• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You've got the look, you've got the hook...

ray1970

* Ace Member *
Kona only has 55k Instagram followers?

I would've thought with all this talk about her social media presence and the salary they are paying her, that number would've been way higher.

Well, if one third of her followers buy one disc from Innova at $18 then that's nearly $350,000 in disc sales. If half of them buy just one of her tour series discs for $20 then that's over half a million dollars in disc sales.

Maybe a third or half of her followers buying discs might be a pipe dream but I have to think some percentage of them will buy a disc and some percentage of them might buy two or three discs so I'd almost be willing to bet that the total dollar amount of disc sales from having her on the team will likely well exceed what they are paying her. (I don't know exactly what total sales amounts actually translate to profits though.)

Plus, if we're being honest, if you look through the entire FPO field and had to pick one of them to represent your brand based solely on looks alone she would have to be near the top of your list.

I think her social media and the fact that she seems to do well on camera definitely helps, but she also bumped her rating 20pts this year and you have to think they are banking on her not being a finished product.

She goes out there and gets to 970 using their discs, that is probably what they are hoping for.

I think her social media and the fact that she seems to do well on camera definitely helps, but she also bumped her rating 20pts this year and you have to think they are banking on her not being a finished product.

She goes out there and gets to 970 using their discs, that is probably what they are hoping for.

This makes a lot of sense.

I like Kona and have followed her climb through FPO this year. I was very psyched to see her dominate at Waco, and could tell it was very meaningful to her.

I only think it was unfortunate that she spent so much time focusing on Kristin's contract, instead of focusing on her own worth. IMO, she just put so much pressure on herself to match Kristin's performance, instead of focusing on what she brings to the table.

Plus, if we're being honest, if you look through the entire FPO field and had to pick one of them to represent your brand based solely on looks alone she would have to be near the top of your list.

I didn't want to say it. But thanks for saying it :hfive:

That casual round with Kona was really awkward (as was Matty O's).

At least give her some more time with your discs first and maybe a host with a better personality.

Missed 20 footers and shanks, along with forced dialogue/banter are not starting this social media blitz off right.

As for those commenting on her looks, I wonder why a lot of women don't feel comfortable playing disc golf?

Haven't watched the Kona one yet, but the Matty Onone I feel like was pretty accurate to just watching him play a casual round. He was fairly animated but that seems normal for him.

I didn't want to say it. But thanks for saying it :hfive:

At least give her some more time with your discs first and maybe a host with a better personality.

Missed 20 footers and shanks, along with forced dialogue/banter are not starting this social media blitz off right.

As for those commenting on her looks, I wonder why a lot of women don't feel comfortable playing disc golf?

Agreed, was cringe worthy.

cringe worthy or not, marketing 101 starts with appearance. That actually goes for both male and female product representatives.

Worth repeating. Think whatever you want about someone looks. Just because you have a thought, doesn't mean you have to comment. Some things are much better left unsaid.

I was just thinking that Kona's "looks" would be very positive for a company's marketing. So poised and professional. Much like Holly Finley. Or should I pretend that looks don't matter?

I was just thinking that Kona's "looks" would be very positive for a company's marketing. So poised and professional. Much like Holly Finley. Or should I pretend that looks don't matter?

You should probably not pretend that this mentality and thought process on womens looks is not problematic.

Last edited:
You should probably not pretend that this mentality and thought process on womens looks is not problematic.

This is way too PC. Attraction is built in to our DNA. Who or after what is perceived as attractive varies.

There is nothing vulgar in the statements that have been made.

I don't understand the mentality that acknowledging this bias exists is improper. I don't understand how acknowledging someone is attractive in a general sense is improper.

Once again, there is no innuendo or cat calls.

OTOH, I've seen people do the puppy dog thing when a woman enters a male dominated arena. That's not what's being discussed here either.

I thought both were entertaining and could care less how they throw discs they don't know yet. Eric McCabe is the same guy on camera always. He is a laid back midwesterner, but he is the most well known face of DD management.

As far as looks and athletes.. it doesn't hurt men or women to be considered attractive when getting new deals/endorsements. As a huge fan of many sports, I'm around women all the time who have zero problem talking about the looks of different male players.

I'd never be for anyone cat calling an athlete at a live even or when they see them in public, but the reality is most people are always going to pay attention to how someone looks or presents themselves. That isn't going to change. It didn't hurt Kristin or Kona that both are considered fit or attractive athletes, but they will have to perform if they want to stay near the top of the payscale.

This thread has all the speculation and intrigue of a bunch of nosy old hens gossiping about the neighborhood trollop.

And now it's time for another episode of,
As the Disc Turns...

cringe worthy or not, marketing 101 starts with appearance. That actually goes for both male and female product representatives.

Sure that Ricky guy is a real looker, lolol. Since this is a sport, I still believe that performance is the most important aspect, and the one that most athletes prefer to talk about and focus on.

Seriously though, I just watched his presser. He struck me as being very personable, very humble, and realistic about his abilities and his place in the game. Very impressive.

Context

This is way too PC. Attraction is built in to our DNA. Who or after what is perceived as attractive varies.

There is nothing vulgar in the statements that have been made.

I don't understand the mentality that acknowledging this bias exists is improper. I don't understand how acknowledging someone is attractive in a general sense is improper.

Once again, there is no innuendo or cat calls.

OTOH, I've seen people do the puppy dog thing when a woman enters a male dominated arena. That's not what's being discussed here either.
It's more nuanced than that though isn't it? I'm not sure it matters if it's PC or not so much as if there is a real problem involving how female disc golfers are talked about.
I think three facts that give context to talking about attractiveness of athletes in disc golf currently:
First, that many FPO players have reported feeling uncomfortable (or flat out verbally abused and/or objectified) both online and in-person.
Second, that male DG player's attractiveness is almost never discussed, here or broadly.
Third, that disc golf is overwhelmingly played and consumed as a product by males which means we often talking to an echo chamber on these matters.

So sure, academically, in a vacuum, what you're saying is undeniably true with regard to attractiveness coloring opinion, hell, even success in the workplace. There is a lot of academic literature on this. However, to say it's "too PC" is dismissive in a way that fails to acknowledge real issues in the sport and society broadly.

It's one thing to appreciate that someone is attractive.

Not hard to see how being objectified may deter some women from pursuing certain sports and activities. If you don't understand that some (if not most) women want to be acknowledged for who they are and their accomplishments, rather than for how they look, I can't help you.

Just because society has created a double standard where women's looks are constantly talked about, and men's looks are barely a thing, doesn't mean everyone's accepting of it, or even should be. I'd like to think we're capable of moving beyond that.

Last edited: