have to have courses made for the top level players to use and too difficult for 2/3 of the field, courses like the 2 Millo courses for the Beaver State Fling.

The Milo/BSF courses are NOT "too difficult " for the field. They are so treasured that hundreds of locals show up to play it the first day it's in the ground. Do we throw -12 for 36? No. But over the years I've parred all the holes but one, and birdied a lot of them.

Now, island #7 at Selah Lakeside? To reach it in one throw IS too difficult for most. I watched a group of 10 semi-local Texans try to make the green in one; all they accomplished was 12 discs in the lake (some took 2 discs to comprehend the futility of their efforts).

Last edited:

7th place Gavin Simpson is also young, maybe 15?

Like with all kids, it depends on whether they keep their interests going as they become more independent. Plenty of young talents in all activities burnout because it was driven more by their strict parents than by themselves.

...and there was at least one who is 15 in the tie for 8th.

I know that Kennan Johnson who was in the big 8th place log jam is under 18. Played in the same C tier as him this weekend. He shot a 1015 rated round playing the course blind. Lot of young guns out there who are super talented. Like someone said above though, not all of them will decide to pursue playing professionally. It's a big lifestyle commitment, and many of them get burnt out by the time they independently make all of their own choices.

7th place Gavin Simpson is also young, maybe 15?

Like with all kids, it depends on whether they keep their interests going as they become more independent. Plenty of young talents in all activities burnout because it was driven more by their strict parents than by themselves.

Or they decide to pursue a career that they can make a living doing. I seriously doubt many of these young kids are being pressured by their parents to play a sport that even if they become one of the top 10 pros, they will still be denied for a mortgage because their annual income hovers right around the poverty line.

Sounds like the young guns that will be successful in 5 years will most likely be the ones with a trust fund, or well-to-do parents. That's if they don't burn out.

Met Paul McBeth's Grandpa in 2008 at the KC Wide Open. He told me he was hauling his Grandson around the country to play different tournaments. His Grandpa was very proud of him and seemed to really enjoyed being his chauffeur.

Met Paul McBeth's Grandpa in 2008 at the KC Wide Open. He told me he was hauling his Grandson around the country to play different tournaments. His Grandpa was very proud of him and seemed to really enjoyed being his chauffeur.

Wonders if kid is already getting overrun with sponsors.

Or they decide to pursue a career that they can make a living doing. I seriously doubt many of these young kids are being pressured by their parents to play a sport that even if they become one of the top 10 pros, they will still be denied for a mortgage because their annual income hovers right around the poverty line.

More and more the better disc companies are helping players make more money off the sport with signature discs, and helping the touring pros run for profit Disc Golf tournaments or ones that the pro sells extra discs at. Still the players are in the top 10 they will be making with everything about 20,000 to 30,000. So yeah few players are pressured by parents to do well in this sport but some are pressured more simply to parents that are playing the sport as well.

Well one things for sure with these kids they have a benefit of technology that many of us didn't in our youth. Lots of information and videos, a staggering amount of good plastic and a lot more courses. The tools are there and opportunities.

Well one things for sure with these kids they have a benefit of technology that many of us didn't in our youth. Lots of information and videos, a staggering amount of good plastic and a lot more courses. The tools are there and opportunities.

Also knowing about the sport well before age 12 for almost all of the top Pro players even now. There are athletic exceptions of people coming from other sports, Paul McBeth was playing baseball at one point and a top level Pro female who went pro the mid 2000's was doing Discus in high school and for a brief period in Collage/University as well as Javelin before she dropped out to do Disc Golf as a Pro.

And I believe Sarah Hokum was a tennis pro.. Or was it Paige Pierce.. Anyways a background in sports especially throwing sports helps. I've played with a kid from Nanaimo a few times over the last 10yrs.. I remember when he got a bird up here and he was happy cuz his mom got par... now he throws 400+ probably can't drink legally and is one of the main guys to beat if he's hot.

Hmmm way off haha.. Now that I think about it she's definitely MVP.. I was talking to her in one of the threads.. I got her name in my head now, or her online one anyways haha. She made a quick transition from tennis into the disc sports and onto a team.

Either way any sports experience is better than none.

More and more the better disc companies are helping players make more money off the sport with signature discs, and helping the touring pros run for profit Disc Golf tournaments or ones that the pro sells extra discs at. Still the players are in the top 10 they will be making with everything about 20,000 to 30,000. So yeah few players are pressured by parents to do well in this sport but some are pressured more simply to parents that are playing the sport as well.

Are you sure that players in the top 10 are making that little money? I thought all of the top 10 players got a base salary and most of their signature discs sell at least 5000. They get $5 a disc so that can add up. They should be making more than 20000-30000