• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Your favorite 'NEW to you' disc you've tried in the last 6-12 months?

I actually throw the mold a lot and have been for a few years, but not in the specific plastic.

Pro Destroyers bomb!

I finally found a stack that has good dome and decent PLH. These things have me hyzer-flipping forehand, throwing huge (for me) backhand turnovers and generally effortless distance. Lots of people throw star destroyers, and if you do, do yourself a favor and try them out in pro plastic.

I used to only really use star destroyers for big any forehands and backhand skip shots. This plastic allows me to use them backhand without trying too hard or ruining my form trying to throw anhyzer-flex everything.

Funny, my newest disc is a found Pro Destroyer. I agree on the glide. I compared to other similar flying understable discs (it's NOT comparable to a star Destroyer) and it goes. I'm liking it and bagging it as my understable distance driver.

I actually found two Pro Destroyers that day, one with a name... I now understand why the guy was soo excited when I called&returned it to him.

I like Pro Destroyers, preferably in the lower 160s, also. It's still relatively overstable for my noodle arm, but it flies very well for me into headwinds. I'm also starting to prefer good Pro plastic, even over Star..

I earlier said FD but one other disc that has also helped my FH game (and BH, too) was the glow C-line PD2. Those just BOMB. Out of the box they are straight but have serious glide for those that have enough power. Now I'm trying to track down enough of them to stash away for years to come...lol

Are they grippy? All the glow I've tried from Innova are super slick.

Discraft Sting. Such effortlessly controllable hyzerflips and turnovers. It's what I always wanted a Leopard to be.

I had said the Berg before, but I've been loving the Zombee lately too. Zombee is helping me hit big hyzer flips in the woods where the Stalker is too stable. Fits my arm speed really well for BH's.

The flow has been a great addition to my bag. I had it sitting around for a few years without ever throwing it then decided to give it another spin. It is a fantastic forehand disc. Good glide and fairly stable. If i'm in the woods and need a long forehand this is the disc. It has a super comfortable rim as well, 11 speed and deep. Perfect for me. I'll also throw it backhand for a long anny line that will fade out eventually.

This season I wanted to give DGA a fair shot. So, I picked up a hand full of various molds including the Tremor, Banzai, Pipeline, Torrent, Riptide, and Quake. A couple of these stand out and I intend to try some of their other stuff...

First off, the Quake is money! For a significantly overstable mid this disc has a bunch of glide. I now have the Quake in both SP/ Proline and alternate them both in my bag. No more foolin with Zones or Gators.

Seconds and Third. I used the Pipeline and Banzai side by side. For anyone who has not tried these molds out; they are missing out. The Banzai immediately kicked out my Eagles Xs and the Pipeline easily replaces my ESP Undertakers. Plus I think they are made from the same mold so they feel similar

Are they grippy? All the glow I've tried from Innova are super slick.

They are the same as the softer C-Line out nowdays. They bomb though. Only a few holes I can even break these out on around here.

More grippy than champ. Less grippy than the new embossed star Innova is running now.

Most recent new disc in my bag is the Barsby Roadrunner. I lost an old beloved sidewinder and decided not to wait until I beat a new one in. The barsby RR is great right out of the box.

For this category I'm going to say champion Roc3. Outstanding disc. I found one in a lake that's kind of a beater. I took it to a course to throw it with the intention of leaving it there for someone else to find. Let's just say I ended up taking the Roc3 back home with me. Its a great mid. It takes power better than a Buzz and goes every bit as far for me. Totally resistant to flipping and has a perfect flat flight. Every throw I did with it was right on the money and felt perfect.

I feel like I've been missing out by not trying one of these prior.

Basically any of my discs because I'm newer to the sport, but I'd specifically say teebird. My 11x is about perfect

Basically any of my discs because I'm newer to the sport, but I'd specifically say teebird. My 11x is about perfect

Your loss (as a newb) that you got hooked on that plastic. The Teebird's on the shelves nowadays are every bit as good, if not better, than that overpriced 15 y/o plastic.

Just recently got back into teebirds. I thought nothing could replace my 11x birds when I lost them. Turns out they started making good teebirds again. The Jen Allen teebirds from last year are pretty much exactly the same.

Champion Shark 3 bought in January for midrange shots though I use Shark mold as approach disc/driving putter slot before that so does that count? Before this I was trying to force DX Stingray for a midrange disc and that was not working. I also like the Z Stalker I got a few months ago to replace the old worn out Elite Z XL I had. The Z Stalker is more in flight like an ESP XL I have still in my bag, just without the dumpy turn at end of flight. Z XL had more a flippy flight to it with the Dumpy turn at end of flight.

You know, my game wasn't broke, but I am an advocate of continuous improvement. So, I wanted to see if I could improve with new tools.

Over the last 12-18 months, I tried a handful of new molds, different weights, and plastics.

The vulture was my favorite driver, but I thought it was a lot like an Orc. I've thrown Orcs for years, and have a good number of that mold in different stages of wear. So, while I loved the way the Vulture flies, it didn't make sense for me to go through the 'beat in' process all over again. Vultures out, Orcs back in.

I've been throwing TeeBirds for years, as such, most of the ones I have are 11x era and difficult to replace. So, I started looking for a 'beat in TeeBird flight' out of the box. I tried Escapes, Heat, & Undertakers. All good discs, but not what I was looking for. Escape, Heat, Undy's out, TeeBirds in.

I've putted with Wizards & Challengers for years. I like the consistency of the Challenger more, but the Gateway plastic is better. I tried Judges in the last year. They were ok, but not as good (for me) as the Challenger or Wizard. Then I discovered RB Challengers - GAME OVER.

Throwing far is cool, but you'll save more strokes around the green than off the tee. I also tried a handful of new mids, but I think I prefer to throw putters instead...

RB? you mean JB plastic? Yeah I did that with Magnets just over a year ago in August 2017 as I damaged a regular Pro D Magnet on a tree during a putt. I still have my old Stiff Pro D Magnet from year before the plastic changed. The JB is much better plastic though it does get a tad bit to much grip in temps over 89-90 F. That just might be the run of the JB plastic I got at the time though.

Latest posts